7-08 Rem: Input Needed

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can get 200 rounds of 129gr Hornady Hunter ammo for like $180.

Ok, next question: Kimber claims that the new Hunter model has the same barrel, action, and trigger as the Montana but has a rigid polymer stock and detachable magazine that make it $400 cheaper than the Montana. Still comes with a sub-MOA guarantee and Kimber claims the honeycomb design makes the stock as rigid under pressure as the carbon fiber Montana stock. Weight is negligible.

Has anyone used a Kimber hunter? Is the polymer stock garbage?

IMG_2905.JPG

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy lapua brass and save time. They have better quality control. You do not have to do a dam thing to the primer pockets cheap brass you will spend waaaayyy to much time making them consistent. 2) you will be able to control neck tension much better than cheap ass brass. If you want consistent results you need consistent loads and neck tension is very important. I only buy lapua brass except in the 7mm Remington mag I use Norma as lapua has stopped making it or I just cannot find it. I have looked at all my places.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the polymer stock garbage?

23434983_1477058755743446_3391297194401174305_n.jpg

Can you purchase an aftermarket stock equivalent to what comes on the MT for $400? Check Brown's Pounder, McMillan's Edge, and Manners Carbon Fiber. B&C Medalist is not equivalent nor is anything from HS Precision.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you purchase an aftermarket stock equivalent to what comes on the MT for $400? Check Brown's Pounder, McMillan's Edge, and Manners Carbon Fiber. B&C Medalist is not equivalent nor is anything from HS Precision.

I really love the carbon fiber Kimber stocks but thought perhaps I was overvaluing their utility considering the cost when compared to HSP and BC. Thanks for clearing that up.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy Moses, aftermarket carbon fiber stocks start at $600. And this is why I ask...

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
That's what I was thinking, but I'm starting to find examples of guys resizing 7.62 LC brass to 6.5 CM. On a side note, PWS makes an MK220 (long-stroke piston AR-10) in 6.5 CM. That's my 2nd favorite AR10.

Here's an intriguing example:

http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=1996.0

"I've been shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor for approximately 2 year. I've fired in excess of 1100 rounds between two rifles. The first rifle was a Savage 10FCP-K that I rebarreled to 6.5. A Krieger 1-8.5 barrel was used. I have since built a new rifle using a Pierce Engineering short action repeater mated to a Broughton 1-8 5C barrel that fits in a Eliseo R5 chassis system. When I started to reload for it brass was difficult to find. I began forming the 6.5 CM case from Lake City and Federal Cartridge once fired brass. It was a challenge, however, I was successful. I do not use any brass but L.C. or F.C. The brass must be hard when working it. If you anneal it before forming you will crush the brass. Anneal after the forming. I used Redding full length sizing die with the decapper removed. Imperial sizing lube was used for the lubricant.
There are advantages to using LC and FC brass. It has a thicker wall and does require neck turning. This allows a tighter neck in the chamber. I turn the necks to .295 diameter. Saami spec for the neck diameter in the chamber is.296 diameter. I trim the brass to the minimum length and have not needed to trim any so far. I only neck size using a Redding bump die. Because the brass is thicker it will take a higher pressure charge. Currently, I am using Winchester large rifle primers, 44.0 of Ramshot Hunter for Hornady 140 BTHP Match and Nosler 140CC. 44.3 grains of Ramshot Hunter for Berger 140VLD and 140Hybrid. The powder charge is not compressed. I have observered that the 140 & 142 grain bullet are concidered heavy bullets. Heavy bullets use slower burning powders. I have achieved a stable muzzle velocity of 2950 fps average with excellent accuracy. There are no pressure signs such as crateing or pierced primers. No loose primer pockets. No smileys on the head. I cannot say how long my barrels will last. There was a lot of trial and error. Emphisis on error.
Hornady picked a winner. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a fantastic cartrige and has a lot of potential. It's performance can be improved.
I retired my 308."

- - - Updated - - -

Also neat: http://txbrassworks.com/lake-city-762-creedmoor-conversion/

i agree with you guys 100% that 6.5 creedmoore is a much better round then a .308 but unless your precision shooter and put in the table time or really want to get into it I went the other way and retired my expensive ammo guns and went to my main plinker as a .308. I only shoot to 600 IMG_0701.jpg ards with it but I can buy ammo for 8-10$ a box and keep within 1moa. I could do better but for me I'd rather take the enjoyment of plinking compared to right groups. Did throw some high grade rounds through it and can get it down to a penny at 100 yards. Only reason I mentioned earlier cheaper to build then buy, this one cost me a little under 1,000$ and it's got about everything done you can to it.

- - - Updated - - -

And just to throw this in, if your not looking to reach out and touch something and if your looking for a mountain gun, for deer don't discount the 30-30. I know it's not popular out here as much as it use to be but if your looking for something that can reach out to 300 and reliable look into it. It's my go to gun and has done everything I've ever asked it to. I've got over 100 different rifles and when deer season comes along that's the first one I'll grab. Even going to take it pronghorn hunting this fall because they are light and deadly.
imagejpeg

Attachments

IMG_0855.jpg

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree with you guys 100% that 6.5 creedmoore is a much better round then a .308 but unless your precision shooter and put in the table time or really want to get into it I went the other way and retired my expensive ammo guns and went to my main plinker as a .308. I only shoot to 600 23559745_2017408611603638_9114125740747593200_n.jpg ards with it but I can buy ammo for 8-10$ a box and keep within 1moa. I could do better but for me I'd rather take the enjoyment of plinking compared to right groups. Did throw some high grade rounds through it and can get it down to a penny at 100 yards. Only reason I mentioned earlier cheaper to build then buy, this one cost me a little under 1,000$ and it's got about everything done you can to it.

- - - Updated - - -

And just to throw this in, if your not looking to reach out and touch something and if your looking for a mountain gun, for deer don't discount the 30-30. I know it's not popular out here as much as it use to be but if your looking for something that can reach out to 300 and reliable look into it. It's my go to gun and has done everything I've ever asked it to. I've got over 100 different rifles and when deer season comes along that's the first one I'll grab. Even going to take it pronghorn hunting this fall because they are light and deadly.
imagejpeg

I appreciate what you're saying. Actually, I've already got the plinking part down. In fact, I buy ammo 1,000 rds at a time. The stuff doesn't expire so I have case upon case of plinking ammo. Almost all of my rifles are auto loaders. The whole precision thing is new to me. "Accuracy through volume" is kind of my life's motto.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1