243 winchester with 85 TSX for elk?

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
"IF" no one made mistakes in this world then everybody would be perfect like you. First time hunt of a lifetime and the elk peeks out of the woods --you have trained for this for years --- you aim for for the rib cage at at an angle ---he is not straight on but your confident that your bullet will pass through a vital area --- your nervous as you have never seen such a big animal -- you dont have much time as the big bull is staring at you and ready to move at any time you try to steady your shot --- boom he moves as you finger pulls the trigger the bullet placement moves inches into the shoulder. The bullet fails to to take the animal down and the big elk goes into the thick woods. You spend 3 hours looking for him and then darkness falls. Only blood at the impact site.

Run the same scenario with a 300 ultra mag with another 100 grains on the bullet.

EOS

1. Where did I ever say I was perfect?
2. Use your 300 UM scenario and flinch at the shot and hit the bull in the paunch same result lost animal. Of course bigger and more powerful is better if you can handle it.....

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I apologize for being an @sshole. But when ever i read these threads where somebody comes on and says that people dont "hunt corrrectly because of "skills are marginal"----- I just see a nose up in the air. What is the standard "skill" by law?

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
when I watch guys at the rifle range shoot 12" groups off a bench @100yds I would say that's pretty marginal..... when I watch guys drive all day and jump out and unload their guns at deer running 300-600yards I'd say they are probably pretty subpar hunters.....

Last edited:

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's funny, I've seen many guys that are amazing out at the range, very small groups at long distances, etc. However, you get a deer in front of them and they lose it. Then you have guys that are supposedly marginal on the range, but are dead eyes when it actually matters. Being great at the range doesn't mean crap, it's just to feel confident in your weapon, which is great, but who cares how small of groups you can shoot.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Texas heart shot, your good to go

I did that on a doe a few years back with the bow. I still don't know how I shot that bad, but she only made it 5 yards and was dead in a couple of seconds. I've never seen that much blood from a deer that I've shot before. My best worst shot ever.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back on track: Lycan's daughter needs to kill an elk.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan what rifles do you own that you are looking at?
If you are aloud to carry the rifle for her the 308 would be perfect
If not do any of your family or friends have a heavier caliber than 243 that she could use for this hunt?
To me a 243 is a little light for such a tough critter. a rib or shoulder would take most of the energy away from a 243. Under ideal conditions a 243 could kill and elk very dead. But i would worry about ruining the hunt with a wounding shot that a slightly larger bore rifle could of made a kill shot

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's funny, I've seen many guys that are amazing out at the range, very small groups at long distances, etc. However, you get a deer in front of them and they lose it. Then you have guys that are supposedly marginal on the range, but are dead eyes when it actually matters. Being great at the range doesn't mean crap, it's just to feel confident in your weapon, which is great, but who cares how small of groups you can shoot.

I agree with pretty much all of what you said. I have seen guys that shoot 3" groups on the bench that are deadly as all hell on game and I've seen guys that are absolute marksman fall apart at the sight of a big buck, but guys that are shooting groups that barely land 3 shots on 12"x12" target at 100yds :;:huh I just don't think that will translate to good shots in the field.....

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
you have guys that are supposedly marginal on the range, but are dead eyes when it actually matters.

If you can't shoot well @ the range, you're leaving opportunity on the table in the field as well.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would use some 100 grain hornady interlocks or 100 grain nosler partitions. The barnes tsx in my experience is not a great choice. I have seen them perform well when you run them into shoulders but for lung shooting they pencil through without doing much damage in many cases. Bigger guns cause bad habits and poor shot placement so I would stick with a smaller cartridge. A 25-06 would be a good choice for her. Just pick standing shots and less than 300 yds.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The barnes tsx in my experience is not a great choice. I have seen them perform well when you run them into shoulders but for lung shooting they pencil through without doing much damage in many cases.

Vehemently disagree. Then again, I've only shot deer through the lungs with 243/85's, 25-06/100's, 257Wby/100's, 270/140's, 7-08/120's, 280/120's, 7Rem/120's, 7WSM/120's, 308/130's, 300Win/200's, and watched a number killed w/338/210's.

More often than not this "pencil through" business happens to folks who believe there are lungs aft of the ribs/diaphragm.

