Bait Question?

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was going to Devil's to do some Pike fishing a couple weeks ago. Found some nice sized frozen smelt for bait. They were
about $1 a piece.

So I thought why not buy some big suckers in Minnesota and freeze them and use them for bait for about half the price of the smelt.

They worked just as good as the smelt.

Then I was told that this is illegal. I can't find anything in the regulations pertaining to dead bait, so I disagree.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was using them in North Dakota. The way I read it is transporting live suckers into North Dakota would be illegal.
Other than that I can't find any regulation against using frozen suckers in North Dakot

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had local discussions with the local game warden, he stated that as long as the illegal bait can not reproduce (dead) it can be used for bait. Best bait for northerns are creek chubs from the turtle river by grand forks.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member

http://gf.nd.gov/fishing/fishing-regulations-guide

Prepared baitfish
include any nongame fish (including legal live baitfish) which have been preserved by freezing, salting or otherwise treated to inactivate reproductive products. Prepared baitfish are legal bait. Nongame fish (including legal live baitfish), which have been reduced to sections, pieces or parts thereof are considered cut fish and are legal.
Yellow perch eyes, and trout and salmon eggs are legal bait. The use of other game fish or parts thereof is illegal.

If I read that correctly, chubs can be used as long as they are "treated"

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

http://gf.nd.gov/fishing/fishing-regulations-guide

Prepared baitfish
include any nongame fish (including legal live baitfish) which have been preserved by freezing, salting or otherwise treated to inactivate reproductive products. Prepared baitfish are legal bait. Nongame fish (including legal live baitfish), which have been reduced to sections, pieces or parts thereof are considered cut fish and are legal.
Yellow perch eyes, and trout and salmon eggs are legal bait. The use of other game fish or parts thereof is illegal.

If I read that correctly,
chubs can be used as long as they are "treated"
creek chugs are legal bait fish in devils lake, rainbow chubs are not legal unless they are preserved frozen

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry he was talking about suckers.

Legal live baitfish are fathead minnows, creek chubs, sticklebacks and white sucker (Red and Bois de Sioux rivers only).

But processed, they should be legal.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry he was talking about suckers.

Legal live baitfish are fathead minnows, creek chubs, sticklebacks and white sucker (Red and Bois de Sioux rivers only).

But processed, they should be legal.
all good, sportsman helping sportsman :;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84