I need a seasickness solution

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I was on Sak recently and once again the waves came up a little and I got green around the gills again. Waves weren't like it was time to get off the water or anything but I'm usually not too bad till I look down in the boat to tie a different rig on then I'm done. Came off the water and my stomach felt like shit for like 5 hours afterwards. Really sucks. I have tried the less drowsy dramamine and helps some but damn near knocks me out, I just don't care for the way it makes me feel. Another chewable product called nauzene doesnt work for me either. I would like to hear if anyone has luck with the wristbands that are about $120 before I buy one. I have not tried the behind the ear patches either yet seems like on user reviews they work for some people. It's weird cause it only really bothers me on Sak and Devils lake. The smaller lakes the waves can get big and it doesnt get me as bad.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can go buy dramamine at a pharmacy, or get some scopolamine patches at the pharmacy, you'll need a prescription for scopolamine, but most doctors won't require a office visit. Benadryl will also work to some extent as it is a similar compound to dramamine, but will obviously make you drowsy.

The fact that this is a new condition it may warrant chatting with your doctor in case there is an issue with your inner ear(s).

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The relief band works on the same nerve they'd use for acupuncture/pressure to relieve nausea, any kind of nausea.

They're used for obviously any kind of motion sickness. I know they've worked for a few women during pregnancy, and they work for some people after surgery/anesthesia.

The only time I ever got seasick I was off the coast of OR and I wasn't wearing one, but, everyone on the boat including all 3 deckhands barfed, only the captain kept his food down.

Also, they don't work (or didn't for me) for hangover induced nausea. (grin)

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be curious to hear too. My dad has the issue sometimes on the rougher days. I pretty much can't let him look down for too long or he will get sick. Green is no understatement, we were catching fish like crazy in a crosswind of BIG waves several years ago and he was dang near green in color he was so sick. Never seen anything like it!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my friends wife wore a bracelet with a round thing on a pressure point, said it worked most of the time.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wristbands worked for my FIL fishing in Alaska. Strange thing was that he had them on backwards so the pressure point wasn't applying any pressure at all. Must have been his faith in the bands.

Whenever I've fished in the ocean or big water in this state I've made sure I never stare at the floor and concentrate watching shore or birds and constantly change my view and try not to stare at anything for any length of time. Has always worked for me.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sea sickness sounds like hell to me - nausea is awful. Hope you find a solution!

Last edited:

Happycamper

Honored Member
Bonine, tried and true. I tried the wrist band fishing out of Homer Ak, Thought I was gonna die.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m glad I’ve never had to deal with this. Doesn’t sound like fun

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The wife says Amazon has different types of wristbands - cheap. Read the reviews...worth a shot! I'd also try the Bonine as mentioned above.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
My bride used Ginger during her Chemo. Got some ginger candy off Amazon and also drank Ginger Ale. Both worked, not totally but helped immensely.
I also wonder if you don't have something going on in your inner ear.

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished in the Pacific Ocean off SFO, Santa Cruz and Monterey for 30 years from 1985 to 2015. I used Dramamine for 10 years before I whipped seasickness. The only other thing that I saw that worked was ginger snaps. I would certainly give them a try.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They make a ginger gum for said ailment.

- - - Updated - - -

I reckon inexpensive candied ginger from the Asian stores would work too. That stuff packs a tremendous ginger wallop.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55