Blackout?

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not so sure about losing natural gas. It’s pumped with natural gas compressor engines. My only concern would be the computers that control all the safety devices, monitoring systems etc. but they will have generators to run that stuff too.
This isn't always the case... In an attempt to improve GHG emissions, many facilities are going to electric drive compression. Given that many of the big producers out there have net zero GHG goals for the future, this will become the norm. The facility that I work at is all electric driven compression and has 2 back up generators that run weekly for 15 or 20 minutes. One is for the admin building and 1 is for the plant emergency systems.

Some producers are taking it to the point of shutting wells down if a midstream company has an upset at a compressor station and isn't able to take the gas from the wells.

ETA: Our backup Generators are diesel powered.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This isn't always the case... In an attempt to improve GHG emissions, many facilities are going to electric drive compression. Given that many of the big producers out there have net zero GHG goals for the future, this will become the norm. The facility that I work at is all electric driven compression and has 2 back up generators that run weekly for 15 or 20 minutes. One is for the admin building and 1 is for the plant emergency systems.

Some producers are taking it to the point of shutting wells down if a midstream company has an upset at a compressor station and isn't able to take the gas from the wells.

ETA: Our backup Generators are diesel powered.
They’re forced to shut up in wells because they can’t stay under their flaring allowance if they don’t. Especially with all the drilling now. Lots of new wells having to flare some of their gas due to having a shortage of capacity in the nearby gas plants of pipeline capacity issues in the field.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would only go with Propane. Been in the industry for half of my life. It lasts forever. The stench might fade over years but the product is good. Thinking about adding a1000 aal tank to my 500. Kicked myself for not installing a propane powered Generac years ago when I built my shop. Currently have a 7500 Harbor freight job. It’s OK for running the air conditioning/heater and refrigerators but don’t expect to run water at the same time from a well pump.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those that are concerned that the electricity might fail. Trust NOT in men to take care or your family. Other men will let your family die as they are not affected by your families demise. It says in scriptures: Jerimiah 17 5-9 Thus sayeth the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord. For he shall be like the heath in the desert, an shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the partched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited. Lest is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is. For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit. The heart is deceitful above all things. and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Meaning, if you want to trust in another man to take care of your family (provide electricity, food, water, etc, etc, etc.) instead of trusting in Heavenly Father, you are on your own.

I trust no man. I am the head of my house and for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve watched a few Rambo movies. If there is ever a blackout I’ll grab my survival knife and head to the woods and start a fire with some of the matches in the handle.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
They’re forced to shut up in wells because they can’t stay under their flaring allowance if they don’t. Especially with all the drilling now. Lots of new wells having to flare some of their gas due to having a shortage of capacity in the nearby gas plants of pipeline capacity issues in the field.

Yes they do have Flaring allowances they are required to follow, but many companies are starting to tie employee bonuses to reductions in GHG emissions, not just reduced flaring. The company I work for has been doing this now for about 3 years. We have a target we need to meet. If we meet that target we get a bigger bonus, if not, we get a smaller bonus.

This isn't just driven from flared gas either. It involves all aspects of GHG emissions from flared gas to the gas composition of the fuel gas we make for our heaters. If that fuel gas is too high in btu's it makes more GHG which counts agains us in our total emissions.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would only go with Propane. Been in the industry for half of my life. It lasts forever. The stench might fade over years but the product is good. Thinking about adding a1000 aal tank to my 500. Kicked myself for not installing a propane powered Generac years ago when I built my shop. Currently have a 7500 Harbor freight job. It’s OK for running the air conditioning/heater and refrigerators but don’t expect to run water at the same time from a well pump.
Hank Hill has entered the chat.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say be careful with Generac, their service and support is the worst in the industry from what I have heard. Briggs and Stratton is the way I would go

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say be careful with Generac, their service and support is the worst in the industry from what I have heard. Briggs and Stratton is the way I would go
Have never had a need to contact them. I've replaced an oil pressure sensor, plugs, oil and filters. Have had our Generac for at least 10 years now. Has been one of the most reliable things I've ever bought.

Wallykiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was in the market for a whole house generator, I would take a long look at the Cummins. Generac’s air intake design has been known to collect snow during snowstorms and not start when needed.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes they do have Flaring allowances they are required to follow, but many companies are starting to tie employee bonuses to reductions in GHG emissions, not just reduced flaring. The company I work for has been doing this now for about 3 years. We have a target we need to meet. If we meet that target we get a bigger bonus, if not, we get a smaller bonus.

This isn't just driven from flared gas either. It involves all aspects of GHG emissions from flared gas to the gas composition of the fuel gas we make for our heaters. If that fuel gas is too high in btu's it makes more GHG which counts agains us in our total emissions.
It’s a constantly changing industry for sure.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow that must be one big ass gen. And has to have an automatic transfer switch at that price. You can get an 18kw gen that’ll run probably any house for roughly $6500. Manual transfer switches are cheap but automatic ones can be 3-4k if I recall correctly. I’ve lived just outside of Williston for 20 years and have yet to experience a brown out or any power outage that wasn’t caused by a snow storm. That’s totally weird that they have em

My example is of a recent install in the New Town area. I am guessing there's a location premium to be paid. I don't know the size of the generator, but all it has to power is a double wide mobile home with electric heat.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neither generac or Briggs are what they once were. That being said they’re still decent units

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My example is of a recent install in the New Town area. I am guessing there's a location premium to be paid. I don't know the size of the generator, but all it has to power is a double wide mobile home with electric heat.
They paid the bakken and reservation premium lol. But it’s all just absurd now. I had to have my AC condenser fan replaced, A coiled replaced, furnace blower motor and fan and board replaced. All at once. $4500. Whole system installed used to be that not that many years ago

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flame away on me, but my thoughts drift into if I needed a generator within the city due to catastrophic failure of the power grid (say more than 2 weeks) aren't there going to be plenty of other things a generator isn't going to help? Hard to believe our country not devolving into absolute chaos if we were without electricity for a prolonged period of time.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some day when I have time, I will build one of these and run an 8500w generator off it. A guy could store a whole lot of wood chips in tote bags under a tarp or in a grain bin, to keep them dry and run a generator for months off of them if needed. Hell if a guy wanted you could go buy a ton of heating wood pellets at menards for like $250.... could probably run off that 1 ton of pellets for months on end....

Supposedly there are plans for buiding one of these in a FEMA guide somewhere.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flame away on me, but my thoughts drift into if I needed a generator within the city due to catastrophic failure of the power grid (say more than 2 weeks) aren't there going to be plenty of other things a generator isn't going to help? Hard to believe our country not devolving into absolute chaos if we were without electricity for a prolonged period of time.
We can certainly live without electricity. They did for thousands of years.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea a propane fridge would be a hot commodity with no electricity

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113