Frozen in Ice Castle ideas?

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove past the ice castle in question today and what a sad deal. That thing has sunk in pretty good. Guy was clearing snow away from it when I drove by. All I can say is good luck. Now that you have the snow away, think I'd go to acme and get a couple pneumatic Jack hammers and their big air compressor and start chiseling that sucker free, I did take a pic but will not post out of respect.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a f’n idiot . Had to have neglected it . Obviously...... and this thread is weeks old why didn’t he take immediate action and do whatEver it took . I hope it sinks and I hope insurance company tells him to take a hike

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a f’n idiot . Had to have neglected it . Obviously...... and this thread is weeks old why didn’t he take immediate action and do whatEver it took . I hope it sinks and I hope insurance company tells him to take a hike

I don't hardly ever give neg rep, but when I do I sign my name to it. Hope you don't need help from this community anytime soon. Awful lot of assumptions and accusations in your post.

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
8andcounting you are not nice . I don't reply
to many posts but you are an ass !

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There were a few weather events and dangerous cold temps to deal with and howling winds. Not worth freezing your you know what's off or worse. Hope the get it out with little damage.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sober . Would never wish harm or bad luck on anyone . But how do u let it get to that point ? How ?

Not my house, to my knowledge never met anyone who knows the house owner, but, to give 8andcounting some ideas about how that sort of thing happens:

1. You travel for work, perhaps for weeks at a time.
2. Family emergency pulled you off the ice early and you couldn't take the time to pull the house off right then. Perhaps said emergency is still ongoing and yet to be resolved.
3. Some sort of "X days" on/off shift work
4. Last actual fishing trip could've been in a vehicle unable to pull the house off, like: "Hey buddy, since it's your house and it's already set up, we'll drive my smaller fuel-sipping SUV out there today."
5. Maybe it's the guy's 1st permanent and he didn't realize/no one ever told him that it should be blocked up, sometimes you just don't know what you don't know.
6. Sometimes, life, work, family, and weather just all combine with poor timing and catches you with your pants down.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a lot easier to have this happen than a person may think. Here's how I think it probably happened.

1. Go fishing, nothing unusual happens while on ice, so you leave it there because you caught a fish. It is, afterall...a permanent.
2. Crappy weather brings in a lot of cold weather and heavy snow with wind.
3. Because of weather, you get to house becaues access is blown in. Might even be hard to get there for a week!
4. Cold weather creates expansion of ice, heavy snow on top of ice near drifted in fish house causes the ice surface to sink. Remember, you've now just put a lot of extra weight on the ice with the house and all the snow. Now the cracks caused by the expanding ice allows water to come up and soak the snow around the house.
5. House is now iced in.

Nobody's fault and this falls under the SHIPO rule (Shit Happens & Poop Occurs).

While this sounds like an extreme example of the above, if you have never seen the above conditions, you probably don't get out on the ice very much. I've seen it several times over the years and I hardly ever icefish anymore.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way easier to happen then one may think. 1 to 2 weeks of the right conditions and you are close to fucked. I've Got a tank of a house that I always put in a pretty convenient place for where I live and work. I literally live within a 5 to 10 miles of where I have put it for 13 years straight and had at least 3 close calls. This year was nearly a disaster. It's a calculated risk u take with a permanent I guess. The risk is way bigger when you live a long ways away and can't see it or visit it regularly. Part of the reason I won't ever own a 15k+ ice house I guess though. Cause I don't like having to pull a "permanent " off every time I use it.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen some houses on devils lake surrounded by deep snow and the house is sitting on bare ice. Only take one dik to drill a couple holes and house is flooded,

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are without a doubt a Richard. And yes karma comes around.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep pretty easy to have happen.

I had it happen to me in high school on the lake I grew up on in MN. Home built 8x6 skid house. Went out to check on it late in the year after not being able to get out to it for over a week. Had 4" ice inside the house. I ended up taking a generator and sawzall and cut the walls off the floor. Towed the walls back to shore. Called the DNR and explained what happened since it was close to the removal deadline. They gave me a pass to leave the floor out there until it thawed itself out a bit.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sober . Would never wish harm or bad luck on anyone . But how do u let it get to that point ? How ?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I present Exhibit A: "I hope it sinks and I hope insurance company tells him to take a hike"
If that's not wishing harm or bad luck, I'd hate to see what is

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88