Are high dollar lures worth it?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I was having a conversation with a fellow fisherman, and we got on the topic of high cost lures vs "cheap" lures, and if there is really much difference, other than the increased cost for the marketing of said lures. For me, I look for certain features, for instance, for jigs I like a good wire keeper, if I am pitching plastics. For live bait I am less fussy. For cranks, I mostly run flicker shads and flicker minnows as they have done the job for me. I could go on and on about what I like and why, but is it worth it to pay up for the costly lures out there, or, on the flip side, are there some low dollar lures that have worked well for you?

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still use a bunch of plain old lead jigs and do fine.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hungry fish don't care how much the lure costs. If the fish are active, they will hit a spark plug with the spark arm crushed down and a split ring added with a treble hook on it. I won a steak dinner by catching a limit of walleyes vertical jigging this exact setup. Most lures are there to catch fishermen, not fish. JMHO though.

Victory

Damn right they’re worth it. Go try some google eye jigs and tell me they aren’t worth the price tag.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
where der are snags i will run flickers vs rapala or salmo. Flickers generally do the job -I money was no object i would try each and see which one gets the most bites and throw them out.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to wad up a chicken liver wrapped in a piece of pantyhose's with a plain hook holding it all together, then pitch it into the mighty red river, and catch the hell out 20+ lbs. cats all night long.

Nothing fancy about that. and ended the night pretty hammered and dirty...

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have caught more fish with a plain #11 original floating rap, than any other, but then again, that's what I use a lot.

Countdown raps work well. Taildancers work well. Husky Jerks and Huskies work well. Shallow Shad Raps work well. X-raps, Shadow Rap Shads both work well.

I have some Yozuri's that seem to work, but don't use them much. Some Rebels work, for relatively cheap lures. I've caught a few fish on Bombers, Bagleys, and Cotton Cordells.

I have never owned a crank that cost over $10. I just can't bring myself to risk losing it.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The amount of $8-$14 lures that I paint tells me a lot of people believe in a color on a certain lure. Like Vollmer stated, there's certain situations where I opt for the better/more expensive lure rather than a bargain bin lure. The knock off jig raps are one that I won't sell or tie on. I also don't paint/sell/use any knock off's unless its a dead ringer or unproven design. Sometimes its just nice to see if they'll actually work. With that said, I didn't have enough room in a 620 for all my tackle trays.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The amount of $8-$14 lures that I paint tells me a lot of people believe in a color on a certain lure. Like Vollmer stated, there's certain situations where I opt for the better/more expensive lure rather than a bargain bin lure. The knock off jig raps are one that I won't sell or tie on. I also don't paint/sell/use any knock off's unless its a dead ringer or unproven design. Sometimes its just nice to see if they'll actually work. With that said, I didn't have enough room in a 620 for all my tackle trays.

The test is how many colors does Heddon make the "Spook" in. If you know that without looking it it up - thats when you have to many tubs of lures. Happy October is coming fast.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of tournaments won on Devils Lake with a plain hook, a leech, and a bobber. It doesn't have to be an expensive lure to catch the fish, but it sure does impress your buddies when you pull that Plano box out and it looks all pretty!

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing if you are asking this you don't fish Muskie, that is sticker shock when you start into that fishing and looking at lures. there is nothing cheap in that game

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing if you are asking this you don't fish Muskie, that is sticker shock when you start into that fishing and looking at lures. there is nothing cheap in that game
I am Suick correct that i am sick over suick prices!!!!!

You guys imo got hit the worst.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Jigging Raps I will pay for. I have had very little luck with the imitation stuff. Even the Shiver Minnow, which has a good reputation, I struggle to find success with. I have had some good days with the Hyper Rattle, though, but man are those spendy.

I keep wanting to try the "Scheels" cranks, as they are cheap, and they look similar to the flicker cranks, but have not heard anything (good or bad) about them.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of tournaments won on Devils Lake with a plain hook, a leech, and a bobber. It doesn't have to be an expensive lure to catch the fish, but it sure does impress your buddies when you pull that Plano box out and it looks all pretty!
Lots of tournaments won on devils lake with cranks and jig raps as well. With that said, I have a slip bobber box in the boat as well. Lures are only as good as the angler's ability to put them in the right spot.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I got back into fishing about 8 years ago I tried a lot of budget lures. When it comes to crank baits, I'm a believer that the cheapest is far from the best. I've outfished the cheaper ones 5-1 with a flickershad or flickerminnow.

I also caught my PB walleye thanks to a DH Custom Bait'd Rippin' Rap in Snooty.

I did pick up some walleye nations creations cranks this year.... never triggered a bite on a single one of them so I also see how it can go both ways.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76