Baltimore bridge collapse

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe i am not looking at it from the right angle. But when i go under the bridgest I make sure my craft is straight lined up between the pillars. I never go through at an angle.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is one of the few times I'm 100% OK with "Putting it on the Credit Card". Get the project planned and built as quickly as is safely possible. Don't be penny-wise/pound-stupid about it either, look @ future needs and build in upgrades right now. It's less expensive in the long run. I also have little doubt that some regulating agency will at some point hold the ship owners/bond/ins Co financially accountable for everything they can, but, you can't spend 10+yrs in court before you fix the bridge.

I see multiple sea-ports spread out along the coasts being as important as multiple military bases spread out all over the nation. Losing a sea-port means the others become a bigger target for terrorism and the others also get busier giving them less time to inspect what's coming in.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worse has happened in the past - and there are measures one can take to prevent this.
1711720757017.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2024/03/26/baltimore-stpete-sunshine-skyway-bridge/

https://abc7ny.com/infastructure-bridge-collapse-baltimore-cargo-ship/14583540/

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am still putting in 8 hours a week. $25 per hour to show up and watch TV. My boss would be ecstatic if I would put in more hours. But no at almost 72 I have to keep entertained by reading the political comments on Nodak Angler.

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
Alla ka boom Why did they steer right into the bridge support??????

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many 948 ft boats do you have experience piloting?
Same procedure. Regardless how big or littlr
I have been on biggger ships then that. Hear that door open to let the local pilot . They steer though shit that looks like sakakwea low water. Look at your phone navionics and they avoid as many turns as posdible and at same time avoid the humps

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wonder if FJB is having all his bung holer friends over for Easter Chocolate Turds

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same procedure. Regardless how big or littlr
I have been on biggger ships then that. Hear that door open to let the local pilot . They steer though shit that looks like sakakwea low water. Look at your phone navionics and they avoid as many turns as posdible and at same time avoid the humps
No it’s not. That’s like saying driving a semi with doubles pulling 50 ton is the same as driving your Prius . Add to the fact it wasn’t just a simple day of navigating……..

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gone under the 4 Bears Bridge, Highway 12 Bridge, and Singing Bridge hundreds of times as captain of my walleye boat. And I've avoided those pillars every time. Not sure how those idiots can hit a bridge! Lol, that was a joke. It’s just a different world with big ships but I love the commentary from us little captains here in the Dakotas. I am confident they did what they could. Will be interesting to hear what actually went wrong on the ship.

I heard something on the news the other night that it was the equivalent mass of stopping a several mile long loaded freight train. Unfortunately, crap happens.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Simple Physics Mass in motion tends to stay in motion. I think that is what I learned in high school , but that was a long time ago. Might have changed now.. LB

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Comparing any walleye boat to that ship is akin to me playing flag football and thinking it’s the same as nfl

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
No it’s not. That’s like saying driving a semi with doubles pulling 50 ton is the same as driving your Prius . Add to the fact it wasn’t just a simple day of navigating……..
No shit Kurt.
Come Kurt we all master our ships in some shape or form ---you automatically think i am not talking oahe and taking my boat under the bridge oh boy come on. Take a 35mph wind out of the more west than north come up to DL hwy 57 bridge and you have two boats fishing under the bridge couple more on the other side jigging plus shore fishers yes better have your rig line up correctly as (reverse is not an option) and shit together or get ready to get yelled at.

I can point to my scratches dents on my boat (i only have a few) and remember excactly how i fd up.

Was the ship directly on the shipping lane before he lost pwr? Maybe he was - i havent seen shit about that. If so imo its to close to the pillar.

It will come out in the lawsuit

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93