Another winter storm

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Summer of 2004 was very cold. There was a nearly state wide killing frost on August 20.
I remember that. Mallard hunting was unreal that fall with all of the crops that got disked under, they just wouldn't leave. Probably was 'baiting' technically but we were too young at the time to know that.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Galwhoshovels and I were up on the roof for 4 1/2 hours yesterday.

Removed 2-3 ft of heavy granular bizzaro snow for nearly the entire home/garage.

Then we had to snowblow a bunch of areas where it fell in order to get it away from the house/egresses. Aaaand we all know how "avalanche" snow that falls from a height tends to set up like frosting. 😖

Thank God for rum.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Removed 2-3 ft of heavy granular bizzaro snow for nearly the entire home/garage.

Then we had to snowblow a bunch of areas where it fell in order to get it away from the house/egresses. Aaaand we all know how "avalanche" snow that falls from a height tends to set up like frosting. 😖

Thank God for rum.
We lifted a snow blower up on the quonset and blew about 18-20 inches off the rest of it Saturday. Wouldn't have wanted to shovel all of that shit!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member

Thank God for rum.
That snow from the roof settles like concrete if you give it a day or so. :oops:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the absolute pinnacle of roof shovels by the way - if you tilt it correctly you can sled the snow down the roof and "shoot" it off the eave by momentum. No way we could have accomplished our task with any other kind of shovel in the amount of time we had. It's uncanny how, with some practice/technique, you can clear large areas quickly without effing up a single shingle.

This shovel seems absolutely worthless for anything else BTW. :LOL:

1680529986569.png

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the absolute pinnacle of roof shovels by the way - if you tilt it correctly you can sled the snow down the roof and "shoot" it off the eave by momentum. No way we could have accomplished our task with any other kind of shovel in the amount of time we had. It's uncanny how, with some practice/technique, you can clear large areas quickly without effing up a single shingle.

1680529986569.png
Turn it backwards, step inside the handle, use copious bungee straps and you could sled a deer out of somewhere......

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member

1680529986569.png
i agree with that my wife can actually move snow with one.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member

Thank God for rum.
And bourbon, and vodka, and scotch…..

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
We lifted a snow blower up on the quonset and blew about 18-20 inches off the rest of it Saturday. Wouldn't have wanted to shovel all of that shit!
Must have been a bit unnerving up there with the extra weight of the blower, person running it, plus the vibration of the machine, knowing part of it had already collapsed earlier. I feel for all you guys going through this. But most of us that have been around long enough have had our share of these roof moments. Fortunately I only had to rake some off of one spot this year. Stay safe all, and stay off the roads if at all possible. Sounds like it is gonna be a doozy in some places.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I think I’ll finally be installing heat strips Been putting it off for years

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
According to most forecasts I'am about dead center. Wife already has her war bags packed for an extended stay in Fargo for work while me and the dogs get stranded at the farm. Going to town to pick up meds and food stuff today. Stay safe people cause it will melt and go away. LB

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to get the generator working tonight (just a 2000 watt, which isn't enough for the hole house, but at least keeps the fridge cold and will also power a heater and internet).

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be in the 60's by Saturday here in the western edge, should get that snow gone in no time

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be in the 60's by Saturday here in the western edge, should get that snow gone in no time
Yep, it sure looks like we will be entering an extended period with temps well into the snow melting range. It's going to be a very sloppy mess in places.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5