NAFA SALE!!! Time to make some money!!!............maybe.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The NAFA sale starts soon and this will be my first time selling fur I've trapped. I have 37 coyote furs up there waiting to sell. It would be real nice to see strong prices for this sale, just like in the last one. However, price won't keep me from going after them again this year. This should be an interesting experience for me. My anticipation level is rising as we speak, much like the anticipation for opening day of deer season. Good Luck to all the trappers with goods on the auction block. Here's to hoping for a lucrative sale.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll try to trap just about anything, but I'm set up for mainly canines and coons. I plan on expanding when I have enough cash to aquire the equipment. I'm hoping to use only the revenue from the furs to buy more equipment, so if I make nothing, I get nothing. Makes for a fairly adequate motivating factor if I want some more stuff.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
what prices are you expecting? how prepared is your fur? just curious. i kno very little about fur

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Furs were fleshed and stretched. I can't say what the auction prices will be and I broke my crystal ball, but I'm hoping for at least 75 bucks a piece for the coyotes. That way I can get a bench mounted cable cutter, swagger, and enough cable to make about a thousand snares and extensions to match. However, reality has a funny way of messing with any plans I make.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
After you skin them, you flesh then stretch, correct? Do you put anything on them like salt? Wash them? Freeze them? I did some foxes 20 odd years ago that had the tails rot and I am not sure what ever happened to the rest of them.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just flesh and put on a stretcher. No need for salt. The tails need to be split all the way to the tip. If u don't they will fill up with the grease coming out of the skin and rot.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
good luck KDM! let me know how it goes, im hoping next year to have a lot bigger snare line now that i somewhat know what im doing! it would be fun to get into it like you have skinning stretching tanning and finally selling! very jealous, i have so much to learn yet! but im excited to do it!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Arrow. You don't have to tan a fur to sell at NAFA. In fact I don't think they will even accept a tanned fur. Just flesh, stretch, and dry. It is most definately an addicting endeavor however.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck Kirk! I've got 41 up on this sale. Everything I've heard says coyotes should be as good as the last 2 sales. We should have lotting letters posted today or tomorrow. Coyotes should be selling Sunday morning, and you can listen to the auction live which is pretty neat.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM my nephew averaged $77 this year so hope you do well too. My brother has a small farm on the wooded area along the Sheyenne river. He is much like you. He has been getting a fisher every year since the season opened.

Last edited:

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yep prices have been good the last couple years. I'm rolling an $87 average on the 42 that I've sold through NAFA so far this year. But I don't expect the 41 I have on this sale to average quite that good though.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
that's amazing - an old school road hunting spot/stalk goober such as myself could come close to paying for his gas!

- - - Updated - - -

but if you factor in liquor/meds for dealing with the crippling effects of walking in deep snow I'd lose money so... I will continue to lay on the couch in the winter

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Arrow. You don't have to tan a fur to sell at NAFA. In fact I don't think they will even accept a tanned fur. Just flesh, stretch, and dry. It is most definately an addicting endeavor however.

well that is one less step for me to learn then! i guess ya that would make sense to not tan them, now if i could just find a house to buy and get my shop set up in time for next winter i would be set to do my skinning and fleshing and drying, what kind of equipment will i need to do whatever needs to be done for preparing fur for those sales, i should start looking into getting some of that.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest items will be a fleshing beam, fleshing knife and some stretchers. An electric hoist is not a necessity but is damn handy, and I am adding a bracket for a skinning machine. No more cramped hands from cold coyotes for me :D

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74