Bis to lose boat ramp

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the response. I have never used a ramp in Bismarck so it doesn't affect me. I read the news and pay pretty close attention to things or so I thought. I'm not the only one that didn't hear anything until it was too late! That's what passes people off!!
This is how it's always been done to fleece the people..only way to control it is defund absolutely everything. When there us a half cent tax for this or that..vote no!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would agree with all of the above. Communication wasn't ideal. Personally, I think part of the issue is that this just isn't what either side is used to in terms of communication. The hunting/angling community isn't accustomed to looking for this stuff in city government, and the city government side isn't used to communicating with the hunting/angling crowd, in fact we're probably a minority of their constituents. In my opinion, that can lead to some gaps in communication. Just my 2 pennies.

I can't answer that. My involvement in these discussions only pertained to the boat ramp. My initial conversations were trying to get this project relocated to a different area. Like was discussed in the meeting, there really isn't another place they could put this type of project. So, then my goals shifted to trying to get something out of this for anglers.
?? I thinks that's pretty kind to say there were "gaps in communication " . I'd say say it was INTENTIONAL! These leaders had to know they were blindsiding the angling community!!

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
?? I thinks that's pretty kind to say there were "gaps in communication " . I'd say say it was INTENTIONAL! These leaders had to know they were blindsiding the angling community!!
Agreed! But as he stated..small amount of the constituents...another words we don't give a ahit what you say or think. I have said this over and over we jeep voting these people in. Fuderchuck is going to win..a rhino and we will bitch about it 10 years from now about the mess that was created. Same as local elections..look at the burliegh county commissions.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally hope that the locals sue to get this delayed and if the i assume the non profit group falf waist even more time in money. The facts here prove that transparency was never meant to be on the committee in charge top agenda. Sure the Bismarck high archy are all for having a swanky spot for the elite to rub elbows and greasing palms for more back door deals where more state tax payers funds used for pet projects which is the last thing the people in the state want to spend money that they feel deserves to used for all state residents not just the elite buercratics of those who are in realm of the know who party. This should have been put up for public discussion and that the democratic rino npl groups made sure that wasn't the case. People need to be held accountable for the lack of transparency especially during a time when our national economy is on a tipping point.

BrockW

Let’s hear about your wins for the average outdoorsman in ND.
Just a quick review of some things that come to mind.

For 2023 we had 4 wins in the legislature. Listen to us discuss them here.
https://www.backcountryhunters.org/north_dakota_bha_podcast_episode_2

In the previous sessions, we fought off 2 bills, one to transfer Army Corps land that are currently WMAs and one to continue funding for the section lawsuits out in the badlands.

We've also participated in and submitted comment to the multiple BLM/USFS resource management plans and plan revisions.

In 2023, we opened up a few thousand acres of Trust lands that were previously closed.
1718126602232.jpeg

We've also done numerous Non-motorized signage projects, campground renovations, OHV signage, a USFS fencing project, and just this last weekend we inventoried around 50 miles of fence on the Big Gumbo BLM chunk down in SW ND. We will be going back down there to remove/modify several miles of fencing this year (Weather and schedules permitting).

This year we successfully advocated to keep a number of Grand Forks county water board land open to public hunting.
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sp...-board-faces-decision-on-public-hunting-lands

And what’s the purpose of your org being so prominently portrayed in this particular issue/meeting?
Because we are directly responsibly for getting that meeting.

Last edited:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I personally hope that the locals sue to get this delayed and if the i assume the non profit group falf waist even more time in money. The facts here prove that transparency was never meant to be on the committee in charge top agenda. Sure the Bismarck high archy are all for having a swanky spot for the elite to rub elbows and greasing palms for more back door deals where more state tax payers funds used for pet projects which is the last thing the people in the state want to spend money that they feel deserves to used for all state residents not just the elite buercratics of those who are in realm of the know who party. This should have been put up for public discussion and that the democratic rino npl groups made sure that wasn't the case. People need to be held accountable for the lack of transparency especially during a time when our national economy is on a tipping point.
To sue costs money..so they take our tax money and spend it now pay to sue...sounds like getting double shafted. I get it but the only way to put an end to this is elect people that are for the people

BrockW

I'd say say it was INTENTIONAL! These leaders had to know they were blindsiding the angling community!!
That is not my interpretation of any of these discussions. In fact, I think attitudes like this do more harm than good.
Agreed! But as he stated..small amount of the constituents...another words we don't give a ahit what you say or think. I have said this over and over we jeep voting these people in. Fuderchuck is going to win..a rhino and we will bitch about it 10 years from now about the mess that was created. Same as local elections..look at the burliegh county commissions.
See above...

