Basswood (linden) tree bug ?

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have an infestation of bugs that are eating my tree leaves. Probably 5-10% of the tree leaves are denuded. Any help? I googled a little but couldn't find MY bug. HA

Here is a picture of what they look like? (assuming a breeding pair stacked up on each other)

Thanks!

basswood bug.JPG

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look like Japanese Beetles to me. Family Scarabaeidae. Even if those aren't Japanese Beetles, the same control measures will work on whatever scarab beetle it is.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Head to your nearest farm/garden store,get a two or three jap beetle traps,they work great,i'm told spray will not work unles direct contact with insect,in my area they treat the soft soil in fall like your garden as they buroow down to lay eggs.

These traps use a sex hormone thet draws these little bastards by the 100's,once they fall into the trap they can't get out,just need to empty the trap daily,we're on week two and finally seeing the end game.

Last edited:

garden

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where are you located? In the Minot area we had a small outbreak last year due to contaminated nursery stock from a MN wholesaler. None so far this year. Would like to know if they are close to NW ND. Thanks!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Head to your nearest farm/garden store,get a two or three jap beetle traps,they work great,i'm told spray will not work unles direct contact with insect,in my area they treat the soft soil in fall like your garden as they buroow down to lay eggs.

These traps use a sex hormone thet draws these little bastards by the 100's,once they fall into the trap they can't get out,just need to empty the trap daily,we're on week two and finally seeing the end game.

seems risky using an attractant that pulls them in for miles, 24/7? you sure you're not just helping to lower your neighbor's population? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

also - God these sound horrible - not sure I've seen one

keeping my fingers crossed!!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are a scourge to deal with, make no mistake. If you find them, ATTACK'EM like they are trying to take your children......cuz they just might. If you let these get established, it's a real BITCH to get rid of'em.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for all the info guys.
I talked with 2 different Ag guys that do that work for a living.
Both said to NOT use the beetle traps as you will attract beetles by the THOUSANDS to your property.

So far I am spraying with a mixture of dawn dish soap, canola oil and water.
Also setting up a couple of spare sheets on the ground and then shaking the trees (early morning and evening) Grabbing the beetles that have dropped and placing them in a pail of soapy water.

I don't wish these bugs on anyone.

beetles.jpg
This is the first year we have had them. And the first I saw any was a couple of days ago. One day "there was nothing" the next day there were hundreds swarming around my basswood trees. I live in a sub division. I have 2 different neighbors in sight that also have basswood trees. I inspected their trees and they have NONE. why me? HA HA

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting find maddog,I'm down to one trap this week,they have migrated elsewhere or died,like maddog I empty the traps in a bucket of soapy water.

With that said my neighbor has quite the trapline set,has a row of 6 traps along his rasberries and another 6 along the treeline out back,they seem to like birch and elm leaves.

So maybe thats the fix,buy traps for your neighbors,tell them the area in infested with these beetles,let them put the traps out~to keep your yard bettle free.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Interesting find maddog,I'm down to one trap this week,they have migrated elsewhere or died,like maddog I empty the traps in a bucket of soapy water.

With that said my neighbor has quite the trapline set,has a row of 6 traps along his rasberries and another 6 along the treeline out back,they seem to like birch and elm leaves.

So maybe thats the fix,buy traps for your neighbors,tell them the area in infested with these beetles,let them put the traps out~to keep your yard bettle free.

Perhaps you aren't seeing many as their bellies are full and they are on to the next stage of their life, laying eggs in your ground.

><>>

I get about 30 or so each tree shake now. I have thrown out the white flag thinking I am not going to win this battle.
But I still will get my licks in. I am a stubborn bastage.

We have friends that have been fighting them for 5 years. This year they only picked 4-5 total.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 19