Winter Vacations

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heading to Cancun next saturday the 5th for a week for my first time in Mexico. Hoping to squeeze in one day fishing on a charter. Overall cost was right around that 3200 mark i believe.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys for the ideas!! Wife checked on 3 places last week down by Cancun and Playa Del Carman thru a travel agency, and the prices were 2900 to 3800 for 5 - 7 days. When we were there (she tells me :( 9 years ago) we stayed at Barceló Maya, place was so clean you could eat off the floor it you wanted to. Lots of things to do, and a very nice place back then. Even a French gal that was very proud of her rock hard boobs, as she was always running around topless!! :cool: :;:thumbsupJust undecided if I want to go back to Mexico or not.

Nothing like playa for some euros ;:;boozer sometimes a guy just has to kick back from work and any other sport and just drink and relax. one always find some friends who like to do the same when south of the border. Look at cozumel --- the last time we went down we stayed on the island and it was awesome. No wind on the west side - flat calm clear water to snorkel or enjoy.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I look at vacation as vacation; I don’t want to have to do anything. If I go somewhere I want it to be the exact opposite of here…so I want a white sand beach, and the ocean. I don’t know what it is about the ocean but it’s just frick’in cool…I barely spend any time in the pool or the swim up bar, it’s all on the beach or in the water. I try and find resorts with decent reefs off the swimming area to snorkel around. This is why I prefer the Caribbean side of Mexico or one of the Caribbean islands, I want I nice calm warm ocean to float around in

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I look at vacation as vacation; I don’t want to have to do anything. If I go somewhere I want it to be the exact opposite of here…so I want a white sand beach, and the ocean. I don’t know what it is about the ocean but it’s just frick’in cool…I barely spend any time in the pool or the swim up bar, it’s all on the beach or in the water. I try and find resorts with decent reefs off the swimming area to snorkel around. This is why I prefer the Caribbean side of Mexico or one of the Caribbean islands, I want I nice calm warm ocean to float around in

Totally agree, when I am on vacation, I am not wanting to make beds and cook my own meals. When we head to Winnipeg we rent a house (8 of us) and do all the cooking, clean the place up etc. Its a great trip, lots of fun, but far from a vacation.

I also want mrs johnr to not have to do a single thing, she needs to be waited on, and pampered so when its all over with she can get back to work taking care of me...hahaha

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking and looking, too.... Read articles that rate beaches and destinations. This past weekend I read that Bonaire was a top-5 destination for quiet and beach time. I didn't even know where the hell Bonaire even is; had to look on Google Earth! It's just further south of the Caribbean islands and just off the South American coastline. I suppose it would cost more to fly there because of the miles traveled.

I cannot make up my mind on this one...... Dominican Republic? Antigua? Jamaica? Bonaire?

Uggh! ;:;banghead

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking and looking, too.... Read articles that rate beaches and destinations. This past weekend I read that Bonaire was a top-5 destination for quiet and beach time. I didn't even know where the hell Bonaire even is; had to look on Google Earth! It's just further south of the Caribbean islands and just off the South American coastline. I suppose it would cost more to fly there because of the miles traveled.

I cannot make up my mind on this one...... Dominican Republic? Antigua? Jamaica? Bonaire?

Uggh! ;:;banghead

We haven’t been to the Dominican but several of our friends have and had no complaints….Dominican will probably be your cheapest destination out of those choices, but if it were me I would go to Jamaica stay on the Negril side, or Sandals (whitehouse) and be done with it the sunsets off the cliffs at Ricks Café are some of the best in the world. Both Antigua and Bonaire are great but airfare is substantially more, and if I was going further south I would go to USVI, St. Johns…

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, here is the place we picked to go, Marival Resort & Suites Nuevo Vallarta. Anyone been to this place, and you if have, did you, or didn't you like it? Any suggestions on what to do, and see. Thanks!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We stayed at the jalisco (sp) which is just down the beach from there. In the top 3 vacations we have ever taken.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_7134.jpeg

IMG_7132.png

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to Cozumel last year over carnival. THe resort food was average at best but off the resort in town it was amazing. The carnival parade/party was great. We rented jeeps drove the island one day and hit all the bars and food places. When i go some where i want great fresh local food.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to Cozumel last year over carnival. THe resort food was average at best but off the resort in town it was amazing. The carnival parade/party was great. We rented jeeps drove the island one day and hit all the bars and food places. When i go some where i want great fresh local food.
Same. If you ever run across this you have to try it.

Ceviche Con Recado Negro

I ran into it in Cozumel (where my daughter manages a dive company).

It's one of the most unique and wonderful tasting dishes I've ever had. And I've had a lot of them (Asia/Europe)... the uniquer the better for me.

I don't recommend stinky tofu - a supposed delicacy I tried.. once. 🤮

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same. If you ever run across this you have to try it.

Ceviche Con Recado Negro

I ran into it in Cozumel (where my daughter manages a dive company).

It's one of the most unique and wonderful tasting dishes I've ever had. And I've had a lot of them (Asia/Europe)... the uniquer the better for me.

I don't recommend stinky tofu - a supposed delicacy I tried.. once. 🤮

That looks amazing I tried to eat a different kind of ceviche every day. We went on a snorkeling trip and Im not much for ocean swimming so i sat on the boat ate fresh made food and drank it was a great time. We are planning a trip in for next year. Talked about Costa Rica but I heard alot of the food is bland and boring there. Have you ever been?

Walleye Slayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A little late to the party, but our go-to vacation is the all-inclusive Adults-only Barcelo Grand Papagayo in Costa Rica. Very reasonable price. Fishing is fairly cheap. Depends on the time of year on what fish are available to go after. We've seen all kinds of Ocean life including Humpback whales. The local town Coco Beach is a short ride away. some pretty cool excursions from the resort and also reasonably priced. Very laid back. I do not feel unsafe anywhere when we are there. We have stayed in the basic rooms to the penthouse rooms. The top rooms come with a golf cart to get around the resort as it is built on a pretty big sidehill. They also have community carts you can call to get a ride. We've been there four times.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trying Cancun this year for the boys senior trip, last kid in our nest, and last trip where we take the kids on our dime.
Never been in this part of Mexico, but looking forward to it, mid March if any of you have recommendations on possible fishing in that area, thanks.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The wife and I normally go to Vegas for a week. This year we are going to take the kids for the first time and go to Arizona. If I can help it I'm going to try and stay out of Mexico.
If your going to Arizona your in Mexico with all the illegals running around. LB

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Going on vacation right in good old North Dakota, no need to go and try to get killed in a lot of them places

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trying Cancun this year for the boys senior trip, last kid in our nest, and last trip where we take the kids on our dime.
Never been in this part of Mexico, but looking forward to it, mid March if any of you have recommendations on possible fishing in that area, thanks.
I was there in feb just across the straight and all the people i asked about fishing told me they would be stealing if we went out. I dont know if its better by then i was surprised how honest the captains were

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
go skiing for a few weeks every winter, the weather is usually 30 to 40 degrees warmer than home.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
All great places above the best is Saint Lucia all- inclusive Haven just wow. Also, west side of Mexico Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. Dominican Republic is hot no drug lord pull shit. Chile and Argentina nice county. Couple nude beach's here and there put that was 35 years ago. Dad took me on Africain safari too in middle of winter for hunters. Whole bunch of cousins and relatives went to Europe and did a lot of site seeing and drinking 10 years ago. Stayed in peoples homes, traveled by bus, road in carts, low life setup but was really fun they can drink thou. Really nice people.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 149
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51