A good lake map app?

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I reluctantly replaced my flip phone for an iphone and was curious what a good app for lake contours would be? Thanks fellas! Oh and this is for ND lakes.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it the boating USA app. I'm iphone illiterate so please for give the dumb questions. I just don't wAnt to get the wrong one.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be sure to download some of your favorite areas so you don't need to use any cell reception to view the maps.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the navonics app that is all I have for a GPS and it hasn't let me down only down side is if u lose or break your phone u lose your way points.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
One word "fishidy"
Also it free app unless you want the hot spot which I have never cared for, most of the navionics maps are also on fishdy. You set up an account, find you favorite lakes, and follow them. People who also follow your lake can save waypoints to either share with all, those on your friends list or keep hidden.A lot of different ponds for ice fishing have no lake contour maps "lake irvine", but there are fishermen who have found spots that have found fish. I don't have navionics app so I can't say for certain either way but I can cut and paste coordinates of my google earth places of interest that I have saved for Lake Alice,. If I lose my phone no worries there saved online. Good way to meet people who like to share areas of fish but don't want the whole world to know. Just my experience
http://www.fishidy.com/

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Navionics is pretty dang nice for 10 bucks

- - - Updated - - -

And yes as said above. Select area and download ahead of time so you can use without cell reception but with gps. Works great

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just downloaded the navionics app and checked some lakes i'm pretty familiar with and noticed it isn't the most accurate. Lake Audobon for instance left a lot to be desired. As in islands that are not marked. I noticed this on other lakes I checked as well.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this normal for phone apps. I guess I was expecting something a little more accurate. Is it possible to get an NDTrax app?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this normal for phone apps. I guess I was expecting something a little more accurate. Is it possible to get an NDTrax app?

Umm I don't ever fish Audubon but I just looked at on my navionics map and it looks really damn good to me. If that doesn't give an idea over roughly 100 places to fish I dont know what will. Note: screenshot is not fully zoomed in so there is ALOT more detail to be shown.
Screenshot_2015-10-18-23-10-27.jpg

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Granted there are definately places to fish on the shot you are showing but if there are islands not marked on the map it isn't gonna do you much good when your lower unit is laying on the bottom of the lake. I'm just saying. I appreciate all replies and not trying to be a smart ass it just seems like this app may not be something to rely on for navigation purposes. I have a handheld gps with the ndtrax that I havn't updated in 7or8 years that has better info this this. Was hoping I could get by with my phone but may have stick with the ole tried and true.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have navionics as well and like it. Don't trust it for depths as far a navigation goes in my areas for the most part because it's usually wrong but looking for areas that might be good to start fishing it works just fine. I'm not so sure there is a good substitute for takin' it easy in areas you have never been.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good morning Sum1
So I was thinking about what you said about your OLD nd Trax in your hand held and came to a conclusion that most likely it probably has lower elevation data when the lake was lower, I am just guessing. So my advice would be to bring out old tried and true for one last outing and when you get to your sunken island and mark with some sort of way pt to verify it's location on your phone. I hope this helps

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 41
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14