243 winchester with 85 TSX for elk?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ill be the one laughing when I retire .025 days early with all the money Im saving on pickling salt! ;:;funnypost

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
308/130's will work just fine and have little more recoil than the 243.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
308/130's will work just fine and have little more recoil than the 243.

I agree 308 with 130 or even the 110 would do the elk in. Seems the tsx and high shoulder equal death from what I have seen.

- - - Updated - - -

To add if I had to 85 tsx would not scare me but if I am shooting one the heavy 6mm pills would do some fine killing.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I suspect if you're asking the question you have an idea what most of the answers are going to be. Don't have a .243 but do have a .25-06 and would hesitate to use that on elk. The TSX is a good choice but at 85 gr. it's hard to make up the penetration needed for an animal the size of elk.

With a perfect shot that gun would work but it's rare that you will get the perfect shot. Anything closer to the 130 gr. area would be better for me since you asked. There are several calibers that are fairly low recoil that will adequately shoot a 130 gr. bullet. One of my personal favorites would be the 7mm-08. Don't own one but know a couple of women who shoot that caliber have seen and heard lots of good things about that gun.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could have her try my Rock River 308 with a silencer once I get it. Ive got some 110TTSX or 130TSX that would probably do ok on elk also... Ive never hunted elk in MT before, we would be in the Great Falls area. Any idea how long of shots to expect?
Can you use suppressors for big game in Montana

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just really dumb down some loads for your 7mm for the girl to use as practice. Then before actually going to the field, sight it back in for quality ammo and give her only the good stuff.

She won't know until she pulls the trigger, but she'll shoot that one shot she should need just fine without a flinch.

There may be some trust issues in the future between the two of you, oh well.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely go with a good reliable bullet. Elk are tough critters especially mountain elk.
Can't help you in the Great Falls area sorry. We always hunted the Bitterroot Valley in Montana. Usually south of Darby back in the day. Buddy of mine says the damn wolves have really thinned out the elk where we used to hunt. I like wolves but there should be a season on them too.
Wish i would have done more as those days are long gone!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good question on the suppressor in MT, Ill have to research that...

[h=1]Montana legalizes Hunting with Suppressors (silencers)[/h] by David M. Goldman

It is now legal to hunt in Montana with a Suppressor. On April 23rd, 2015, Gov. Steve Bullock signed House Bill 250, legalizing the use of suppressors for all lawful hunting in Montana. The bill, sponsored by Rep. Kirk Wagoner (R-75), originally pertained only to the use of a suppressed firearm “when hunting wildlife not protected by state or federal law”. However, on March 27th, Gov. Bullock’s returned HB 250 to the legislature with proposed amendments that sought to expand the scope of the legislation to allow the use of a suppressor on a firearm during all lawful hunting.
Mr Bullock previously vetoed a similar bill in 2013, but explained the recent signing by stating:
“It is time for Montana to join the clear majority of states that allow the use of suppressors for hunting. All of the western states do so, except for California. The public perception of suppressors as the same thing as silencers, where the assassin quietly dispatches his victim, no longer holds true. Suppressors mitigate the sound of a shot, but do not silence it.
The use of suppressors for hunting, when hunters cannot wear ear protection because they need to be aware of their surroundings, can help protect against hearing loss. This is especially true for our younger hunters, even those who are not actually hunting, but are accompanying their parent in the field.
I understand the concerns regarding the risks of increased poaching and do not take this lightly, but other states have not found this to be the case.”
Montana has become the 35 state to permit hunting with suppressors without restrictions and the 36th state to permit hunting with a suppressor. The use of a Gun Trust can simply the process or purchasing a suppressor and permit additional authorized users, which is not possible when purchased as an individual. If you are looking for a Montana Gun Trust or Montana NFA trust contact us for further information on the process.​
The ASA reported that the bill had been signed into law along with the benefits of using a suppressor:​
There are many benefits to using a suppressor, including:

