BB gun

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What have you got for quality, accurate "BB gun" ? Not pellet as I have 2 of them already. Thank you !

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
There really isn't a very accurate BB gun. The projectile is inherently inaccurate.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There really isn't a very accurate BB gun. The projectile is inherently inaccurate.
Ok, A quality BB gun ? If there is such a thing these days ? Had a Crossman pump many years ago, but must be something better out there.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd love to know how many birds & critters met their demise to my daisy powerline 880 over the years as a youngin and how many cans it plinked along with my backup crossman 760. Definitely took care of our squirrel problem in college in a quick hurry as well. It was crazy accuracy in a bottle, never finished under 1st in any bbgun shoot with that thing. Teach your kids open sights and single shot from the onset.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many rodents and sparrows from my youth disagree. ;)

Compared to pellets at longer ranges, BBs don't perform as well. That's all I'm saying. I shot a ton of critters with BBs too. They are fine at closer range.

Last edited:

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
605563C0-F864-42EC-98B4-57C62D2C3D46.jpgA0C8FD89-914B-46A9-AFCC-BFED4D54D782.jpghttps://www.bismanonline.com/daisy_880_bb_pellet_gun

The absolute huckleberry.. If i was in bis this beaut woulda been gone long ago!

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
1687566303610.pngIMG_1465.jpeghttps://www.bismanonline.com/daisy_880_bb_pellet_gun

The absolute huckleberry.. If i was in bis this beaut woulda been gone long ago!

Fifteen bucks! A no-brainer. I would guess it's a leaky son-of-a-gun though. I bet she starts whistling on the second pump.

Gotta be a way to re-build it though...

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got a Daisy pump just like the one in the ad in the late 70's. It had more metal in it than the newer ones, that thing was powerful. Back when they made some brands of soda and beer cans out of tin and not aluminum, it would shoot right through it and not even tip it over!! The exit hole was scary. My brother was an excellent marksmen with it. I can't count the number of times he would make head shots on blackbirds and they would still be alive sitting up with a lobotomy. There was very little plastic in that gun.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
the new ones are junk. the one in that ad is likely newer. the older ones with the metal receivers, pumps, etc... faired much better and fetch a decent price still online if you can find one. they weren't indestructible by any means. but, much nicer and more dependable. fwiw... i finally scored one online a year or two ago. in pretty good shape. i think my expectations on accuracy have gone up a bit though since i was in grade school as its not nearly what i remember it being when i was wyatt earp (in my own mind) as a kid.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
the clearing of intown nesciences is ever so more difficult. My father purchased one of the single pump, like you bent it in half style to pump style BB guns for some pesky squirrels and had fabulous success

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought four different brands/models, took them home and had a round robin target shoot with a variety of ammo, took the three losers back the next day, kept the good one.

Pellet guns are super sketchy - lemon city.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to impart much stabilizing spin on a steel BB @ "BB-gun" pressures. You can roll the thing in from the muzzle end, how accurate do you really expect one can be? How much stabilizing spin can be imparted upon something that's essentially rattling down the bore?

For those of you who believed that you or a sibling were Vasily Zeitzev, Carlos Hathcock, or Chris Kyle with any pneumatic device firing steel BB's, you weren't.

Damned few could correctly claim a 1:10 shot/kill ratio with 1:25-1:50 being more realistic speaking strictly for pneumatic and/or CO2 powered devices shooting specifically steel BB's.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once you get into a descent PCP pellet rifle, everything else seems sub-par by a wide margin. You tie up some $$ though.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to impart much stabilizing spin on a steel BB @ "BB-gun" pressures. You can roll the thing in from the muzzle end, how accurate do you really expect one can be? How much stabilizing spin can be imparted upon something that's essentially rattling down the bore?

For those of you who believed that you or a sibling were Vasily Zeitzev, Carlos Hathcock, or Chris Kyle with any pneumatic device firing steel BB's, you weren't.

Damned few could correctly claim a 1:10 shot/kill ratio with 1:25-1:50 being more realistic speaking strictly for pneumatic and/or CO2 powered devices shooting specifically steel BB's.
I venture to say in my youth of shooting black birds out of the back yard trees, we were into that 1:3 ratio, maybe even better. Not sure if it was because they would sit on a branch about 15 ft above our heads, or if we are just the best BB gun shots in the FM area circa 1980

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I venture to say in my youth of shooting black birds out of the back yard trees, we were into that 1:3 ratio, maybe even better. Not sure if it was because they would sit on a branch about 15 ft above our heads, or if we are just the best BB gun shots in the FM area circa 1980

You think you killed 100 blackbirds out of a 350ct tube of BB's?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You think you killed 100 blackbirds out of a 350ct tube of BB's?
Well I am 50 now, so reflecting back on 40 years ago, I would say most definitely we did. I had 2 cousins next door that were part of the nonsense blackbird slaughter of the early 80's, I will send out some emails and get a consensus, then report back.

Was the best of times, except for them poor blackbirds, they likely wished we were shittier shots like obviously you were...haha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55