commission to supervise the NDGF

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at MN and not knowing exactly how it works over there, it appears that the DNR has a ridiculous amount of power. Since ND can’t help themselves but to follow what MN has done years down the road, I’m concerned that our game and fish might become to powerful in years to come. They need to get used to answering to “Someone”. Who that is needs to be carefully planned out. That’s how I feel about this.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
PIG:

I am not sure of a commission being form.
But your assessment on here of G&F is spot on in my life. I have written letters and calls about the same concerns and no way will they listen. In fact, they go beyond that to ridicule one. (See letter i wrote to G&F i posted on here).
I just do not understand why they act the way they do but i have little desire to support them unless they change the way they meet the public. db

No, i do not trust G&F due to the way they act and close there ears and then someone things only landowners have the answers.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The commission needs to be landowners only. They are the ones taking care of the wildlife. No city slickers allowed.

The game and fish of North Dakota belong to the public, that includes people who don't own land in ND. It would be a terrible disservice to have any proposed commission run by a select group of people whose interests may not represent the entirety of the state's population.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When i have served on whatever or even in life i bring with me certain beliefs and personal agendas. Those thoughts were developed over time and influence by what has touch my life.

What is important to me is to remember every day something can touch me to influence my thoughts and not to shut that out. To keep my mind open and be willing to listen. Thoughts can and do change when all is presented.

So as Allen said, to have one group with their agenda serve it would be a disservice to us, to them and to all.

This is well documented when one makes a statement only certain people can serve for a certain reason. Mind is already closed to serve only their agenda and not consider the good of all. Youth. db

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a terrible fuckin idea. Does anybody pay attention to the BS that goes on in WY and MT with game commissions?
And to the GNF: Gall damnit we TOLD YOU to back to the F up on this baiting bullshit cause it would have greater consequences, but you didnt listen. Now look what you brought upon yourselves. For every action there is an equal and opposite (sometimes greater) reaction.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a terrible fuckin idea. Does anybody pay attention to the BS that goes on in WY and MT with game commissions?
And to the GNF: Gall damnit we TOLD YOU to back to the F up on this baiting bullshit cause it would have greater consequences, but you didnt listen. Now look what you brought upon yourselves. For every action there is an equal and opposite (sometimes greater) reaction.
Amen to that sista!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
ndlongshot, you are correct.

The NDGF is taking its marching orders from a federal backed document called Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies or AFWA Technical Report on Best Management Practices.

https://wildlife.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Conservation-AFWA-CWD-BMPs.pdf

It says no feeding. Michigan already adopted the feeding ban. People with back yard bird feeders were getting ticketed. Ted Nugent got involved and a Bill was written to solve that problem. And then Governor Gretchen Whitmer vetoed it.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2021/10/whitmer-vetoes-bill-allowing-wildlife-feeding-citing-possible-disease-spread.html

Where in the hell is all this "don't feed the animals mantra" coming from?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is a bill to initiate a study to identify any benefits and/or drawbacks that a commission might serve for the state of North Dakota, and to iron out details of how it would work with our current laws and century code.
This is nothing more than a bill to "initiate a study"...let's not overthink it.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I've seen this before. Thats exactly what they said about the electronic posting bill last session and come hell or highwater they rammed that damn thing down everyones throat the last week of session....real Pelosi-ish style. Lets put it in IT funding package, no one will notice! They are sneaky as hell. If they want something done, they will get it done regardless the push back. Dark back rooms and all.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I've seen this before. Thats exactly what they said about the electronic posting bill last session and come hell or highwater they rammed that damn thing down everyones throat the last week of session....real Pelosi-ish style. Lets put it in IT funding package, no one will notice! They are sneaky as hell. If they want something done, they will get it done regardless the push back. Dark back rooms and all.
Cherry pick the results and “prove” the committee is needed.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Realized the mlive article posted above doesn't open. So I tried this one:

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2019/12/gov-whitmer-vetoes-deer-baiting-bill.html

Environmental groups praised Whitmer’s decision shortly after the announcement.

“This veto preserves Michigan’s rich hunting heritage by ensuring that the wildlife resources which support it are conserved for future generations through science-based decision-making, and not politics as usual," said Mike Shriberg, Great Lakes regional executive director for the National Wildlife Federation.

The effort to remove bans on baiting and feeding has a high-profile supporter in musician Ted Nugent, who came to the Capitol in September to testify about the bill.

So....the people of Michigan went to the legislature and passed a Bill to allow feeding of wildlife. Governor Gretchan Wilson vetoed it. She got her counsel from the DNR department of natural resources and enviro orgs.

Enough said.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as the Utah thing, life isn't so black and white, there's some gray area. You can weigh the options of letting up to a certain percentage of the herd starve to death, or try to save what you can and deal with the disease consequences. Also, this is classic deflection to get the public emotionally invested. Completely unrelated to this bill.

This is a knee-jerk reaction to the bait ban fiasco. They smelled blood in the water with the amount of support that bill saw. The study will be self-imposed and not transparent, and of course will find that they need to oversee the G&F. The committee will be made up of farm bureau affiliated politicians who will favor their own interests over your average outdoorsman's. "Lets not over think it", right, just allow it to happen and everything will be fine. We have more and better fishing than ever, our bird and big game hunting is pretty stellar, but this magic committee can do better?

Waste of time, waste of taxpayer money.
There is zero science that says winter feeding wildlife is any less of a spreader of CWD than the deer hunter putting out a bait pile or two. If you are ok with one you should be ok with both until it is proven scientifically. They can bait in WI and they have CWD there

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is zero science that says winter feeding wildlife is any less of a spreader of CWD than the deer hunter putting out a bait pile or two. If you are ok with one you should be ok with both until it is proven scientifically. They can bait in WI and they have CWD there
I’m not against feeding or baiting. I’m against greasy politicians trying to take over game management from the G&F because it’s a slippery slope.

Also, they can bait in only 12 of 72 counties in Wisconsin, kind of like here.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not against feeding or baiting. I’m against greasy politicians trying to take over game management from the G&F because it’s a slippery slope.

Also, they can bait in only 12 of 72 counties in Wisconsin, kind of like here.
Lots of grease on both sides! I don’t think the baiting ban was a good decision because we haven’t been able to trust the experts to manage our deer herd before. The legislature is here to overrule the bureaucracy when it gets out of control. We don’t need politicians involved in every GnF decision but they should be fixing the wrongs. I also don’t want game commissioners because we know who runs the show in the states that have them…… not the sportsmen.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 157
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55