Tires

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have run Cooper's on my personal trucks for years I have never had a prob I even put them on my 79 blazer mud runner I go threw just as much as my buddy's with swampers he was so impressed he switched when his swampers went bad I think they handle great in the snow also I have never gotten stuck while ice fishing so I can't complain I've run allot of other tires on my work trucks and nothing has held up to Cooper's

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run Goodyear Duratracs on the duramax. Lovem. But im actually looking for a cheaper set for my trusty rusty 01 sierra 1500. I was intrigued by the 1st post about Treadwright. Actually even put a set in the "cart". But i just noticed post by Muzzytipped and think ill cancel that shit!

Toby

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, I would agree with the Falken Wildpeaks or the Goodyear Duratracs, have very very good luck with them out here on the farm, good in snow and dealing with lots of gravel driving. Run them on all 4 of my trucks. 2 with Falkens and 2 with Duratracs. Tried Bridgestone and they don't live the gravel, especially the Revos. Just my 2 cents.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
not a tire expert at all but is 10 ply more puncture resistant
Yes and they also have a deeper tread, but are also heavier which is what kills your gas mileage and they are a rougher ride. IMO 10 ply is overkill for most peoples needs with a 1/2 ton, but with most AT tires you only have a choice of P-4ply and LT E-10ply.

The LT tires also tend to be a different compound than the p-rated. That's why you see so many different reviews with tires is because to be honest most people have no idea what they have. I would assume your work truck Toyos are p-rated 4-ply which would explain your issues with them.

P or SL = 4ply
LT C = 6ply
LT D = 8ply
LT E = 10 Ply

Tires are fucking confusing.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes and they also have a deeper tread, but are also heavier which is what kills your gas mileage and they are a rougher ride. IMO 10 ply is overkill for most peoples needs with a 1/2 ton, but with most AT tires you only have a choice of P-4ply and LT E-10ply.

The LT tires also tend to be a different compound than the p-rated. That's why you see so many different reviews with tires is because to be honest most people have no idea what they have. I would assume your work truck Toyos are p-rated 4-ply which would explain your issues with them.

P or SL = 4ply
LT C = 6ply
LT D = 8ply
LT E = 10 Ply

Tires are fucking confusing.

i looked they are lt e rated i have a one ton long box gasser for my work pick up. I know my dura tracs on the yota are lt e rated also the lower gas mileage and rougher ride for the lower chance of a flat and more tread. I still get righ around 15 mpg so that isnt to bad

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol, I had to read the whole thread to see if I had weighed in. I am a Hankook ATM fan, over 10 sets. I always try to get 10 ply, but some sizes it is difficult, couldn't get them for 20" wheels. I just got a set for about 650, shipped from summit, they matched a competitor. It took a bit of "paperwork" but I am satisfied. Some tire shops bristle at bringing in tires, one told me I needed upper ball joints, lower ball joints, idler, and pitman replaced. I waited 6 months, as I could find no issues, and had them show me the issue before I scheduled the repair. Their best mechanic could find no issues.

I educated myself on the "10 ply" issue, apparently when tires were first produced like in 1910, the construction was plys of cotton. Thus 10 plys, modern tires don't actually have 10 plys, just 4 plys, but somehow put the designation of ply on their as the whole letter thing is suffering the same fate as the metric system.

My experience with Hankook ATM Dyna 10 ply are, getting louder around 30K, replace at 40K-45K if you are a worrier, have gotten 70K but I was pushing it so my new tires go on in October.

I don't have a bunch of experience with other tires, did some Toyos a few years ago and hated them, had Wranglers way back in the day and liked them, but snow was my primary opponent.

Curious if anyone runs the "balance beads" for balancing purposes, I do in my work vehicle so I can rotate on my own and not 3rd party expense. I think they work best on bigger tires. I am a big believer in rotating and shock replacement.

Jiggernaut

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've run nothing but Bridgestone Duelers on my 1500 Silverado and am pretty fond of them. Really good grip on the ice and low road noise. Just bought a new set of the Revo 3, which is supposed to be a 60,000 mi tire. I got more than that out of the last set

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
So tires for ½ ton … what are you using this truck for? In town? lots of highway? Off road? Mud? Ice fishing snow?
BFG A/T KO2’s - are legit … however if you are not going to be off road much there are a few cheaper options out there if mostly in town highway I would probably go with Cooper AT3 or good year Wrangler AT/S
More off raod, hunting snow ice fishing BFG A/T KO2 or Nankook ATMs

- - - Updated - - -

on a side note: tires for wife's mid sized SUV ? thinking of going with TOYO celsius? anyone else running them?

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put Toyo Celsius on the wifes GMC Acadia. Almost 2 years on them, and have been impressed.

I am currently trying Nokian Rotiiva Plus on my pickup. I went with the LT. Around 10,000 on them so far. Opinion is they have good snow/ice traction, throw lots of rocks on gravel, seem to be wearing good. Price was good, (275/70/18) paid around $800 out the door.

So tires for ½ ton … what are you using this truck for? In town? lots of highway? Off road? Mud? Ice fishing snow?
BFG A/T KO2’s - are legit … however if you are not going to be off road much there are a few cheaper options out there if mostly in town highway I would probably go with Cooper AT3 or good year Wrangler AT/S
More off raod, hunting snow ice fishing BFG A/T KO2 or Nankook ATMs

- - - Updated - - -

on a side note: tires for wife's mid sized SUV ? thinking of going with TOYO celsius? anyone else running them?

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ran Cooper AT3's for 49,000 miles bought a new set and only got 25,500 miles and are shot! Dealing with Cooper now on their bullshit warranty as I rotated more than they recommended. Put on Hankook Dynapro's 10 ply. Just went out west and they rode good on interstate but are much rougher riding than the Coopers. I'll take the rough ride and a quality tire over the crap I've dealt with the last 3 weeks with who I bought them from and with Cooper themselves.
On a side note...I did end up getting a little something from the salesman supplier but am no longer allowed to do business where I purchased both the Coopers and the Hankooks, going to make it hard since I work for the same co-op!!!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I am not a very sensitive to my surrounding as I doubt I can tell how a tire makes my vehicle ride vs. tires just removed or from memory. I do run less than what the sidewall says for air pressure. I think mine say 80 and i run 60. Curious what others are running.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have Hankook Dynapro's in 10 ply on my 3rd truck in a row. They have always treated me well and usually get a good 50,000 plus on them. The only knock I have is they are a little noisy going down the interstate

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I am not a very sensitive to my surrounding as I doubt I can tell how a tire makes my vehicle ride vs. tires just removed or from memory. I do run less than what the sidewall says for air pressure. I think mine say 80 and i run 60. Curious what others are running.

1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? The sticker on the door jamb of the drivers door will give you recommended tire pressure.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
wslayer... by chance do you have them with a bit extra air in them because you tow regularly? i ask because the one set of them i had that wore poorly were left over inflated. had a trailer full of wood squatting the hell out of my poor truck for a trip back from menards. filled em to like 60 or 70 psi. forgot to let the air out. 15k later they were shot.

Was running about 52# most all the time. Bumped up to 65 when pulled 5th wheel

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
B F Goodrich have been my go to. I also like black walls so I turn the lettering to the inside, cause fuck em

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just assumed all unloaded 1/2 ton trucks tires are rated for 40-45 psi. No?

P/4-ply rated top out @ 35#.

LT/C/6-ply rated top out @ 50#

LT/D/8-ply rated top out @ 65#

LT/E/10-ply rated top out @ 80#.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112