Cornish Game Hens

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So, if these little buggers say "Contains less than 4% retained water," were they brined? Think I might just rub, stuff with some herbs, and smoke. Might spatchcock 3 and hang three, giving the hangers about twice the time. Also, my wife isn't appreciative of the fact I keep calling them "little baby chickens."

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a great idea,but for me after thanksgiving turkey,two or three following days of turkey left over's I'm done with turkey,don't even want to smell turkey.

That’s because turkey is gross and meant to feed convicts.

Do these Cornish game hens taste like chicken or like turkey?

EDIT: never mind, they’re chickens. Maybe I’ll pick some up for the woman to cook.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We always roasted them nestled together four to a pan w stuffing.

Most are brined at the factory (check the label)

Kids loved having their own “baby turkey”. LOTs of leftovers cuz most kids didn’t eat much due to lots of side dishes. Boil leftover birds whole for hours, let cool, separate meat, strain broth, add veg, then noodles or wild rice. Fantastic soup.

- - - Updated - - -

We do same with turkeys/chickens. Best soup possible. We even keep bare bones that were picked clean during the meal and make sure their goodness gets extracted into the broth.

Same with pheasant Sir!

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hens came up a bit short of my expectations. Not bad, but not as great as I built them up in my head. Couldn't get smoker over 200° today, so didn't get as much smoke on them as I hoped. Ended up finishing in oven after 2.5 hours between 180 and 200 in smoker. Smelled great, but we're kind of bland like turkey.
On the plus side, we devoured 2 loaves of homemade bread.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hens came up a bit short of my expectations. Not bad, but not as great as I built them up in my head. Couldn't get smoker over 200° today, so didn't get as much smoke on them as I hoped. Ended up finishing in oven after 2.5 hours between 180 and 200 in smoker. Smelled great, but we're kind of bland like turkey.
On the plus side, we devoured 2 loaves of homemade bread.

Next time inject them little critters with creole garlic butter from inside the bird cavity,this way the butter won't ozzzz out as they cook/smoke,done right they come out fantastic.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11