Crazy Hunter Harassment Duck Hunting In North Dakota (Game Warden Involved!)

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember one time helping to set a recorded section corner for a development outside of Fargo. There were three other section corner set within about a 6' circle in the area. I also remember setting one and removing another surveyors section corner after getting permission due to a found error in the original survey. It's been a quite a few years since i did legal surveying work and i can't remember if you find the original corner stone if that is the legal corner even if your calculations for where it should be don't match it.

I still don't think the hunters did anything wrong, and without the landowner having a professional survey done and proving his property line is actually out into the bean field I don't think there is anything that could be done to them. I also have to wonder if the landowner would have just parked next to their blind and stayed in his field or drove back and forth if it would have been still considered hunter harassment?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy's got a more screws loose than not that's for sure. They were right on the edge yes, but i think he became unhinged because it messed up his hunt; it happens. What immaturity though. "You should have came and talked to me" - guaranteed he woulda told them hell no. Otherwise, why didn't he go over and talk to them? Then when the young guy said he tried a few times to contact him, he said you gotta try harder. Can't win when arguing a dolt. THEN, he admits he cut his corn the day before, why the hell would they ask for permission to set decoys in an unharvested corn field? He likely buried any chance he had at some sort of legal win when he tried multiple times to bribe the guys. I had a few buddies who at that age were looking for a reason to bust someones teeth, he's a lucky they were level headed when he got in their faces yelling like a lunatic, coulda had a much worse ending for everyone. Just another guy who wants to own everything but the video isn't doing much good besides stirring things up.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is off subject but it has to do with property or borders in regards to fishing waters, I used the fishidy app quite extensively when i fished Devils Lake. Before the Game and fish opened up lake alice to fishing there were people who would fish this irrigation channel that fed into Lake Irvine. He posted and shared his waypt to the public but when looking at his coordinates on google earth you could clearly see he was actually fishing on lake alice which was illegal at that time. I think some game wardens where acting like this land owner and confronting fisherman. So the next thing the Game and fish did before eventually opening up the refuge was to put out signs every so many feet down the border that runs along the irvine and alice lakes.
I can see that this land owner was upset because most likely this area is a resting stop for migrating birds and he has probably dealt with others in the past who may indeed have encroached on to his property. The land owners of this area need to come to some kind of agreement or understanding where exactly the property line is and to have put a marker there to clearly show said line. Just like the game and fish did up on lake alice/ irivne border JMTC

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hopefully I can put this to rest on what i'm saying and unwind some peoples panties from a bunch. I am open to a discussion debating anything I have said and since i feel you keep directing this at me, which i could be wrong about i'm just going to reply to you.
1. never once did i say i agreed with the way this a-hole handled the situation or did i ever say he was right in what he did or that the kids were trespassing. I actually said i would have hunted the same way the hunters were.
2. trespassing is trespassing whether it is one foot or a hundred and once again i never said they did trespass. I don't think that is debatable, but what is debatable is how a person handles it. Once again i never said he acted appropriately, and if someone trespass on your lawn you have every right to yell and scream and blow your top or not say anything at all and smile and wave.
3. I stated onx is not the end all be all accuracy everyone wants to claim on property lines, i deal with surveying for my job and onx claims 5-10' accuracy generally, could be better could be worse. It is of my opinion that if you wouldn't trust it for your lot boundary for a fence or anything like that you shouldn't trust it for hunting on the gnats ass edge of a property.

Hopefully i can have a legit discussion on if what i am saying is wrong or if it is just that you don't disagree. Maybe i typed something that came across differently than i meant, i would actually appreciate a debate rather than just being called an unintelligent a-hole like someone else has called me. i will be interested to see if he gets hunter harassment charges as i think it would be tough to prove they were or were not trespassing without a professional survey.
Nope, not directed at you at all.
I once drove an access road to my good friends field, the road however was his neighbors. Fucking 80 year old ass hole chased me up the road and used the nastiest language in front of my wife and at the time 4-6 year old children.

People like this earn the bad mouthing they get, fuck that guy, and fuck this more present example of complete pieces of shit that should be punched out on the spot.

