Frozen in Ice Castle ideas?

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Well that was as ingenious as hell. Looked like a beer can on the front seat of the car!

LT, I like your idea. I'd sure as hell give it a go.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
87530749_1778852065584326_9069823636013056000_n.jpg

might want to learn some "not to do" tricks from this guy...

Looks like an oilfield trick gone wrong. Had a 55 of polymer on a barrel stand about 40 below and 1/4 full and plugged hand had warmed it up but it was like a big glob so I filled the small bung with propane and stood back and lit it . it blew out the plug and then sucked the 55 in like someone had spent 8 hours with a chain an a boomer squeezing on it. It was one of those oilfield mysteries that nobody could figure out and nobody knew anything. haha

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
very few situations in life cannot be solved by the application of a judicious amount of high explosives.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
very few situations in life cannot be solved by the application of a judicious amount of high explosives.

just a thought - get some videos out on whatever social media outlets you can, and have an auction stating that the high bidder gets to shoot a round into this thing loaded with c4... gut it first, taking out all the salvageable parts, talk to g&f and work out a settlement on what it would cost, get a permit if necessary, and go live with the plan...

there are prolly some trust funders willing to pay big bucks to blow it up... hell, i'd prolly drive over just to watch...

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 2 cents worth.
Solid ice has incredible locking/ holding power. I don't think anything will unlock it short of melting/ concussion without damaging the structure.
Several ( sound good) theries but...:confused:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without seeing the situation and how bad it is it's pretty tough to imagine the situation but If it was me I would probably use temporary propane heaters inside and get it get it fishable and go fishing and get the furnace back in operation if possible and haul propane and leave heat on 24/7 monitor the situation. Push the snow away and use rigid sheet insulation around the outside perimeter and let mother nature undo what she did. If it stays cold you can leave it on the ice after the 15th as long as it's occupied. Find some retired guy that likes to fish and get it comfortable for him and let hif house watch till the time is right to hook up and drive away. I'd be leary of jacking it out if it's frozen in solid, Lots of things can go wrong .

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't worry bout march 15. If you are making active efforts the game and fish will give you a break.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't worry bout march 15. If you are making active efforts the game and fish will give you a break.

Yup, Communication is the key. Let them know what is going on and that you are on top of the situation before they have to question it and you will be just fine.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
the last couple comments are prob the best advice,(but i'm no expert) let mother nature do most the work for you, the damage is already done. on a 40 or so degree day after some high 20 and 30 dergree days maybe it'll crank up. The sun is gaining strength and will warm everything in and around the house and the frame .Many of us have driven across lakes with a few inches of water on it, id imagine that it wouldn't b froze in then. There's still time. But I can imagine the anxiety. Anyway we'd like to see pics.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a pretty good idea, Close it up and crank up the heat inside and out. Two days later its seating in a puddle of water.

are you remembering, and am I recalling correctly, that the ice on the outside of the house goes up ~1 foot? I assume that means it melted in / sunk so I don't think just warmth from a greenhouse or straight up sunshine is going to take care of it. But I have been wrong many times...

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mother nature is not going to free the house. The reason it froze in is the weight of the snow and the house pushing down on the ice. As it warms up the house is going to continue to sink. You need to get to work like I mentioned earlier. If you wait for mother nature you will be retrieving the house from the bottom of the lake.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple of these secured to the sides might be in order....
3454625.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

How about this. FF to 7.30 in to see real effect

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple of these secured to the sides might be in order....
3454625.jpg
I was sort of thinking a similar strategy. If all else fails get everything out of it then fill it with styrofoam sheets. Hope ice don't crush it. Retrieve with a boat when you can get to it. There will be water damage, but it should be to cold for any mold.

Last edited:

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Riggen&Jiggen is right. It is sunk down due to the weight of the house and the flood water that collected around it and eventually froze. I think if we let the sun thaw it out it's going down. Unless we fill it with foam like PG said! He had the ice inside pretty much melted yesterday and was pumping the water out of it. Didn't get the pumped water quite far enough away and it eventually started running back in faster than the pump could move it. Went out today and pushed snow back with the skid steer. Couldn't get real close to the house as it was slushy and I'm allergic to being trapped in a skid steer under 15' of water! Got longer discharge hose for pump and then of course his pump wouldn't start. Had to leave at that point to go get my own house off a different lake in case we get more snow this weekend. Probably going to give it a rest until after the storm.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
At this point, I really think your best option is going to be to get some dimensional lumber, timbers, jacks, pry bars, 10 of your best friends, and lift it as if you were moving a house off a foundation, then slide some 2x12x20ft under the wheel divits and try and pull it off with a ranger or something like that. I agree that the time for waiting for mother nature to help out a bit is behind you at this point. With the nasty/cold weather we've been having lately, it feels as though we are crawling out of January. The reality is that we could go from morning temps being -15 to an afternoon of 40+ in a matter of 1-2 days with the march sun starting to gain some strength. I wish I could lend a hand. Keep us posted and good luck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 83