1dogdown

Founding Member
Founding Member
.270 minimum. I personally feel .243 is light for deer. A lot of wounded deer running around during deer season because they were shot with a smaller caliber. Yeah "if you hit them right you can kill them with a .22", yada yada yada. Well a inexperience hunter should be using a larger caliber because they do not have the "EXPERIENCE" in harvesting an animal. A few inches off is the difference between a recovered animal and coyote bait. I shoot a 300 win mag. You put a muzzle break on a .300 and the recoil will be like a 243. Buddy has a 7RUM with a break on it and it kicks like a 22-250. Trade off is noise, make sure to shoot with ear plugs. My 300mag had a muzzle break on it and I went out elk hunting and damaged my ears really bad (over 50% damage to my left ear, permanent tinnitus). Got home and took it off. I'll take the recoil over being deaf. Now I always shoot with ear plugs while out hunting. Just my $.02
Couldn't agree more!! I have a 25-06 and have chased more deer than I have anchored. I love the gun, it just has little knock down compared to my .270. I would never dream of using it on elk, for myself or especially a novice hunter! I also have a .300 with the BOSS muzzle break and that is by far the way to go in my opinion. Hardly any recoil but you better have ear plugs. My sister in law who is a small gal shot her ND elk a few years back with my .300 and i believe she deer hunts with a .270.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couldn't agree more!! I have a 25-06 and have chased more deer than I have anchored. I love the gun, it just has little knock down compared to my .270. I would never dream of using it on elk, for myself or especially a novice hunter! I also have a .300 with the BOSS muzzle break and that is by far the way to go in my opinion. Hardly any recoil but you better have ear plugs. My sister in law who is a small gal shot her ND elk a few years back with my .300 and i believe she deer hunts with a .270.

So your saying my 6.5 creedmoor shooting the 143 eldx carrying 1600 ft lbs of energy at 400 and damn near 1000 out to 800 is to small for elk. If I have time I will have to compare it ti the 270 guessing I will be less than impressed. The 270 win is an average at best round especially with factory ammo but gun rags have convinced other wise.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not a tsx pimp but small and fast copper bullets shot high shoulder have never failed or allowed a step forward on any of the critters I have seen killed.

- - - Updated - - -

Another deep dive most dont like to look at is the sectional density of a bullet.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Vehemently disagree. Then again, I've only shot deer through the lungs with 243/85's, 25-06/100's, 257Wby/100's, 270/140's, 7-08/120's, 280/120's, 7Rem/120's, 7WSM/120's, 308/130's, 300Win/200's, and watched a number killed w/338/210's.

More often than not this "pencil through" business happens to folks who believe there are lungs aft of the ribs/diaphragm.

I have shot deer with many calibers also as well as many with a bow and muzzleloader and I know where the lungs are on a deer. I have watched deer punched tight to the shoulder with this bullet and I am not impressed. Your not the only one that has tested bullets and shot a number of deer with that bullet. The shot placement has not been a issue. I have experienced devastating bone destruction with this bullet but when run through the lungs I have had deer run off 100-200 yds and lay down and not die quickly. I inspect bullet performance on organs after the kill and exit wound were merely just larger than caliber used holes. I have many friends that have tried them too with mixed results. If you prefer to shoulder shoot your big game they are lights out. Every caliber because of velocity has its niche bullet. The fast ones need a well constructed bullet which I am fans of accubond, interlock, partition, scirroco II, and a-frame. The slower moving cartridges a ballistic tip, game-king, and sst do a great job.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
all bullets will fail but i refuse to shoot accubombs at any thing they have been the one i seen not perform more than any other bullet

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would use some 100 grain hornady interlocks or 100 grain nosler partitions. The barnes tsx in my experience is not a great choice. I have seen them perform well when you run them into shoulders but for lung shooting they pencil through without doing much damage in many cases. Bigger guns cause bad habits and poor shot placement so I would stick with a smaller cartridge. A 25-06 would be a good choice for her. Just pick standing shots and less than 300 yds.

I have had bad luck with 7mm 139gr Hornady Interlocs- jacket separation on several WT deer the Interbonds are a much better bullet

- - - Updated - - -

I have shot deer with many calibers also as well as many with a bow and muzzleloader and I know where the lungs are on a deer. I have watched deer punched tight to the shoulder with this bullet and I am not impressed. Your not the only one that has tested bullets and shot a number of deer with that bullet. The shot placement has not been a issue. I have experienced devastating bone destruction with this bullet but when run through the lungs I have had deer run off 100-200 yds and lay down and not die quickly. I inspect bullet performance on organs after the kill and exit wound were merely just larger than caliber used holes. I have many friends that have tried them too with mixed results. If you prefer to shoulder shoot your big game they are lights out. Every caliber because of velocity has its niche bullet. The fast ones need a well constructed bullet which I am fans of accubond, interlock, partition, scirroco II, and a-frame. The slower moving cartridges a ballistic tip, game-king, and sst do a great job.

When you talk about interlocks being a good choice in fast calibers you start to lose credibility....just sayin:;:smokin

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your options are to take your daughter elk hunting with a 243 or have her sit at home, then get her proficient with that weapon and hit the field, no question about it. Use a good bullet and HUNT for an appropriate shot. If you have the wherewithall or opportunity to aquire a more suitable weapon you have an ocean of information and suggestions here. Have fun and I'm pullin' for your little girl to be in a pic with an elk here on NDA. Good Luck!!!

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had bad luck with 7mm 139gr Hornady Interlocs- jacket separation on several WT deer the Interbonds are a much better bullet

- - - Updated - - -

When you talk about interlocks being a good choice in fast calibers you start to lose credibility....just sayin:;:smokin

Excuse me, I meant interbonds.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93