Again, unless you are the guy, I have nothing against your post, or your opinion, in fact I appreciate it.

Sorry for making it seem as though my tough guy internet nonsense was directed at you.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, not directed at you at all.
I once drove an access road to my good friends field, the road however was his neighbors. Fucking 80 year old ass hole chased me up the road and used the nastiest language in front of my wife and at the time 4-6 year old children.

People like this earn the bad mouthing they get, fuck that guy, and fuck this more present example of complete pieces of shit that should be punched out on the spot.

Again, unless you are the guy, I have nothing against your post, or your opinion, in fact I appreciate it.

Sorry for making it seem as though my tough guy internet nonsense was directed at you.
No problem, I just seemed like I touched some nerves and I read into what you were posting too much. I'm definitely not that guy in the video and while I do have a temper and I used to lose my cool a lot I keep it pretty much in check now days. Even when I had someone who also had permission to hunt some land i was on scope check me with his rifle, i was 200 yards away wearing blaze orange, he had to know what i was without pointing his rifle at me.

I had the neighbors cows get into my food plots one time, it doesn't take a herd of cows long to completely destroy a couple acres of oats and millet. I probably would have lost my temper pretty good had the owner of the cows showed up when I was chasing them out of there, but luckily I had ten minutes to cool down and just let him know that I can't have that happen again and I would help buy new wire for the fence if he wanted to string it up.

I also had a guy drive right up to my posted sign and look at it then continue to drive past it. I pulled up next to him when he was leaving and seen he had a young very happy kid with him and it settled me down some. I just let him know i seen him drive by the sign and that we were still hunting and had tags left and to not do it again, but right away when i seen it i was pretty pissed. Edited to add the posted sign was at the gate into a pasture, nowhere near a section line and not a through trail.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Charges pending according the Grand Forks Herald headline

It's a pay site - so I've no idea what the charges are or who.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
No problem, I just seemed like I touched some nerves and I read into what you were posting too much. I'm definitely not that guy in the video and while I do have a temper and I used to lose my cool a lot I keep it pretty much in check now days. Even when I had someone who also had permission to hunt some land i was on scope check me with his rifle, i was 200 yards away wearing blaze orange, he had to know what i was without pointing his rifle at me.

I had the neighbors cows get into my food plots one time, it doesn't take a herd of cows long to completely destroy a couple acres of oats and millet. I probably would have lost my temper pretty good had the owner of the cows showed up when I was chasing them out of there, but luckily I had ten minutes to cool down and just let him know that I can't have that happen again and I would help buy new wire for the fence if he wanted to string it up.

I also had a guy drive right up to my posted sign and look at it then continue to drive past it. I pulled up next to him when he was leaving and seen he had a young very happy kid with him and it settled me down some. I just let him know i seen him drive by the sign and that we were still hunting and had tags left and to not do it again, but right away when i seen it i was pretty pissed.
I am a little confused- you had a guy pull up to one of your posted signs and that pissed you off ?

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait, what!?!?!? The standard has been reversed to where one now has to prove themselves innocent as opposed to being proven guilty?

Whoa! That's not cool.
Where you been Allen? It has been that way for quite awhile. 'If you are accused you are guilty'. Except if you have a D behind your name.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a little confused- you had a guy pull up to one of your posted signs and that pissed you off ?
I apologize, i could have worded that better, he pulled up to the posted sign at the gate, looked at it, then continued to drive into the property down my trail that is not on a section line or anywhere near a section line and dead ended at the end of my property. I could have chased him down and chewed him out but I just waited at the gate since i knew there was no where else for him to go. I don't mind honest mistakes, but yes i was pissed at the blatant disregard for the posted sign.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Charges pending according the Grand Forks Herald headline

It's a pay site - so I've no idea what the charges are or who.
Yeah its nothing but jibberish , no new info at all .. BTW I refuse to pay for those sites , there is always some other way to get the info .

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The hypothetical question I have is this:

"Would the confrontation with the yelling and ripping around on the SxS when birds were headed into the decoys have still played out the same way if the hunters were say 5'-10' further onto the beans?"

