Boots - i want good ones

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Danner pronghorns will not be taken as a serious answer ;:;rant I went through 3 pairs in two years due to leaking. Prior to that fiasco i owned the original pronghorns (2003 ish?) and they lasted around 9 years until seams started blowing out, they were great boots and wish i could still find them. I bought a pair of Danner eastridge 2 years ago as they were very comfortable, but alas they too have started leaking (deer hunting last year). I hate having wet feet/boots especially when a guy is hunting out of town, roughing it, extended hunts etc.

I mostly deer hunt western ND / eastern MT, and pheasant hunt in various locations around the state. Would kenetreks be overkill? Also looking at cabelas perfekt hunters by meindl? Ive also given a look at danner elk hunters that they started making again, i know they used to make them for cabelas and were great boots from what ive read, but i have my doubts about danners now..... Any other suggestions not listed?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
5fd0487471a1995b7fa6dcc67ba08b3a.jpg
being from fargo, im sure you already have a pair of these in the closet right next to your sexuality.

I kid, I kid. I'm still using the original pronghorns that are now 13 years old. I don't know what I'll do when they blow out. I've given quite a few moments of thought on just using some keen's or merrel's for warmer weather. I dread the day I have to look for new boots.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg
being from fargo, im sure you already have a pair of these in the closet right next to your sexuality.

I kid, I kid. I'm still using the original pronghorns that are now 13 years old. I don't know what I'll do when they blow out. I've given quite a few moments of thought on just using some keen's or merrel's for warmer weather. I dread the day I have to look for new boots.

yes the original pronghorns were great boots. I miss mine..... sniffle:(

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meindl. I have Kennetrek's too and they are good, but not $100 more/pair good. Couple pards have Lowa's and are pleased as well but I've never owned/worn a set.

I was a "Danner Guy" for about 15yrs, now I have a hard time even recommending their Made in the USA boots as they've really cheapened up the materials.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns that are probably around 7 years old. They started leaking a few years ago and I used some snoseal on them and that seemed to take care of the leaking issue. Might be worth a shot if your seams aren't blown out.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vollmer - somehow i went full ratard and put this under rods&reels category, feel free to move where appropriate.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Cabelas Perfekt hunters by Meindl. I mostly hunt upland game in the fall. They are by far the best boots I have worn. I like that they lace down alot farther on the tongue for easier foot access. I use some leather preservative once a year to keep them watertight. I too, like everybody else, had a few pairs of Danner Pronghorns that fell apart. The Meindls have been awesome so far.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns that are probably around 7 years old. They started leaking a few years ago and I used some snoseal on them and that seemed to take care of the leaking issue. Might be worth a shot if your seams aren't blown out.

I use obenaufs (sp.?) primarily but i have used snoseal when my original pronghorns started to wear out, and it does work but i guess i havent been able to get a few more years of use from using it. lucky duck, boot shopping sucks

- - - Updated - - -

Meindl. I have Kennetrek's too and they are good, but not $100 more/pair good. Couple pards have Lowa's and are pleased as well but I've never owned/worn a set.

I was a "Danner Guy" for about 15yrs, now I have a hard time even recommending their Made in the USA boots as they've really cheapened up the materials.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I have the Cabelas Perfekt hunters by Meindl. I mostly hunt upland game in the fall. They are by far the best boots I have worn. I like that they lace down alot farther on the tongue for easier foot access. I use some leather preservative once a year to keep them watertight. I too, like everybody else, had a few pairs of Danner Pronghorns that fell apart. The Meindls have been awesome so far.

and thanks!

Odin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you looked at the Irish Setter Vaprtrek's?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was undecided.but now I think I will pull the trigger on the cabellas Meindels

WannaBFishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run Crispi and will never go away, takes about half the miles to break in than Kentrek. Have used these boots from early goose hunting in ND to November elk in Montana. They offer great ankle support for side hilling and breath to keep feet dry. Granted they cost some bucks but if you take care of them they will last.

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm very pleased with my Lowas. Went through extreme hiking in Kodiak last year and no blisters or sore feet.

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my pronghorns I got at 60% off last year. They are good boots. :;:muahaha

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm another who will own nothing other than the Meindl from Cabelas. Perfekt Hunter all the way and I have been through many pairs of boots!

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have experience with the Kennetrek and Lowa boots. Both have been good but my preference would be the lowas. I wouldn't say they are overkill for bird hunting either.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
After having a pair of Kenetreks, I am on my 3rd year with a pair of Danner Canadians. I found the Kenetreks to have a pretty narrow base that was prone to rolling if I was on rocky/uneven ground. The Kennetreks soles are great on rough terrain because you don't feel sharp surfaces/rocks, but for sideways/hillside travel... they are not designed for that . Honestly I see them as more of a hiking boot rather than a hunting boot.

Since blowing out my ankle I like having a higher boot. I have nothing but good things to say about the Canadians. I've come to like the wider Danner sole as it is significantly more stable than the Kennetreks for being in the hills/rocks. I also wear them for upland.

After trying many different brands and styles of boots to use for all purpose hunting, my advise is this. Buy the type of boot that fits they type of hunting terrain you will be traversing as well as any medical considerations you may have. Some may need to have two pairs of boots depending on where you hunt.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chippewa Boots.

20121209_C1-1.jpg
20121209_C2-1.jpg
20121209_C3-1.jpg
20121209_C4-1.jpg

I know, You probably dont care what I have to say, but if you want a boot that is made in the USA these boots are for you. Very well made

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77