1. HEARING PROTECTION: Noise induced hearing loss and tinnitus are two of the most common afflictions for recreational shooters and hunters. Everyone knows that gunfire is loud, but very few people understand the repercussions that shooting can have on their hearing until it’s too late. Suppressors reduce the noise of a gunshot by an average of 20 – 35 dB, which is roughly the same as earplugs or earmuffs. By decreasing the overall sound signature, suppressors help to preserve the hearing of recreational shooters, hunters, and hunting dogs around the world.
  2. SAFER HUNTING: Most hunters do not wear not wear hearing protection in the field because they want to hear their surroundings. The trouble is, exposure to even a single unsuppressed gunshot can, and often does, lead to permanent hearing damage. Suppressors allow hunters to maintain full situational awareness, while still protecting their hearing. The result is a safer hunting experience for the hunter, and for those nearby.
  3. NOISE COMPLAINTS: As urban developments advance into rural areas, shooting ranges and hunting preserves across the country are being closed due to noise complaints. Although it can still be heard, suppressed gunfire helps mitigate noise complaints from those who live near shooting ranges and hunting land.
  4. ACCURACY: Suppressors reduce recoil, and help decrease muzzle flinch. These benefits lead to improved accuracy, better shot placement, and more humane hunts.
The American Suppressor Association would like to thank Gov. Bullock for his open-minded approach to suppressor hunting. We call on more elected officials to follow his example of taking the time to become educated on the realities of suppressors, rather than basing judgments on the myths and misconceptions that surround these accessories.
We look forward to continuing to work towards our goal of legalizing suppressor ownership and hunting in all 50 states. We would like to thank Montana for taking us all one step closer.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone who hunts in MT know if I can carry the rifle for her and let her take the shot, or does she need to carry it the whole time herself?

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good deal!! Definite .308 then!! Next question I have is can she carry it? Perhaps you can be the gun-bearer in MT?

- - - Updated - - -

Range isn't a concern. Have her practice to 350 and the rest is Dad's job.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
If its a good lung shot I am betting on the 85gr TSX. As far as the people talking about a 243 being marginal for deer, and being responsible for so many cripples; I would venture to guess there are more cripples that run away in ND that are hit with larger calibers and stupid shot choices. Way too many people pay lil or no attention to their "deer rifle" until the weekend before deer season. Their barrels are dirty rusty and eroded and their skills are marginal at best and bam November comes and they are shooting machines winging at everything that moves within a quarter mile.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed Buck. On the other hand, you going on and elk hunt with your daughter with this setup?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a reason people don't use a .243 for cape buffalo. There is also a reason there are restrictions on caliber size for certain animals. Not all animals are the same size! I'm not one to say that a .243 can't kill a deer or elk or even a cape buffalo but I want something with more knockdown power on something bigger than a deer. Elk are big and tough animals. I want an elk not to move after I shoot it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know Hors is lurking and ready to pounce. Let's remember the criteria and available equipment.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a reason people don't use a .243 for cape buffalo. There is also a reason there are restrictions on caliber size for certain animals. Not all animals are the same size! I'm not one to say that a .243 can't kill a deer or elk or even a cape buffalo but I want something with more knockdown power on something bigger than a deer. Elk are big and tough animals. I want an elk not to move after I shoot it.

I can kill a grizzly with a knife but I would rather have a 10mm

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I figured my daughter could only handle a 243 we would put in a lot of practice and I would limit the shot range to that which were well within her capabilities.

In reality if it were my daughter she would be shooting her mother's 25 wssm with either Accubonds or TSXs....

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the .243 proves legal, a hotter rd and heavier bullet would be better IMHO. There's one of those "Alaska" episodes which the cops investigated a moose kill with a pellet gun. Multiple hits and dead in the neighbor's yard.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
aa.jpg

I can kill a grizzly with a knife but I would rather have a 10mm

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If its a good lung shot I am betting on the 85gr TSX. As far as the people talking about a 243 being marginal for deer, and being responsible for so many cripples; I would venture to guess there are more cripples that run away in ND that are hit with larger calibers and stupid shot choices. Way too many people pay lil or no attention to their "deer rifle" until the weekend before deer season. Their barrels are dirty rusty and eroded and their skills are marginal at best and bam November comes and they are shooting machines winging at everything that moves within a quarter mile.

"IF" no one made mistakes in this world then everybody would be perfect like you. First time hunt of a lifetime and the elk peeks out of the woods --you have trained for this for years --- you aim for for the rib cage at at an angle ---he is not straight on but your confident that your bullet will pass through a vital area --- your nervous as you have never seen such a big animal -- you dont have much time as the big bull is staring at you and ready to move at any time you try to steady your shot --- boom he moves as you finger pulls the trigger the bullet placement moves inches into the shoulder. The bullet fails to to take the animal down and the big elk goes into the thick woods. You spend 3 hours looking for him and then darkness falls. Only blood at the impact site.

Run the same scenario with a 300 ultra mag with another 100 grains on the bullet.

EOS

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93