Bismarck Event center

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think the liquor deal has been moritz’s for quite awhile. The boat purchase was fairly recent but I don’t know that for sure
So why would it matter if they already had the liquor deal and was let's say given a great deal on a boat? Seems to me that would be pointless investigating?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So why would it matter if they already had the liquor deal and was let's say given a great deal on a boat? Seems to me that would be pointless investigating?
That’s exactly what I’m saying. The article was piss poorly written. Doesn’t say one way or the other.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

In general there are rules about what public employees can accept as gifts, even if every similar public employee is getting the exact same thing. In this example though, a really great deal on a boat that is not available to others is generally considered a gift equal to the difference between what you and I would have to pay for it and what Jeske paid for it. Since Moritz has the exclusive right to sell booze at the venue Jeske oversaw, I don't think it would take a very gifted lawyer to dream up charges related to bribery or something of an illegal kickback. If the City or State's Attorney team who reviews this cannot draw that link under the Century Code, we should probably review and modify that section of the Century Code covering gifts to public employees.

There are lots of questions that need to be answered, such as: When is the booze deal up for renewal/re-bidding? Did Jeske indeed get preferential pricing as the article tends to lead the reader to believe?

At the bare minimum, Jeske is guilty as hell of creating a look of impropriety. Public employees are generally given strong guidance to avoid this at all costs.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In general there are rules about what public employees can accept as gifts, even if every similar public employee is getting the exact same thing. In this example though, a really great deal on a boat that is not available to others is generally considered a gift equal to the difference between what you and I would have to pay for it and what Jeske paid for it. Since Moritz has the exclusive right to sell booze at the venue Jeske oversaw, I don't think it would take a very gifted lawyer to dream up charges related to bribery or something of an illegal kickback. If the City or State's Attorney team who reviews this cannot draw that link under the Century Code, we should probably review and modify that section of the Century Code covering gifts to public employees.

There are lots of questions that need to be answered, such as: When is the booze deal up for renewal/re-bidding? Did Jeske indeed get preferential pricing as the article tends to lead the reader to believe?

At the bare minimum, Jeske is guilty as hell of creating a look of impropriety. Public employees are generally given strong guidance to avoid this at all costs.
Makes sense..could Moritz or any other business be in trouble in any form related to this or this all falls back on Jeske?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
chapter 12.1-12 of the NDCC contains the most likely applicable laws to this kind of situation and... yes. the laws are written in a way as to apply to both parties.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wasn't a whole lot of info in the article...Definitely very vague. I am guessing they don't want much in the public why it's being investigated.
I would guess you could have a scene similar to the wolf of wall street paper shredding if people new lol

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is this even a topic of discussion? what does any of this have to do with our everyday life in the outdoors? who gives a shit!!!! Some of you need to get away from the damn computer and get outside and let this stupid shit go!!! My god!!!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is this even a topic of discussion? what does any of this have to do with our everyday life in the outdoors? who gives a shit!!!! Some of you need to get away from the damn computer and get outside and let this stupid shit go!!! My god!!!
Nodak Angler/ Facebook. Is there really any difference?

Johnny Five

Regardless the price of the boat (which we all gather he probably got a great deal), the booze license should’ve been put up for bid every 1-2 years, which it appears it wasn’t.

Add in a paid vacation from Etix…

the guy probably meant no harm, but not a great look.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yet you read and responded to the post.....to answer your question yes it does have to do with some peoples everyday life in the outdoors..as an example.. were we paying to much for beer because it didn't go out to bid like it was suppose to? That may have been one more bait I could have purchased....🤣
This could also be affecting tax payor money another way it affects everyday life in the outdoors...anyways read away and add to this post. 👍

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yet you read and responded to the post.....to answer your question yes it does have to do with some peoples everyday life in the outdoors..as an example.. were we paying to much for beer because it didn't go out to bid like it was suppose to? That may have been one more bait I could have purchased....🤣
This could also be affecting tax payor money another way it affects everyday life in the outdoors...anyways read away and add to this post. 👍
You missed where another member screamed this post in the grand forks gunman thread. He just pirated it and put it here tongue in cheek

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regardless the price of the boat (which we all gather he probably got a great deal), the booze license should’ve been put up for bid every 1-2 years, which it appears it wasn’t.

Add in a paid vacation from Etix…

the guy probably meant no harm, but not a great look.
I didn’t read anything in the article that said anything about the booz license not going out for bid every couple years

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
This article has a little more detail.
https://www.kxnet.com/news/local-news/bismarck-event-center-director-charlie-jeske-is-fired/

"Another company, T2 Promotions, provided alcohol at both Beerfest and Whiskey and Wine Fest. T2 was owned by David Moritz, who passed away last year. A city of Bismarck spokesperson says a further look at the numbers says that the Rec and Leisure Show was charged half the rent price last year compared to competing vendors. A Moritz family spokesperson says the boat dealership pays rent to a separate company, but not to the Event Center. The city forwarded their findings from Jeske to a special agent with the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigations for possible felony charges. A BCI spokesperson tells KX news that right now, the investigation is still open, and the city has not started the search to hire a new director at the Event Center."

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This article has a little more detail.
https://www.kxnet.com/news/local-news/bismarck-event-center-director-charlie-jeske-is-fired/

"Another company, T2 Promotions, provided alcohol at both Beerfest and Whiskey and Wine Fest. T2 was owned by David Moritz, who passed away last year. A city of Bismarck spokesperson says a further look at the numbers says that the Rec and Leisure Show was charged half the rent price last year compared to competing vendors. A Moritz family spokesperson says the boat dealership pays rent to a separate company, but not to the Event Center. The city forwarded their findings from Jeske to a special agent with the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigations for possible felony charges. A BCI spokesperson tells KX news that right now, the investigation is still open, and the city has not started the search to hire a new director at the Event Center."
Identity of the separate company seems like an odd detail for a reporter to fail to address. Why did the competing vendors not pay this other company half? A reasonable answer might exist - but leaving that answer out is curious.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without knowing the make/model/year of the boat, the amount paid and that received on his trade-in are a moot point.

And who exactly is Moritz paying to rent the BEC, if not BEC? What's the deal with that?

All that being said, I don't think the city of Bismarck would forward stuff to BCI if they didn't honestly believe there were some shenanigans taking place.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Issues like this come out drip, drip, drip because everyone is worried about their own grift/leverage. Including the media companies - who don’t want to muddy their often cozy relationship with government.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 198
  • This month: 168
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57