2023 ND Deer Rifle Season

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
"The illusory truth effect of “game and fish bad” is strong since the bait ban fiasco"

Much like the CDC and Covid.

I will NEVER understand how either of these two agencies would choose to go down the path they did. Other than it paid better and kept them in "the club" somehow.

Tribalism exists, even in government agencies I guess. It's a big club, but the average Joe ain't in it.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed, but how badly things were bungled have made it so “science” is a bad word that will get you discredited; and I think we need to get past that. I’ve seen idiocracy.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
We didn't see a lot of deer while deer hunting. Granted we were done the first Saturday, but I can tell you that we usually see more than we did. In addition, we went pheasant hunting this past Saturday and covered a lot of ground. All the crop was off in the area we were hunting. We walked some abandoned farmsteads and some tree rows. Not a deer to be seen. Due to this, I am also going to say deer numbers are WAY down.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
the last couple winter have hammered the deer herd, I pretty much bird hunt sept and oct and i can say there arent many deer around, let alone the red river valley is pretty much a black desert for 6 months a year.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hunted southern 2H and I would estimate 50% less deer (at least) compared to the last few years.

I ate tag soup for supper Sunday night.

By choice I may add, nevertheless, it was a pretty sad year.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed, but how badly things were bungled have made it so “science” is a bad word that will get you discredited; and I think we need to get past that. I’ve seen idiocracy.
That's what stuns me. As a scientists who's authored/co-authored peer-reviewed science journal articles and a chapter in a book, I can't image going along with the charade and not protesting. Wait - yes I can, knowing I'd be mocked, ridiculed, black-balled if I didn't. I probably would have submitted to the pressure of it all and folded.

Imagine what it feels to be one of those scientists now... and how it rearranged your perspective for the worse.

Will they now feel angry/guilty the rest of their life/career? OR - will they decide it was no big deal and "the science" really isn't the pursuit of understanding they always thought it was. It's politics/culture/power/influence that are more important than true science - always was - always will be?

Either way - YUCK.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND CRP Expirations (Acres) by fiscal yr

2020 = 205,724 acres

2023 = 104,633 acres
2024 = 37,723 acres
2025 = 60,694 acres
2026 = 57,348 acres
2027 = 110,036 acres

Granted some may be re-enrolled ?

Some will certainly be re-enrolled, but the amount of re-enrollment or new enrollment will depend on the farm bill and its provisions for CRP, if I understand things correctly. Once the new farm bill gets passed, the requirements for CRP will get announced and CRP acres in ND will either go up or down according to the new preferences for land eligible for enrollment. I surely don't understand the nuances of it, but a loss of CRP in ND is often offset by an increase in another part of the country.

Of course, landowners will generally seek the greatest return, and if cash rent or farming the acres themselves pencils out to more $$ in the pocket, it's tough to see much in the way of new CRP contracts.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
@Allen , I think we kinda know which way is going to pencil out for more money , and its a sad thing to see. Habitat is about nonexistent for wildlife, could definitely need some help.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
@Allen , I think we kinda know which way is going to pencil out for more money , and its a sad thing to see. Habitat is about nonexistent for wildlife, could definitely need some help.

Nowadays, that appears to be very true as CRP payments have not kept up with cash rent, or profit from farming it.

There was a time though where CRP was very competitive.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just completed my survey for deer season. It no longer asks how many deer you saw so I had to write in in under the comment section.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe take some of that huge huge lump of cash the federal govt gives them for CWD and put it towards something usueful like habitat……. No fk dumb idea need to be a liberal “ scientist “ to get the GF to listen

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what stuns me. As a scientists who's authored/co-authored peer-reviewed science journal articles and a chapter in a book, I can't image going along with the charade and not protesting. Wait - yes I can, knowing I'd be mocked, ridiculed, black-balled if I didn't. I probably would have submitted to the pressure of it all and folded.

Imagine what it feels to be one of those scientists now... and how it rearranged your perspective for the worse.

Will they now feel angry/guilty the rest of their life/career? OR - will they decide it was no big deal and "the science" really isn't the pursuit of understanding they always thought it was. It's politics/culture/power/influence that are more important than true science - always was - always will be?

Either way - YUCK.
Great points.

I am one that would have taken the black ball. Its never easy to put yourself into the outsider arena, however, wrong is wrong.

Getting bullied into shit, and doing it has life long effects. I have to be able to look in the mirror, face my family, etc. Something that is slowly being lost in the more and more non Christian country.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son and I have just bought points over years to gain points for Mule buck tag, I have couple great rancher friends for that hunt soon. Numbers are stupid low I have helped many farmers bury alot of deer last year. Also helped with alot of farming too all over state numbers just suck. Even with all duck and upland hunting just makes guy sick. Maybe 10 deer total for whole year.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the topic of habitat I would add that todays farm equipment and practices play a role in the whole scheme even if it is small. Todays equipment is so efficient in harvesting grain there isn't much left for the deer to wonder around and nibble on or fields get dug in the fall leaving less snacks. I know it doesn't seem like much but it does supplement their browsing and the less effort for the animal the better.
We are defiantly in need of a couple mild winters and some better predator control wouldn't hurt either

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the topic of habitat I would add that todays farm equipment and practices play a role in the whole scheme even if it is small. Todays equipment is so efficient in harvesting grain there isn't much left for the deer to wonder around and nibble on or fields get dug in the fall leaving less snacks. I know it doesn't seem like much but it does supplement their browsing and the less effort for the animal the better.
We are defiantly in need of a couple mild winters and some better predator control wouldn't hurt either
I was surprised at the low numbers of predators we saw also. Only 1 fox, 3 yotes this yr., where as the previous yrs we shot 3 or 4 per yr.
Rooster count was only 6, bagging 1 of them. Grouse numbers are good and partridge numbers are on the rebound.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tile and drain everything decreases wetlands, doze down every belt and tree grove means no habitat, work up every stand of prairie means no cover. No belts and groves means nothing to catch snow so any remaining area of cover is buried by wind that has nothing to slow it down anymore.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Out of state hunting is getting way more attractive each passing year. I ate a doe tag by choice in ND after hunting the first weekend. There are pockets of deer around but those pockets are less and less each year. On the bright side Idaho has their 2024 NR tag draw this Friday!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84