Frozen in Ice Castle ideas?

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
81 posts and not one picture!

This thread is worthless without pics!!!

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree with all those that said let the sun help thaw it out along with cranking the heat up inside and using steam or hot water pressure to melt the ice on the outside. Or maybe enough tannerite under it to send it to the moon.

GSP22366

Electric jack hammer, cut a channel away from the house and create a sump area with small pump? Warm weather should allow better results, you might need to keep area covered to avoid quick refreeze.
Iced a small house a long time ago (younger), took almost 2 days of spud bar. Good luck.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can’t believe no one has suggested shooting the ice around the house.
post #38
About 45 years ago I witnessed a guy shoot a smaller fish house out with a 7mm mag. There still was chopping to be done. Can't say I would recommend it.​

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
One time I was helping an old timer with a risky task and he looked me in the eye and said "Do as I say not what I do"

- - - Updated - - -

Under ideal conditions if there is such a thing, The colder the ice is the more brittle and less effort to chop so if you can get your chopping done early in the morning on a day with warm afternoon temps you will save some work.

DarkWhiskey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bobcat with bucket to move snow, bring bobcat cement jackhammer attachment with to start chiseling around house, put tension on jacks while chiseling and with any luck it will pop free. Used one yesterday around stock tank to chisel through a couple feet of ice, worked great! :cool:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this your house or the house you are asking about for a friend? Asking for a friend.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
All this talk of a skid steer on ice just gives me the shivers. I know there is a lot of ice and the odds of going through are small. But the thought of being in a skid steer and breaking through is enough to say no thanks. Going through in anything would be bad, but a skid steer takes the cake I think. Straight to the bottom like a depth finder. But a jackhammer sounds like a good idea, along with tension on it. Good luck!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
All this talk of a skid steer on ice just gives me the shivers. I know there is a lot of ice and the odds of going through are small. But the thought of being in a skid steer and breaking through is enough to say no thanks. Going through in anything would be bad, but a skid steer takes the cake I think. Straight to the bottom like a depth finder. But a jackhammer sounds like a good idea, along with tension on it. Good luck!

While I understand the difficulty in quick escape from a skidsteer, weight wise I wouldn't be horribly concerned. Once you get to 24" or more of ice you can put an awful lot of weight on it, see iceroad truckers. That being said, I'd want a snowbucket and I'd keep it close to the ice's surface. Much like I have done with my tractor when clearing the skating pond out back.

Coldfront

Established Member
welder

[Hook up a large welder to the frame and let it melt the ice under it

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
One reason I don't own an ice house, too much work, then you have something like this happen. They are nice...but man....the headaches of moving all the time to find fish, then have to get it off if inclement weather rolls around for the fear you may not get to it for awhile etc......just isn't worth it IMO.

Think the best option here is just wait till it warms up, then continue working the ice till its free.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had one --- back in the 90s -- not as fancy (or weight of the ones today). But it wasnt a hassle at all as we always took it off the day we used it. However certain times (1997) you just didnt use it. you used portables --- or if the weather like this year you said F it. Perch are way overrated and no they dont taste better then walleye.

anyway any word -- did he get it out. Hope so -- cant imagine the anxiety

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19