Pittbull breed, what do you think?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pitts play is often tearing someones face off... Watch a few dog attack videos, pretty common for them to be wagging their tails while attacking another animal or person. My dog was attacked by a pitt a decade or so ago and the damn thing was wagging its tail the whole time...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pitts play is often tearing someones face off... Watch a few dog attack videos, pretty common for them to be wagging their tails while attacking another animal or person. My dog was attacked by a pitt a decade or so ago and the damn thing was wagging its tail the whole time...
There is more to it. Being able to read the dog and how to properly react will determine how a lot of situations will play out. There is a reason that pits are not used much in the protection game. With body language alone most will choose flight over fight. Go stand up to a dutchie or a mall and you will be in a world of hurt. What were the circumstances around your dog being attacked?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is more to it. Being able to read the dog and how to properly react will determine how a lot of situations will play out. There is a reason that pits are not used much in the protection game. With body language alone most will choose flight over fight. Go stand up to a dutchie or a mall and you will be in a world of hurt. What were the circumstances around your dog being attacked?
At the desert boat ramp, I was putting my boat in and my dog, a male mixed breed mostly lab ran over to a post to 'mark' it and the pitt came running from campers just south of the ramp and I saw it coming, it made a beeline for my dog so I was heading that way, anticipating trouble. It ran up behind my lab while he had his leg up peeing and it nipped the back of the leg he was standing on. My dog spun around and confronted the pitt and the pitt went berzerk, by the time i got there the pitt had my dogs neck in its mouth and I couldnt get it to let go. I had its collar and was trying to twist/choke it and i was also punching it in the face. Bloodied my knuckles hitting that stupid dog in the face. Its owner, a woman with her kids came running over and she couldnt get the dog to let go either. At this point it had been going on for a minute or two and someone that was pulling a boat out of the ramp came over and brought a wooden oar and started hitting the pitt on the head with this 'club', and they actually broke the oar before the pitt finally let go of my dogs neck, its face was bloody and it had a good 1 inch or so gash above its eye that was bleeding pretty good, blood running down its face and dripping on the ground. and the whole time and even after it was still wagging its tail like it was having a good old time. after that I took my dog and put him back in my truck and went over to talk to the woman there and she was crying and shaking and going on about how she doesnt know what to do, cuz shes scared of her dog now and she doesnt want to have it around her kids and how shes had it since it was a puppy and she couldnt understand why it would be so aggressive, etc. I dont know what happened after that cuz I left but since then Im not a huge fan of the breed...

Bobkat

Established Member
Yep, Lycan! It seems every day there are pit attacks on kids, other dogs, and a lot of adult. I won’t repeat what went thru my mind when my dog and I were attacked by two leashed pits bulls powerful enough to rip the leads from their owner. Suffice it to say I actually thought for a few minutes that I and my dog would be front page victims on the National news like so many others.
I will NOT take my dog for a walk unless Ihave my switchblade, stun gun, and often a screwdriver and pepper spray with me. Each time I see one of those huge jacked pit bulls waddling around my blood runs. Old and I sometimes wonder that at my age, pushing 80, how I. Hell did I ever get the strength to fight off TWO of those brutes at once? Saw a guy pull a 380 on one that was trying to tear the throat off a lab. I was wishing he’d shot!!!
My pet peeve is with the humaniac organizations, most well intentioned maybe, continually publish what loveing friendly “adorable” dogs these are, instead of discouraging breeding and ownership. Nope, I order to run “no kill” adoption places with good intentions, they advertise these things and “pass the trash” to another owner, who ultimately often turns them back! Hell, euthanize any pit bull that. Is otherwise given up for adoption. That’s my attitude!,

