Cards

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering what all you guys play for card games in your spare time and at holidays... For me and my family it's either smear, pinochle or whist. Pinochle is by far my favorite but whist can be an intense, mind bending game in my opinion. My in-laws are from Minnesota and it's strictly smear where they're from with the occasional game of eucher (Yuker). Very few people over there have even heard of pinochle. I've hunted in a few Canadian provinces and cribbage seems to be a staple up there. I'm under the age of 30 and very few of my friends know how to play even one or two of these games, which is sad in my opinion cause it seems to be a dying pastime.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to play poker a lot 3,5 and 7 card , There are so many games I can't even remember them all. Usually two bit limit but even at that some of those 3 card match pot games were good for some giggles. Also used to play smear but it wasn't exciting enough for me after playing poker. All my buddies got busy raising babies so the games are few and far between now. Once in a while I sit down to a game of Spades with GST to take up the slack, That is always entertaining for a while.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cribbage, I enjoy that game immensely. Need to nab a board for the camper next summer.

Takes me 20-30 min playing to remember how to play pinochle.

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
We play rummy mostly. Always wanted to learn to play pinochle but can ever get anyone to teach us

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Euchre, bid euchre and first card game I learned, cribbage. First time I got to go deer hunting with dad, grandpa and uncle we played cribbage; my grandpa was a master at that game. Would like to learn pinochle

When my dad and uncle flew in last year to ice fish with us at Devils, we taught my 8 year old son how to play cribbage.

Last edited:

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pinochle (varying numbers of hands), speed was always fun growing up, and spoons can be a riotous game if played in the right setting.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to play alot of pinochle. Now that I have kids that turned to uno. Kids love to play dice games also.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to play a lot of pinochle, some hearts and a little bit of poker.

We got a Crokinole board game for Christmas two years ago and that is all we play now. Something like table shuffle board or maybe even a bit of table curling if you will.

Check it out. Plan on building some of the boards in the near future.

http://www.crokinole.com/rules.asp

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Norwegian Rummy."

Use multiple decks - for 4 players use 2 decks and for 5 or 6 players use 3 decks including Jokers.

Deal 11 cards to each player. The object of the game is to lay down (meld) all of your cards on the table. The first player in each hand to do so wins.

1st hand: in order to go down you need to lay down 2 sets (a set is 3 of a kind minimum) and you can only lay down 2 sets (but they can be more than 3 of a kind, they can be 4, 5, or 6 of a kind.) To go out (lay down all of your cards) you need to lay down the rest of your cards on your sets or on other players sets after they have laid down. This holds for the entire game until the last hand. I say this because on the last hand the player that lays down has to have no discard and the hand is over. No one else gets the opportunity to play when the winner lays down and goes out. He (or she) is usually the winner.

2nd hand: lay down one set and one run (a run is a 4 {or more} card straight flush.) Again to win the hand you need to lay the rest of your cards down on your or the other players melds.

3rd hand: lay down 2 runs - everything else is the same.

4th hand: lay down 3 sets

5th hand: lay down 1 run and 2 sets

6th hand: lay down 2 runs and 1 set

7th (and final) hand: lay down 3 runs with no discard. You have to draw and have the card that you draw work into your hand to allow you to lay down (meld) your entire hand.

When someone goes out in each hand the players remaining with cards count the cards in their hand and score appropriately. The player with the LOWEST cumulative score at the end of the game wins.

Counting your score:
2 thru 9 = 5 points
10 thru king = 10 points
Ace = 15 points
Joker = 50 points.

There are some fine points, but simply the ace can be used high (J,Q,K,A) or low (A,2,3,4) but not both (K,A,2,3.) The other thing is that the player with the joker in a meld can move the joker from where he used it (as in 6, 7, Joker, 9) if he had the Jack and drew the 8, he could replace the joker with the 8 and move the Joker to the 10 and play the Jack. If it isn't your meld, you cannot do this.

The person after the dealer can either pick up the card turned over after the deal or draw the top card and then discard. If another player after the player who's turn it is to draw, wants the discard they can "buy" the discard out of turn. If they buy the discard they also have to take the next card from the top of the deck and they aren't allowed to discard. They have effectively increased their hand from 11 cards to 13. A player is allowed to make 3 buys and increase their hand to a maximum of 17 cards at which time they cannot make any more buys. Also, after you lay down (meld) you are not allowed to make a buy.

If anyone wants further lessons in the finer points of Norwegian Rummy, Bonnie and I will be standing by at:

742 Lake Metigoshe Park

from early May thru the middle of October to take your quarters and show you the intricacies of the game. Just send me a PM when you will be there with your bag of quarters.

Steve.

ps: It's a really good game that only takes 30 minutes or so to play!

Last edited by a moderator:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pinochle (varying numbers of hands), speed was always fun growing up, and spoons can be a riotous game if played in the right setting.

I remember mom n dad having friends over and them playing spoons, one flew off the table on the grab and dad was the only one who saw it. Rather than walk around the table, dad got up and walked across the table top and jumped on the floor to get it. I was about 5 and thought he was dead meat but learned dads get ti play by a different set of rules.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tic is a great card game. Also known as Tourette in our family - because of the propensity for swearing at your dirty rotten %#*^%# opponents.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Growing right next to my grandparents we'd play cards pretty much every day. Pinochle, golf, wist, monkey, 2500, spades, Phase 10 are the ones I remember. In college, more pinochle, hockey, poker and other assorted drinking games. Now, with the in-laws its usually hand & foot but usually the board game Settlers of Catan (titty sprinkle that game).

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to play a game similar to UNO called Flinch with my grandmother. She used to let me win a lot until one day I remember "game on boy"! I don't remember if I figured it out or if Mom got on her. Anyways, she was sharp and no quarter was given! Played a lot of Spades in the AF. There's a two handed version of this which the technique escapes me. It's good sport.

- - - Updated - - -

th

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
We play dice for the most part. Just learned how to play whist last weekend and thought that was a lot of fun

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our typical holiday gathering games are:

- 3, 4 or 5 handed Pinochle
- cribbage
- up and down the river (great for 5+ players)
- dealer's choice poker
- hearts

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 37