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member

"Would the confrontation with the yelling and ripping around on the SxS when birds were headed into the decoys have still played out the same way if the hunters were say 5'-10' further onto the beans?"
doubt it.
Hence the reason I said earlier, just because setting up there is legal, still don't make it smart. Asking for confrontation if you ask me. Not confrontation like that, but probably a visit...

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Makes me want to go to this very area and force this guys head to literally explode with a mild and legal bit of my shenanigans.
ha ha ha...let me know when you do, I'll pay to watch the show....ha ha ha johnr you the man I can see it now....

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I suspect the jackwad would have still driven over to just screw up their hunt for a while simply because he was mad about being inconvenienced by someone hunting the neighbor's property. I've seen it a few times.

Years ago I had a rancher come out and harass me as I was bowhunting public land adjacent to his place. A herd of mule deer with a couple really nice bucks were bedding at his place and had a very preferred spot to jump the fence over onto the public land they would cross to reach their feeding area. I was setup roughly 20-30 yds from the fence line and he was headed out with 2 suburbans filled with his pay-for-hunt clients that day, so he just happened to drive almost a mile across the public land to "check" on me to make sure I wasn't hunting his land. Yep, it served his purpose in wrecking my hunt that morning. Back then I carried a handheld GPS to document my walks simply because he wasn't the only neighbor to that public section that tried to keep me from hunting it.

It happens all across the state.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
What if this was a grassy property line and you set up right next to a fence? Hard to expect someone to not set up in the grass. In this case they could have been 5-10’ off the line to be extra safe but that doesn’t mean they should have had to. This guy probably would have been just as irate!

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
doubt it.
Hence the reason I said earlier, just because setting up there is legal, still don't make it smart. Asking for confrontation if you ask me. Not confrontation like that, but probably a visit...
What if they were a foot away from the corn stubble? Smart? Still asking for confrontation? What if you own the land?

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never said OnX is based off of legal surveys or is as accurate. Property lines are not just plotted Willy nilly on some background imagery, it’s all tied together with GPS.

like someone said before if this GIS data in OnX that is from the county databases is not trustworthy enough to rely on to make sure you are not trespassing then what should we have to rely on? Legal surveys for hunting? I don’t think so! If this GIS data is good enough for electric posting it is good enough for me to use!

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never said OnX is based off of legal surveys or is as accurate. Property lines are not just plotted Willy nilly on some background imagery, it’s all tied together with GPS.

like someone said before if this GIS data in OnX that is from the county databases is not trustworthy enough to rely on to make sure you are not trespassing then what should we have to rely on? Legal surveys for hunting? I don’t think so! If this GIS data is good enough for electric posting it is good enough for me to use!
I'm not saying not to use onx or that onx isn't close it's situations, it's when inches or feet may make a difference i wouldn't trust it. Yes a lot of dat is tied in with gps now, but many parcels are not especially if it's never been sold or needed to be done and was sold based on legal description. At that point the plats are plotted off of old descriptions hopefully from a known point but small errors grow the farther you get from the known point.

There is a lot of coordinate adjustments and other factors that go into accurate survey data. Even though surveying is a big portion of my professional career i wouldn't trust myself to go off of city plat and gis data to stake my own property for a fence if there were no property corners found. I'm sure i could get it close with a couple long tape measures and i could put the fence up and 99 times out of a 100 the neighbors wouldn't know any better or make a big stink about it, but the 1 time a neighbor would, i would have to get a professional survey done, if my fence was on their property i would have to move it. Just like in this situation almost everytime there wouldn't be a big confrontation about hunting on or near the property line. but i would assume if the landowner caused a big enough stink and pushed it far enough, had the survey done and were able to prove they were on his property he could charge them for trespass.

This is all hypothetical, maybe he recently had a property survey done on that field for some reason and knew where the property line actually was or had a good idea. Maybe he did decide to stay back a ways with his corn field and the other landowne decided to plant it, or the other landowner planted beans before his corn and this guy instead of planting over his beans stayed to the inside. If we are going to trust a phone gps and onx i don't know why we wouldn't trust the multi thousand dollar gps systems on tractors now days. i could hunt the rest of my life and probably never experience this, but a pissed off landowner can sure create problems like the guy in wyoming about corner crossing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 43
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14