Frozen in Ice Castle ideas?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
[Hook up a large welder to the frame and let it melt the ice under it

Have you ever tried this and had it work ? The old timers used to talk about it but I have a small 7'' steel pipe culvert under my driveway that freezes and I have left a welder on it for many hours and it didn't work. I think what might work in my case and I haven't tried it yet is to string a heavy copper wire and let it freeze in and hook a welder to it , Less surface area to heat.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you ever tried this and had it work ? The old timers used to talk about it but I have a small 7'' steel pipe culvert under my driveway that freezes and I have left a welder on it for many hours and it didn't work. I think what might work in my case and I haven't tried it yet is to string a heavy copper wire and let it freeze in and hook a welder to it , Less surface area to heat.
build yourself some wooden covers to plug up the ends in the winter months

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would consider using a portable tankless water heater when it warms up above freezing with a combination of things mentioned above.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
WIsh I was closer. Would definitely lend a hand. That’s about 3 hours away though.

dschaible

Established Member
cut away ice from around frame with chainsaw, create some pockets under the frame for jacks, get jacks on the corners creating upward pressure, get several demohammers the frame to create some vibration and she should pop, that what i would try anyway.

6-8 guys, 4 chain saws, 4-6 jacks, 4 demohammers/jack hammers a generator/picks/augers. Should be out of there in an a couple hours np.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
.... Should be out of there in an a couple hours np.[/QUOTE]

"NP". ROLMFAO. you definition of no problem and mine must differ slightly. lol

Skibbys bottom

Established Member
I had the same problem, only it was a skid 4x8 spearing shack. I at first put two propane heaters inside the shack and left it for two days. This helped but was still frozen in. I had to resort to screwing two 4x4's into the spearing shack. The 4x4's were long enough to extend about 4 feet. I then drilled out the entire spearing shack to free it from the ice. I then used two handyman jacks to lift the spearing shack out ot the water and let the ice refreeze. It was a lot of work but saved my spearing shack from certain doom and a torch.

I feel for you it wasn't fun but saved a 1000 dollar shack to spear another day.#$%^&>

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
House is still in/on the ice. Owner started working on getting the inside ice melted and pumped away from it today. As soon as the wind stops howling I will go clear a path and move snow away from the house. Once it warms up we'll have at the outside ice again. Lots of good ideas from all of you. Appreciate the help! And it really is a friends house, not my own! lol Will update with progress and possible pictures as we get to working on it again.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
House is still in/on the ice. Owner started working on getting the inside ice melted and pumped away from it today. As soon as the wind stops howling I will go clear a path and move snow away from the house. Once it warms up we'll have at the outside ice again. Lots of good ideas from all of you. Appreciate the help! And it really is a friends house, not my own! lol Will update with progress and possible pictures as we get to working on it again.

good luck... please, no death defying acts... fate is related to that bitch mother nature...

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everything as far as getting this thing out has been discussed, all I can add is a note to self .....Don’t buy an Ice Castle.

I just know if I bought one this would happen.

One more ore thing if he is making payments and doesn’t have a lot into it call the bank up and tell them you are done making payments and that they can come get the damn thing. Then tell them where it’s parked. Lol

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man i would love to see some pictures of this thing.
Also have glasses, googles, or safety glasses on when chipping or swinging an axe into the ice. Good way to lose an eye.
Be safe!!!!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member

DC I have a 4 inch PVC pipe running from my rain gutter under my stone and brick front deck. I use this cord and plug it in all winter. Hope this will help you. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00427COLA/?tag=nodakangler10-20 That says pipe heating cable, but I can't find mine which says roof heating cable. I'll try find that and add it.

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00427COLA/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks PG. For me I think this culvert is a type of therapy , Haha sounds crazy I know . It's an old steel grain auger tube I put it under our driveway about 30 years ago to divert water to a pond and elevation conditions are less than ideal where I had to put it so it usually ends up flowing for a day or two and then we get a cold spell and water sits in it and freezes . One end is under water and the other is below grade so 10 minutes and I could solve my problem but I like the challenge. I have tried all sorts of gadgets some are fast and some failures . The easiest and sometimes the quickest is to put big bertha on one end and let it get cherry red and let the heat migrate to the other end .

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
53303528_10156338004451743_3441219864474157056_n.jpg

might want to learn some "not to do" tricks from this guy...

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't forget some tip-ups and bait. That's going to suck enough out there, at least you could have some lines in when you are working.

- - - Updated - - -

87530749_1778852065584326_9069823636013056000_n.jpg

might want to learn some "not to do" tricks from this guy...

Haha holy shit I'd like to hear that story.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Slight propane blast. When I worked for a propane delivery company my boss made a trailor house look just like that.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id guess that dumping any sort of chemicals on the ice would be illegal, including ice melt...

- - - Updated - - -

something like this might work...

Id cut around the house using chainsaws but angle in, not straight down so it cant fall in, hook up a rope and winch/pull from the front and you should be able to pull it right out, youll get all the ice under it also, but you should still be able to get it off the lake to let it thaw on shore, hopefully, might need a tracked vehicle to pull it tho if theres much snow between the house and shore.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 23