suppressor help

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I want to buy a couple suppressors. I have the Thunderbeast ultra 7 gen 2 in 30 cal and the thunderbeast model 22 take down picked out. I tried to go to scheels to buy them and to my surprise i have to make an appointment. Ok no big deal- but apparently they only appointments they do are during the day (tues, wed, thursday) with the latest appointment being at 2:15. How is that convenient for anyone? I was a little annoyed with that. I also asked about putting them in a trust. They told me that they dont do trusts and that i would need to have a trust made before hand and that then i could have them put it in the trust. But the kicker to that is the people on the trust, have to be there at the same time i am doing the purchasing. This really this has become a way bigger process then i ever expected.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? Or the way scheels handles this? Is there anywhere else to buy the suppressors that seem to be a little more customer friendly with this process?

thanks for the help

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got mine from dakota suppressor, which has been renamed now, but they do the trust and everything for you. It really is stupid that it is so difficult to buy a suppressor, the logic behind it is seriously flawed.... I think they are typically at the gun shows that are held every year or you can buy online maybe?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you make a trust, just list yourself initially. then you are the only one who needs to be there at the time of purchase/pick up. then you should be able to add others later.

other than the wait time, i had a great experience with silencer central. but, i've also heard really good things about our local gun shops too. although, i am not sure how thrilled they are to do it cause i don't think they make a lot of money considering the time and paperwork they have into it by the time its done.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
if you make a trust, just list yourself initially. then you are the only one who needs to be there at the time of purchase/pick up. then you should be able to add others later.

other than the wait time, i had a great experience with silencer central. but, i've also heard really good things about our local gun shops too. although, i am not sure how thrilled they are to do it cause i don't think they make a lot of money considering the time and paperwork they have into it by the time its done.

Ok, that makes more sense. I just didnt feel very confident in what i was doing when i left scheels.

Any recommendations on a local shop? What suppressors did you roll with? i thought i had my mind made up on what to get, but i can be changed pretty easily just with simple A+ customer service. I totally get the time and such that it takes to do the paperwork and such. Just seemed like scheels didnt care that i wanted to spend $1800 with them.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I got mine from dakota suppressor, which has been renamed now, but they do the trust and everything for you. It really is stupid that it is so difficult to buy a suppressor, the logic behind it is seriously flawed.... I think they are typically at the gun shows that are held every year or you can buy online maybe?
what kind did u go with?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dakota Silencer is now Silencer Central: https://www.silencercentral.com/
They are run out of Sioux Falls SD, and have this thing down to a science.
I know Thunderbeasts are great cans, but the Silencer Centrals Banish line holds their own. I have 3 of them and they're all great.

IME, you want a centerfire can that comes apart for cleaning. Anyone that says you don't have to clean them either doesn't shoot much, or likes their cans to fill with carbon.

Also, I agree with espringers above. Do a trust, but only put yourself on it at first. That will remove some up-front paperwork headaches, and may reduce your wait time. You can always add others to the trust later.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dakota Silencer - Silence Central is whom I went with and it was an easy process. Being with Dirtymike at a sports show while consuming adult beverages made it an even easier process.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Federal Tax Stamp (Each) (Qty: 2)
Banish 22 COM (Each) (Qty: 1)
Devour Suppressor Cover - 9"-ARMY CAMO (Each) (Qty: 1)
Thread Adapter 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 (Each) (Qty: 1)
Baffle Removal Tool (Each) (Qty: 1)
Banish 30 COM (Each) (Qty: 1)

the above is a copy and paste of the order. if memory serves, this was some black friday type sale or some shit. i got the 2nd one for 50% off if i remember. so, i figured buy once cry once. everyone who shoots one, says you will want one for "all your guns". which i guess inevitably means you will want at least one 22+ cal and a 30+ cal can? i also believe the cover, adapter and removal tool were free add ons. but, if you spend $2k with them, they best toss you some "free" shit i would think.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went through TAG Firearms in Bismarck. He was awesome to work with, set up my trust for me and had thunderbeast suppressors in stock. I have two 30 cal ultra 9's from him that have been excellent and i went with the dead air mask 22lr from him. Great correspondence and help.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
those of you that did silencer central out of souix falls, did u have to personally go there to do all the paper work and fingerprinting stuff? im going to compare the two suppressors- i want light weight and not extremely long which is why i was thinking the 7" thunderbeast

as far as the trust goes, should i just go and do a trust online like this before hand? or is there some place/ something better?

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might be a silly question here, but let's say a person goes out and starts a trust under his name only and then something happens to him (gets killed by a rabid moose, or something). What legally becomes of the firearm and silencer? Would that person's heirs be afoul of the law as soon as they inherit a silenced firearm?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go through Silencer Central, they do the trust for you, and you can do everything online / through the mail.
Also, the Bannish 30 can be a 7 or 9" can. There's like a 7" main can that you can use by itself, or you can add the 2" (2 baffle) extension. I always use it in 9" mode for maximum suppression, but if I was doing a mountain hunt or something, I might try it in 7" mode.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Might be a silly question here, but let's say a person goes out and starts a trust under his name only and then something happens to him (gets killed by a rabid moose, or something). What legally becomes of the firearm and silencer? Would that person's heirs be afoul of the law as soon as they inherit a silenced firearm?
i asked about that also when at scheels, they said it would go to the estate. They also said that if i put someone on the trust under 18 (that person would act as a beneficiary) and when said person turned 21 they could apply to get it back.. but where it goes if something like that happens they didnt tell me.

hunter

Flickertail firearms in devils lake. Brett is the man. He will help you every step of the way and then some. He sets up your trust and does your fingerprints and pictures in house and submits all the paperwork and is very very reasonable. Hes a active and career military man so his knowledge and expertise and willinginess to dumb it down for an average joe like me is top notch.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I went through TAG Firearms in Bismarck. He was awesome to work with, set up my trust for me and had thunderbeast suppressors in stock. I have two 30 cal ultra 9's from him that have been excellent and i went with the dead air mask 22lr from him. Great correspondence and help.
im going to give them a call and see what he can do. i would prefer to stay local but i just want a nice and easy process.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Flickertail firearms in devils lake. Brett is the man. He will help you every step of the way and then some. He sets up your trust and does your fingerprints and pictures in house and submits all the paperwork and is very very reasonable. Hes a active and career military man so his knowledge and expertise and willinginess to dumb it down for an average joe like me is top notch.
what brand does he sell? nevermind- figured out with a quick google search. lol

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
those of you that did silencer central out of souix falls, did u have to personally go there to do all the paper work and fingerprinting stuff? im going to compare the two suppressors- i want light weight and not extremely long which is why i was thinking the 7" thunderbeast

as far as the trust goes, should i just go and do a trust online like this before hand? or is there some place/ something better?

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/
I did everything at the minot ag show when I bought mine. It took maybe 20 minutes for finger print passport pic and a little paperwork. Them about a month later I had to do an online submission with one of their customer support people. Everything was submitted on March 18th and I got the email that my tax stamp was approved a week and a half ago. Hoping to have can in hand by end of next week

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
My next can it probably going to be the 5 inch thunderbeast just for the size and weight savings. I'll probably go through Spartan Firearms in minot for that one since they seem to stock alot of thunderbeast cans

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10