Fishing Kayak Input Requested

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you pee out of a kayak?
A couple options
image.jpg image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

But this would be cheating . Don't be a cheat !
image.jpg

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the suggestions Guys. This is what I'm looking at except without the go pro mounts.

Big Rig.jpg

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is pretty sweet. Beats the heck out of the kayak I flyfish for bass/pike out of. Two hours in mine and my back aches for days

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's one of the things I'm hoping to avoid by buying a kayak designed for fishing. I spend days and days muddin' on the Sheyenne and fishing with at back acke really turns the fun meter down. What kayak do you have fishsticks if I may ask??

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried fishing from a kayak a couple of times, but I can say I was definitely not set up for it. Fishing from the sit in kayak sucked. From what I have seen people doing here in MN, I would say you are on the right track KDM. That is a sweet rig. I am interested to hear how stable it is with the seat elevated like that.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished the ocean in a kayak. It was awkward affair. I got the hang of it enough to catch a few fish. It was then fun and games until had to pee. When I paddled back to shore, my stringer came untied from the yak and I went to grab it. A breaker then capsized me and I lost my spendy shades and saltwatered all my tackle and reel. A nice island fellow found my stringer of fish with his goggles and snorkel. We had them for lunch. That kayak looks a lot nicer than the one I fished out of, but I still am not a fan of those things.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, there are definite downsides to a kayak fishing, but I think with the right equipment, many of those issues can be solved. Fishing the rock and tree infested Sheyenne river, I've always thought about getting one that I can use to get to those rocks and bars nobody else can get to. The possibilities for adventure and discovery in my own backyard are staggering.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a sweet outfit KDM. Things will be awkward for sure at the beginning wind will make it worse but at the same time fishing out of a boat can be the same way. Only in a it takes a lot more to position than just a flick of a paddle. Even on the tough weather days the opportunity to paddle somewhere for access just to fish from shore or off a sandbar is more than worth it. Also when a pike turns you around it's pretty damn funny.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Z

Have you checked these out at all? Seems to be a lot of options and configurations. My cousin had one for a while and it was more stable than any kayak I have been in.

My computer is being dumb. What I was trying to post was the personal fishing pontoons. May be worth a look if you haven't already. I have no information on how they handle in current though...

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't see the pic huntinforfish for some reason.

BR, did you ever try to use an SOP (Stake out Pole) to keep your kayak in place?? How did it work? If an SOP works pretty good, I may not put a power pole on the back and opt for a trolling motor instead. I've been burning up the google network for the past few weeks and the options available for these rigs is mind boggling. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate real world experiences.

- - - Updated - - -

like you don't do enough damage from shore ;:;banghead

Remember that spot I took you and your boy to for walleyes?? That backwater area, just down from that spot and across the river is a PRIME example of what I would be taking the kayak to. I've never seen anyone fish that part of the river.....ever.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet a SOP would work great. Honestly as light as a kayak is in the water(seriously I can be in 4 inches of chocolate milk river water and not know it until a paddle digs in) I be a guy could use a telescoping pole like a golf ball retriever and if would stick you just fine. I've never thought of using one but I might try. For now I'm gunna stay away from any electricity on mine but I won't rule it out in the future. Also this is a fun gadget to drag along:
image.jpg

I also use a waterproof case with tip-up line and a swivel tied to a loop on my life jacket. Learned that lesson the hard way.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have fished both SOT style and sit in kayaks. It's just my own preference but I liked the SOT way better. Easier to cast from, land fish and I had more storage room. Plus I just liked being up higher vs down inside the sitin.i bought off brand ones for kids but that Striker unit Renville posted looked legit. I want one.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
A canoe would work too for all of your blue num num adventures...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A canoe would work too for all of your blue num num adventures...

It would indeed, however I am torn between spending the cash and getting most of what I want or spending less and settling for less. At this point I'm thinking back to my first boat and all the items that it didn't have that I have now because I didn't want to fork over the sheckles. With the amount of time I spend muddin' every year and the waterfowl opportunities I could get myself into in the fall, I am leaning toward NOT going cheap, but not being frivolous either and getting what I need to be safe and comfortable on the water.

Thanks BR for that little tip on tying yourself to the kayak. Would have had to learn that one the hard way I suspect. :;:thumbsup

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 198
  • This month: 168
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57