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
At the desert boat ramp, I was putting my boat in and my dog, a male mixed breed mostly lab ran over to a post to 'mark' it and the pitt came running from campers just south of the ramp and I saw it coming, it made a beeline for my dog so I was heading that way, anticipating trouble. It ran up behind my lab while he had his leg up peeing and it nipped the back of the leg he was standing on. My dog spun around and confronted the pitt and the pitt went berzerk, by the time i got there the pitt had my dogs neck in its mouth and I couldnt get it to let go. I had its collar and was trying to twist/choke it and i was also punching it in the face. Bloodied my knuckles hitting that stupid dog in the face. Its owner, a woman with her kids came running over and she couldnt get the dog to let go either. At this point it had been going on for a minute or two and someone that was pulling a boat out of the ramp came over and brought a wooden oar and started hitting the pitt on the head with this 'club', and they actually broke the oar before the pitt finally let go of my dogs neck, its face was bloody and it had a good 1 inch or so gash above its eye that was bleeding pretty good, blood running down its face and dripping on the ground. and the whole time and even after it was still wagging its tail like it was having a good old time. after that I took my dog and put him back in my truck and went over to talk to the woman there and she was crying and shaking and going on about how she doesnt know what to do, cuz shes scared of her dog now and she doesnt want to have it around her kids and how shes had it since it was a puppy and she couldnt understand why it would be so aggressive, etc. I dont know what happened after that cuz I left but since then Im not a huge fan of the breed...
So you had your dog just our running around. Why when you seen another strange dog coming did you not recall your dog? If you look at most of these cases its not just the one dog owner who is in fact at fault. I would lay the blame at both of your feet for both of you have dogs that were loose and should not have been.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, Lycan! It seems every day there are pit attacks on kids, other dogs, and a lot of adult. I won’t repeat what went thru my mind when my dog and I were attacked by two leashed pits bulls powerful enough to rip the leads from their owner. Suffice it to say I actually thought for a few minutes that I and my dog would be front page victims on the National news like so many others.
I will NOT take my dog for a walk unless Ihave my switchblade, stun gun, and often a screwdriver and pepper spray with me. Each time I see one of those huge jacked pit bulls waddling around my blood runs. Old and I sometimes wonder that at my age, pushing 80, how I. Hell did I ever get the strength to fight off TWO of those brutes at once? Saw a guy pull a 380 on one that was trying to tear the throat off a lab. I was wishing he’d shot!!!
My pet peeve is with the humaniac organizations, most well intentioned maybe, continually publish what loveing friendly “adorable” dogs these are, instead of discouraging breeding and ownership. Nope, I order to run “no kill” adoption places with good intentions, they advertise these things and “pass the trash” to another owner, who ultimately often turns them back! Hell, euthanize any pit bull that. Is otherwise given up for adoption. That’s my attitude!,
Is that a dog or an owner problem? most people dont properly make their dogs walk on lead you even see idiots with harness because their dogs pull which that just encourages it. Put a pinch collar on most of these dogs and a week with some one that has any knowledge and you fix alot of these problems. Its like people thinking dogs are born gun shy there not owners make them. If people were honest and breed responsibly dogs who were genetically inclined to be aggressive they would not be breed. I know there are labs both males and females who were very good field trail dogs that got their career cut short and never bred because they showed those traits. Its a human problem alot of the people who own the big powerful dogs have no business owning them. People have such low standards that they get their dogs in trouble by not holding them accountable.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you had your dog just our running around. Why when you seen another strange dog coming did you not recall your dog? If you look at most of these cases its not just the one dog owner who is in fact at fault. I would lay the blame at both of your feet for both of you have dogs that were loose and should not have been.
This occurred in the country, no leashes required. You are suggesting that I always have my dog, who is not aggressive or dangerous leashed at all times, forever, just in case theres a dangerous dog that might happen to show up? Even if I had my dog on a leash, that might not have prevented the unleashed pitt from attacking him... If you notice, Im not blaming the owner of the dog that attacked my dog, Im blaming the dog. Should owners be held responsible for damage caused by their dogs, of course. But the problem with dog attacks is they arent always preventable, dogs act of their own volition. Very often pitts attack and kill their owners or close family members. You cant have a dog restrained 100% of the time for its whole life, thats not humane or possible IMO.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a similar experience to the one Lycanthrope had about 10 years ago. I was out grilling in my front yard and playing fetch with my puppy who was about 9 months at the time. I had invisible fence at the time so he was constrained to the grass. I lived on a private Dr. at the time and was the 4th house in from the main road that went by. I was at the grill and all of the sudden I hear some kid's yelling and hollering. I walk around my truck and see a pitbull running down the road towards my dog. I call him over and right before he gets to me the pitbull just drills him and they both go rolling. My puppy gets up and runs under my pickup in the driveway. I had a Nissan Frontier at the time and it had running boards on it that the pitbull couldn't get under thankfully. I run around to the other side of the truck and pull the puppy out and throw him in the bed of the truck. At this time the pitbull jumps on me trying to grab the puppy. My neighbor in the mean time comes running over and we basically body slam the pitbull in the driveway. He gets up unphased as I jump in my truck to pull it in the garage. He's now trying to get over the tailgate as the kids come running up crying and yelling. The 2 of us again grab the dog and slam it down on its back in the driveway. This time it was stunned and I was able to close the overhead door. The dog had pulled it's way out of it's collar and the kids got it back on and started walking down the street. One of them must have called the mom and she pulled up and threw the dog and kids in and drove away. She never said a word. It was a crazy ass deal to say the least. I called the police and they knew of the dog and I never saw it again and never found out what happened. That dog was on a war path and only wanted one thing and it wasn't to play. I didn't trust them before that and that pretty much affirmed my thoughts on them.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Kurtr,

Sorry man, but that's a horseshit position. One dog minding its own business gets attacked and you put part of the blame on that dog and its owner? That's like the rules in Japan where if you are sitting at a stoplight and get hit from behind by another vehicle, you are at a minimum around 5% at fault for the accident simply by your presence.

