CNN: Humans Could Cause Next Mass Extinction

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
elephant.jpg

Photo courtesy of Guido da Rozze/Flickr

Last week CNN published an article that claims Earth is on the cusp of another mass extinction, similar to the one scientists say wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. However, according to the article, unlike the Jurassic die-off and the four extinctions before it—all of which scholars attribute to natural disasters—a single species is to blame for this forthcoming extinction: humans. The piece notes that, because of habitat destruction, poaching, pollution, and overpopulation by people, animal species are vanishing 1,000 to 10,000 times faster than they would otherwise.

CNN writer Angad Singh points to a study by Science Advances that concludes 617 vertebrate species have gone extinct or possibly extinct since 1900. At this rate, Singh speculates that 75 percent of the world’s animal species could disappear within two generations, the effects of which could have dire consequences for the planet.
“People think nothing bad will come from species loss, because scientists can't predict exactly how many need to go extinct before the world collapses,” Gerardo Ceballos, an ecological researcher at the National Autonomous University of Mexico, tells CNN. “The problem is that our environment is like a brick wall. It will hold if you pull individual bricks, but eventually it takes just one to make it suddenly fall apart.”

The article offers three steps people can take to curb species loss and, presumably, avoid the planet’s demise: consume less meat, don’t purchase products made from endangered animals, reduce your carbon footprint.

Unfortunately, Singh gives no credence to hunting as a viable mean for funding wildlife restoration, though sportsmen generate 60 to 90 percent of the money used for wildlife conservation in the U.S., as the Boone and Crockett Club and the Wildlife Society note. Likewise, to combat species loss, Signh doesn’t mention the proven wildlife-management principles of the North American Model of Conservation, which stresses accessible public land, science-based game limits, and resource stewardship. Since adopted in the U.S., the model has helped the American bison, white-tailed deer, and wild turkey, among other species, recover. In particular, the Nature Conservancy calls the resurgence of wild turkey one of greatest conservation successes of all time. I can’t help but think that these hunting and conservation practices, if adopted worldwide, might help other species enjoy similar rebounds.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if this will happen before or after all the top soil is gone?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
We tried wiping out weeds with Glyphosate via RR crops. Look how that panned out. Nature will always find a way. I predict some sort of animal mutation (teenage mutant ninja turtle style) world take over. Boom.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well my first reaction to the headline was "Well, no shit!" It's like that damn star in your face driving east in the morning. It's warming the Earth.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Response to article title = "Duh....", The real question is if we, as a species, care enough to take steps to prevent it. Im not talking about global warming specifically. I still think one of the greatest threats to our planet is nuclear devices. Russia is unstable, being lead by a wacko who is increasingly aggressive. India/packistan are on the verge of war and they both are nuclear, very scary stuff. Forget about global warming, global population control is going to be one of our biggest challenges in the future. Get the population problem fixed and warming will fix itself also. Shipping the huge amounts of food to africa, back in the 80s, 90s, etc created a huge problem. Humans are like rats, the more you feed them, the faster they reproduce. Now there are more starving kids over there than ever, because we helped increase their population to the point it is unsustainable for them, without continued international aid. bla bla bla, "Its the end of the world as we know it, and I FEEL FINE!!!"

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Response to article title = "Duh....", The real question is if we, as a species, care enough to take steps to prevent it. Im not talking about global warming specifically. I still think one of the greatest threats to our planet is nuclear devices. Russia is unstable, being lead by a wacko who is increasingly aggressive. India/packistan are on the verge of war and they both are nuclear, very scary stuff. Forget about global warming, global population control is going to be one of our biggest challenges in the future. Get the population problem fixed and warming will fix itself also. Shipping the huge amounts of food to africa, back in the 80s, 90s, etc created a huge problem. Humans are like rats, the more you feed them, the faster they reproduce. Now there are more starving kids over there than ever, because we helped increase their population to the point it is unsustainable for them, without continued international aid. bla bla bla, "Its the end of the world as we know it, and I FEEL FINE!!!"

Its not just Africa, its right here in the USA too. When 50%+ of new born babies are,, at birth, already on the government dole...might be your first sign. The new generation sees it as the governments(us tax payers) job to feed their babies

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it comes down to the removal and eradication of the confederate flag.
Humans, specifically white humans have ruined this mother earth enough, the time to act is now,.. hope and change

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its not just Africa, its right here in the USA too. When 50%+ of new born babies are,, at birth, already on the government dole...might be your first sign. The new generation sees it as the governments(us tax payers) job to feed their babies

At 27 years old i can honestly say my generation sickens me. I cant stand over half the people my age. They dont care about the way the country is ran. the dont understand politics, Fiscal responsibility is almost unheard of. You are right. this generation and the one after it is piling the country into the ground. The government is all to happy to get more people on the government cheese and have control over their lives. Welfare, Obamacare, all these handouts dont help them at all. they are to blind to see that they have become slaves

there are some Great men and women in these age groups as well. they have learned lifes lesson and understand how everything effects them. but we are quickly being outnumbered

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
you bunch of uptight bigots!

these recent supreme court decisions have brought us out of our grandfather's stone age ideology into the age of enlightenment

nowhere to go but up now baby!

stand back and be amazed what tolerance and diversity do for the world - just you wait - you'll see how wrong your grandparents were

Whoo Hoo! :;:rockit

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im gonna stick with shorthairs r us and blame the baby boomers.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jim Rogers: What is happening right now is a historical anomaly. Never in the thousands of years of recorded history have we had interest rates at zero or negative. We are destroying the people who save and invest for the future. They are being wiped out at the expense of the people who bought four or five houses with no money down and no job. We are destroying the people that all societies throughout history have needed the most.

When you destroy the investing and saving group, your society, economy, and country has problems. That is what we have been doing. Think of all those people who were saving for the future. They look like fools now, and feel like fools. Their friends who borrowed money are being saved at their expense.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-jim-rogers-is-buying-what-everyone-else-is-selling-2015-06-26

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can we talk about the court decision on this site? It would be a good thread for FBO. But they fudged things up so bad over there that I don't even want to visit it at the moment.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can we talk about the court decision on this site? It would be a good thread for FBO. But they fudged things up so bad over there that I don't even want to visit it at the moment.

which decision?

I'm sure the Politics section of NDA is ready for action. :;:thumbsup

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both of them I guess. But i am going to forego such things I think. Its Friday and the sun is shining. Why wreck it?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jim Rogers: What is happening right now is a historical anomaly. Never in the thousands of years of recorded history have we had interest rates at zero or negative. We are destroying the people who save and invest for the future. They are being wiped out at the expense of the people who bought four or five houses with no money down and no job. We are destroying the people that all societies throughout history have needed the most.

When you destroy the investing and saving group, your society, economy, and country has problems. That is what we have been doing. Think of all those people who were saving for the future. They look like fools now, and feel like fools. Their friends who borrowed money are being saved at their expense.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-jim-rogers-is-buying-what-everyone-else-is-selling-2015-06-26
And if the economy wouldnt have been bailed out Jim Rogers would have lost his ace. The bailouts were a golden parachute for the rich at the expense of future generations. Things are so far gone the best thing u can do is fish fish fish. Haha

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Both of them I guess. But i am going to forego such things I think. Its Friday and the sun is shining. Why wreck it?

You could always join in on the sconi bashing. It's starting to look a bit like FBO over here.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11