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just a quick review of some things that come to mind.

For 2023 we had 4 wins in the legislature. Listen to us discuss them here.
https://www.backcountryhunters.org/north_dakota_bha_podcast_episode_2

In the previous sessions, we fought off 2 bills, one to transfer Army Corps land that are currently WMAs and one to continue funding for the section lawsuits out in the badlands.

We've also participated in and submitted comment to the multiple BLM/USFS resource management plans and plan revisions.

In 2023, we opened up a few thousand acres of Trust lands that were previously closed.
1718126602232.jpeg

We've also done numerous Non-motorized signage projects, campground renovations, OHV signage, a USFS fencing project, and we just finished inventorying around 50 miles of fence on the Big Gumbo BLM chunk down in SW ND. We will be going back down there to remove/modify several miles of fencing this year.

This year we successfully advocated to keep a number of Grand Forks county water board land open to public hunting.

Because we are directly responsibly for getting that meeting.
How much tax payor money ey are you trying to get/ rexieve how much mo ey will you personally make from all this?

BrockW

How much tax payor money ey are you trying to get/ rexieve how much mo ey will you personally make from all this?
I'm 100% a volunteer. I have not made a single penny from any BHA project, event, effort, policy,etc. That includes this project.

I don't have a request amount for the legislature yet. It will depend on what I can come up with for funding from other stakeholders and what the project will cost. But it is unlikely the sovereign lands grant money will come to North Dakota BHA, and instead it will likely be directed to the Burleigh County and Bismarck Parks and rec, since they are the owners/managers of the 2 boat ramps we seek to improve/expand.

My role in this is to gather public support and funding to move these projects forward. My goal is to do it without a single increase to taxpayers.

Last edited:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That is not my interpretation of any of these discussions. In fact, I think attitudes like this do more harm than good.

See above...
Not your interpretation. More like you dont want to hear the reality of pissed off people..head in the sand feels good and warm.
I'm 100% a volunteer. I have not made a single penny from any BHA project, event, effort, policy,etc. That includes this project.

I don't have a request amount for the legislature yet. It will depend on what I can come up with for funding from other stakeholders and what the project will cost. But it is unlikely the sovereign lands grant money will come to North Dakota BHA, and instead it will likely be directed to the Burleigh County and Bismarck Parks and rec, since they are the owners/managers of the 2 boat ramps we seek to improve/expand.

My role in this is to gather public support and funding to move these projects forward. My goal is to do it without a single increase to tax payors.
Lol this is funny shit..if you think for a second people on this website don't think you get some sort of compensation for all this you are sorely mistaken. You may not get dollars sent to your bank account but you are getting something out of this or you would not be doing it. Next crooked politician in the making?

To add I am not just against you I am against both sides..you people think that you have these grand ideas and can't leave well enough alone. You and the other side wreck more shit then creating good...just my 2 cents

BrockW

Not your interpretation. More like you dont want to hear the reality of pissed off people..head in the sand feels good and warm.

Lol this is funny shit..if you think for a second people on this website don't think you get some sort of compensation for all this you are sorely mistaken. You may not get dollars sent to your bank account but you are getting something out of this or you would not be doing it. Next crooked politician in the making?
I'm sorry you feel that way.

What will NDBHA get out of this?

We'll get lemonade where there was previously lemons. If successful, we'll get 2 improved boating access sites with additional capacity and additional ramps. Something Bismarck needs, especially with the loss of the Grant Marsh ramp.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Correct, these are long shots to happen and unlikely to happen anytime in the near future, if at all. The hotel is the most unlikely.

Mandan is still waiting for some final approvals but my understanding is that this project has a 99% chance of happening and the goal is to start construction in 2024, but it may be 2025.
This is what I just cant grasp and I'm hearing the same thing from people somewhat in the know. If none of the other development is going to happen they are literally just getting rid of a boat ramp to build a park? So a multi million dollar land giveaway and a few more million in other grants to get rid of a ramp and make a park? Something really stinks here.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm sorry you feel that way.