I have been around a number of very well trained dogs over the years and don't know of a single one who would likely have been called to safety (as in get in the truck safe) in the time it would take for an ill-intentioned dog to cover the distance Lycan is likely talking about. A dog can cover a hell of a lot of ground in 10 seconds, and I don't know of any dog (or human) that can shut down a good piss fast enough to have remained safe under Lycan's scenario.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This occurred in the country, no leashes required. You are suggesting that I always have my dog, who is not aggressive or dangerous leashed at all times, forever, just in case theres a dangerous dog that might happen to show up? Even if I had my dog on a leash, that might not have prevented the unleashed pitt from attacking him... If you notice, Im not blaming the owner of the dog that attacked my dog, Im blaming the dog. Should owners be held responsible for damage caused by their dogs, of course. But the problem with dog attacks is they arent always preventable, dogs act of their own volition. Very often pitts attack and kill their owners or close family members. You cant have a dog restrained 100% of the time for its whole life, thats not humane or possible IMO.
Why would you not blame the owner why did she have a dog that was not under control and that just ran away. If at the least why not have an ecollar on the dog but then again most dont even know how to condition a dog to understand the collar other than using it like an asshole and just shocking the dog. You saw the dog you could have called your dog back. No one else knows that your dog is not aggressive so why when at a public boat dock should it be running around? Thats not safe for the dog or for other people that do not know the dog. You have not stated a time where one of these attacks were not preventable every time it comes back to people not having their dog under control. Till people start holding owners responsible and make it cost alot of money the problem is not going to fix it self. Its akin to blaming guns for mass shootings.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr,

Sorry man, but that's a horseshit position. One dog minding its own business gets attacked and you put part of the blame on that dog and its owner? That's like the rules in Japan where if you are sitting at a stoplight and get hit from behind by another vehicle, you are at a minimum around 5% at fault for the accident simply by your presence.

I have been around a number of very well trained dogs over the years and don't know of a single one who would likely have been called to safety (as in get in the truck safe) in the time it would take for an ill-intentioned dog to cover the distance Lycan is likely talking about. A dog can cover a hell of a lot of ground in 10 seconds, and I don't know of any dog (or human) that can shut down a good piss fast enough to have remained safe under Lycan's scenario.
So your fine with people just letting there dogs run around public places? Boat docks are not a place a dog should be running around loose if other people are present. Do you blame guns for killing people or is the person in control of the gun

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that a dog or an owner problem? most people dont properly make their dogs walk on lead you even see idiots with harness because their dogs pull which that just encourages it. Put a pinch collar on most of these dogs and a week with some one that has any knowledge and you fix alot of these problems. Its like people thinking dogs are born gun shy there not owners make them. If people were honest and breed responsibly dogs who were genetically inclined to be aggressive they would not be breed. I know there are labs both males and females who were very good field trail dogs that got their career cut short and never bred because they showed those traits. Its a human problem alot of the people who own the big powerful dogs have no business owning them. People have such low standards that they get their dogs in trouble by not holding them accountable.
That's like blaming a parent whose kid is out after dark riding their bike and gets hit by a drunk driver.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's like blaming a parent whose kid is out after dark riding their bike and gets hit by a drunk driver.
How about being accountable for your dog that would be a good start. Letting dogs run around loose in a public setting is looking for trouble. Its like taking your kid to the bar and being pissed people are swearing around them. No one can ever point out an incident where the owner is not the cause

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not in a million years, would I have a dog around like that. Not a chance.
Id bet not the first time it happened either, considering their reaction to it and the fact someone was able to get it on camera, If my dog even growls at me, it gets some swift and decisive punishment...

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about being accountable for your dog that would be a good start. Letting dogs run around loose in a public setting is looking for trouble. Its like taking your kid to the bar and being pissed people are swearing around them. No one can ever point out an incident where the owner is not the cause
So if I take my dog to the dog park to play fetch in the winter and he gets attacked by another dog it's my fault?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 178
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 128
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84