How thick do you like the ice to be before you start walking out and fishing?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have the ice fishing sickness like some folks, so I tend to wait until there's 8 inches or more. Just a mental thing. I always hear horror stories about freak thin ice, so the way I figure it, the more ice in general, the last chance of hitting those off-chance thin areas.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0711.jpg
I had a friend send me this last year. Laughed pretty hard.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a young lad and 10foot tall and bullet proof, I would tempt any so called thin ice since I was sure I could swim like an Olympic gold medal swimmer to shore if I fell in. Now that I am older and hopefully wiser, I make sure I am not the first one to try. Usually wait until I see other foot traffic or atv traffic. I usually have enough fish in the freezer so I do not need to tempt fate by being first to go out on suspect ice. Catch and release for bigger eyes aren't worth dropping my fat arse in the drink either.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sometimes wear one of those belts that self-inflates if it's real sketchy. And pegs around my neck of course.

I spud my way constantly - every step pretty much - then spud a large circle around the area I'm fishing. If it gets weak I work my way back where I came from. If it's all good you can then clearly see the "circle of trust" around your fishing area. DO NOT CROSS. :eek:

This gives one some comfort... but not great comfort. Great comfort is what gets a fella kilt. :D

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad's best friend and the guy I was named after went through on a snowmobile and died. I was taught and reminded religiously to be cautious and safe. I love me some ice fishing, but I do not push my luck. I am never one of the first to walk or drive on and I am never the last off. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad's best friend and the guy I was named after went through on a snowmobile and died. I was taught and reminded religiously to be cautious and safe. I love me some ice fishing, but I do not push my luck. I am never one of the first to walk or drive on and I am never the last off. Not worth the risk in my opinion

Thats terrible. I love ice fishing also and the older i get the less chances i will take.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
3"-4", if this good solid & clear ice, parking on the shoreline and only bringing a manual auger and minnow bucket/rod&reel. I'll drive on with 11"-12" of good solid ice, but I mainly stick to the established paths made before me.

Only once have I had a tire pop down, but it was late season and the day was 55-degrees. I was going 15mph so the vehicle's motion pulled up the front passenger tire enough to keep going. I hadn't shite my pants.... but there was definitely a higher pucker factor than most days!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just do the rock test by the boat ramp. I throw about 10 to 15 big rocks and if they stay on top it is time to go out:;:stirthepot;:;popcorn

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ba ha ha ha ha

- - - Updated - - -

and try scatter the rocks as far and as randomly as possible in order to assess ice conditions as expansively as possible

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I see ATV's out zooming around, it's thick enough for me to head out. NO FISH is worth me going in the drink!!!

Maybe a 3lb perch would be worth it if i survived.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in college a buddy and I ice fished Trenton lake right after freeze up. maybe 2 inches of ice. We kept the truck running on shore and each had a few changes of clothes with. I think we each fell threw at least 3 times that weekend. we where in about 3-4 feet of water. We would fall through, get out, go change and dry off in the truck and come back out. Fishing was insane. but looking back.... holy shit was that stupid.

now i like at least 6 to walk on. and i wont take my F150 out until i see the 3/4 ton and diesel 1 tons out there

Holy shit you were out of your minds! haha. I would be worried about burying my boots in that silthole of a pond.

Since I got married and had kids I am not nearly as brave and stupid as I once was. Years ago I hit the early ice on thanksgiving weekend, fishing west Sak sometimes means you need to walk 100 yards from shore to find 25 feet of water. I walked out with my auger in one hand pulling my sled in the other. I let go of my sled and walked a few more steps and set my auger down upright. I saw water come running towards my feet just from the point of the auger. I instantly fell on my back, looked at my sled and could tell I was lower than it. Crawled back to shore and took a break. Took me at least 20 min of staring at my stuff to get the balls to crawl back out there and get my stuff. Drove the 25 miles back to town giving myself the dumb son of a bitch talk the whole way.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy shit you were out of your minds! haha. I would be worried about burying my boots in that silthole of a pond.

Since I got married and had kids I am not nearly as brave and stupid as I once was. Years ago I hit the early ice on thanksgiving weekend, fishing west Sak sometimes means you need to walk 100 yards from shore to find 25 feet of water. I walked out with my auger in one hand pulling my sled in the other. I let go of my sled and walked a few more steps and set my auger down upright. I saw water come running towards my feet just from the point of the auger. I instantly fell on my back, looked at my sled and could tell I was lower than it. Crawled back to shore and took a break. Took me at least 20 min of staring at my stuff to get the balls to crawl back out there and get my stuff. Drove the 25 miles back to town giving myself the dumb son of a bitch talk the whole way.

Im not gonna argue. it was dumb. but in college, i was ten foot and bulletproof. Now married, 2 young kids. I sure wouldnt dream of pulling a stunt like that. None of it matters if I dont get home to my family.
Gone are the days of 20 foot extension ladder bridges to get onto the ice, Falling though the ice to chase slab crappie, being out in whitecaps in a 14 foot tiller.... Ive done some stupid shit to catch a damn fish

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not gonna argue. it was dumb. but in college, i was ten foot and bulletproof. Now married, 2 young kids. I sure wouldnt dream of pulling a stunt like that. None of it matters if I dont get home to my family.
Gone are the days of 20 foot extension ladder bridges to get onto the ice, Falling though the ice to chase slab crappie, being out in whitecaps in a 14 foot tiller.... Ive done some stupid shit to catch a damn fish

Sounds about like what i have done some times i am amazed at the dumb shit i did and made it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

My deal used to be lightning.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have to say that stump lake is one scary lake for consistent ice, could be a month after devils lake ice fisherman have been out on the lake. I wonder if it has to do with salt and depth of water. There are some places on stump that is a 1:1 drop off in elevation.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 255
  • This month: 216
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72