What will NDBHA get out of this?

We'll get lemonade where there was previously lemons. If successful, we'll get 2 improved boating access sites with additional capacity and additional ramps. Something Bismarck needs, especially with the loss of the Grant Marsh ramp.
"I am sorry you feel that way" is usually a passive aggressive statement made by a narcissistic person that has no understanding of the people they are talking to.

FYI there are some very educated people you are talking to on this website..very educated and very uneducated from all walks of life..most are very smart people and know when something stinks no matter how you or anybody want to twist it.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member

My role in this is to gather public support and funding to move these projects forward. My goal is to do it without a single increase to tax payors.
Fyi..to get funding with zero tax increase means you are going to push for a half cent that's already in there..mo ey doesn't grow on trees...tax payor will pay for your pet project

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would agree with all of the above. Communication wasn't ideal. Personally, I think part of the issue is that this just isn't what either side is used to in terms of communication. The hunting/angling community isn't accustomed to looking for this stuff in city government, and the city government side isn't used to communicating with the hunting/angling crowd, in fact we're probably a minority of their constituents. In my opinion, that can lead to some gaps in communication. Just my 2 pennies.

I can't answer that. My involvement in these discussions only pertained to the boat ramp. My initial conversations were trying to get this project relocated to a different area. Like was discussed in the meeting, there really isn't another place they could put this type of project. So, then my goals shifted to trying to get something out of this for anglers.

I would disagree with this. Directly NW of Dakota Zoo and out by the city's under-the-river water intake would be better suited since it's a blank canvas. All you need to do is dredge to form an off-river channel/beach and use that material to raise the grade to build a parking lot. All the other stuff like utilities would have to be brought in, but it could be a larger rendition of what they envision.

This is where I would have thought to be a better place, but sounds like spilt milk and a lack of critical thinking on good old Fort Lincoln jackwads.

1718129516086.png

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would disagree with this. Directly NW of Dakota Zoo and out by the city's under-the-river water intake would be better suited since it's a blank canvas. All you need to do is dredge to form an off-river channel/beach and use that material to raise the grade to build a parking lot. All the other stuff like utilities would have to be brought in, but it could be a larger rendition of what they envision.

This is where I would have thought to be a better place, but sounds like spilt milk and a lack of critical thinking on good old Fort Lincoln jackwads.

1718129516086.png
Who pays for this? Agree it's a better spot though..

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

1718129516086.png
The more and more this plays out it really seems like the actual only goal of this entire thing was to get rid of the ramp and make their own little sanctuary on the riverfront paid for by taxpayers. They advertised a flashy development to get people on board and made the ramp removal step one of a larger project they knew wouldn't come to fruition. The ole bait and switch.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe it'll end up like the parking lot to the south where all the sketchy people hang out.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who pays for this? Agree it's a better spot though..
I would think the same funding sources they planned on using for the existing plan.

FALF may be a non-profit, but they aren't without resources. Someone, somewhere, had to somehow justify FALF's involvement. I've got to imagine it was done using a "this will boost revenue by X amount" approach.

I mean, I get it...I've been to communities that have done great things similar to this along their waterfront. Hudson, WI...Havasu City, AZ are just a couple that come to mind. But that doesn't mean I like the way this was handled in the slightest.

FWIW though, I don't agree with straight up accusing BrockW or anyone else of doing this simply for their own financial enrichment. Some people feel enriched simply by volunteering their time and effort for causes they believe in.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saying that communication was clear and people were invited in 2018 to comment is completely disingenuous. They did what they always do, keep this behind closed doors until its too late to stop and then ask for comment. Its BS.

The renderings are ridiculous. Outdoor concerts with an interstate overhead? I mean comeon. And where are people going to park? Stairs down the cliff face? Wait until it needs to be ADA accessible with escalators. Then a flood...

It just keeps getting dumber. Not to mention this isnt a tic for tac project. They HOPE the other ramp gets built to shut people up and if it doesn't? Who cares. F(*& the fisherman and river recreationalists.

This is highly utilized public property and maintaining that should have been priority #1.

Displacing all current users for a hair brain idea that was ram rodded through behind closes doors is infuriating.

What is the net gain in individual use for this property? (many displaced for a few)
How will the city of Bismarck budget benefit from this when everything is considered?
And where the hell is game and fish on this?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 154
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 52