Crazy Hunter Harassment Duck Hunting In North Dakota (Game Warden Involved!)

Freedom

★ Legendary Member
If trespassing you're no longer legally hunting? People will shit if somehow Jeffy walks

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Article from New Rockford newspaper.

January 23, 2023

Last October, a group of hunters descended upon a harvested bean field for an early-morning duck hunt in eastern Eddy County, but the hunt was ruined soon after due to an altercation with a nearby landowner.
The confrontation was caught on video and uploaded to YouTube by one of the hunters, and has since been watched more than 2.5 million times.
The video shows Jeffrey Erman approaching the hunters, who had set up along his property line. He then interrupts the ongoing hunt and begins berating them, arguing they were touching his property and that they’d ruined his hunting plans for that morning.
Erman now faces multiple charges stemming from the incident, including trading in special influence, a Class A misdemeanor, as well as disorderly conduct and interference with rights of hunters, both Class B misdemeanors.
Erman wasn’t the only individual to face charges, however, as Dustin Wolf of West Fargo, one of the hunters, was charged with criminal trespass, a Class B misdemeanor.
After originally pleading not guilty to the trespassing charge, Wolf has since reached a plea agreement and changed his plea to guilty.
According to the criminal complaint filed against him, Wolf had received permission to hunt on the harvested bean field from an authorized agent for the landowner, but was told not to hunt near the property line unless also given permission by Erman.
In the plea agreement, Wolf states, “I am pleading guilty because on or about October 21, 2022 … I was hunting on land on which I had permission to hunt. I had been provided notice to avoid hunting on a specific patch of land within that larger piece of land. Before placing my blind, I had not determined with certainty that I was not on that patch of land; It turned out that I was on that patch of land.”
Wolf has now been assessed $250 in various fees and fines, and according to his plea agreement, must also pay $200 to the North Dakota Game & Fish Report All Poachers Program.
The plea agreement also stipulates that, after 180 days, “the guilty plea in this case will be withdrawn, the guilty verdict will be set aside, the case will be dismissed, and the file will be sealed by the court.”
Meanwhile, Jeffrey Erman has entered not guilty pleas for the three charges filed against him, and a jury trial has been scheduled for Thursday, April 6. However, Eddy County State’s Attorney, Ashley Lies, has told the Transcript that negotiations on a potential plea agreement are still ongoing.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do hope that Erman can come forward and tell why he was so irate that morning besides his original excuse that these hunters ruined his own hunting experience that day. I believe there is more to this story, and that unfortunately these hunters took the full frustration of the landowner. People here seem to forget that it's hunters like these that give other hunters a bad reputation in regards to hunter/landowners. No matter how this looks to us hunters this is just ammunition the landowners in North dakota will use to keep more land unaccessible to future hunters.

Jeffrey Erman I do hope he explains his actions once he is done with his court proceedings. This definitely would have looked different if the hunter didn't get charged at all with trespassing, but to justify his actions as it's just a simple mistake anyone could have made only shows we as hunters deserve what will happen to the rest of landowners decide to post up everything else. No matter what as a hunter in north dakota it's my responsibility to make sure that I am following the law and to give all landowners the utmost respect regardless if the landowner is being disrespectful that day.

Let the bashing begin I can take it because deep down you know these hunters were wrong and you know this becuase one was charged for breaking the law.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isnt illegally hunting called poaching?
That's a good question, I've always thought of poaching as out of season, having no license, or gross over the limit. Miscounting a fish in the livewell or accidently shooting a hen isn't quite poaching IMO. If you have a valid tag and trespass to fill it, I would think that would be trespassing, not poaching.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
"they were told to stay away from jeff erman's land if they did not also have permission to hunt his land"... and he "did not give permission to hunt the section line". that's from the affidavit of probable cause. the paragraph about his voluntary statement says he told them to "not go near jeff's land".

i've already explained how i would interpret that first statement. but, i wouldn't take it literally. i would assume he meant something akin to "don't be dumb enough to hunt ON jeff's land without permission from him". i guess i only say that because that's the context these discussions are usually had under. i've never once been told literally not to go "near" a neighboring landowners land. its such a vague instruction if its meant to be specific. call me obtuse i guess. i just wouldn't take that instruction and the word "near" literally. as far as hunting the property line, it doesn't say that it was specifically requested or even discussed. just that he didn't specifically give them permission to hunt it.

having said all of that, legal or illegal, they certainly were literally skirting the line given the discussion that was had with mr. wolf anyway.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really hope the hunters walk and El_Hef'e gets his ass handed to him.
No doubt in my mind he has been a prick his whole life!
A miserable prick!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Despite the spite, there are some lessons to be learned here

According to the criminal complaint filed against him, Wolf had received permission to hunt on the harvested bean field from an authorized agent for the landowner, but was told not to hunt near the property line unless also given permission by Erman.

At first I thought this boils down to the interpretation the word "near" but In the plea bargain the word "on" the property automatically cancels out the word near. USDA has good maps and it's pretty easy to overlay a USDA map with a clear plastic see through grid and provided solid proof that the hunting blind was on mad mans property.

I had not determined with certainty that I was not on that patch of land; It turned out that I was on that patch of land.”

Doesn't matter if you want to build a house, plant a tree, build a fence or set up a duck blind, there are property line law to obey and that's for our own good. We are lucky that a judge is bound by laws just as we are pertaining to a property lines with little to no exceptions.

I'm not knit picking or sticking up for either party , this whole scenario is total bullshit and it gives hunters and landowners alike a black eye, speaking as a land owner and hunter , If someone gives us permission to hunt in a certain area but specifically states not to go "near" a property line it's in our best interest obey that request in a gracious manner.

It will be interesting to see how Jeff the mad mans outcome will be for trading in special influence, disorderly conduct and interference with rights of hunters. There is lots of grey area in that but not so much about property lines.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems about right....I'm glad I was wrong. I thought the land owner would skate, and so did he.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to read the story, but will not pay The Forum to do so. Bastards.

I googled it and found the news on youtube The story starts @ 7:25 . BTW can someone repeat what you have to do to see fargo forum online ? I was getting it but now the subscribe ad pops up again.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you all think the chances are that he will say he just pleaded guilty so he can concentrate on getting out in the field this spring?

Eddy County farmer in viral hunting video takes plea deal​

In a video from October, Jeffrey Erman can be seen yelling at a group of waterfowl hunters because he felt the group was too close to his property line.​

jeffreyerman

An angry Jeffrey Erman yelling at some hunters near New Rockford.
Contributed / Jacob Sweere
Matt Henson
By Matt Henson
Today at 12:01 AM
News reporting

NEW ROCKFORD, N.D. — An Eddy County farmer is set to plead guilty in a hunting case where the video went viral .
In a video from October, Jeffrey Erman can be seen yelling at a group of waterfowl hunters because he felt the group was too close to his property line.
Through a plea deal that still needs to be approved by the judge, Erman will plead guilty to disorderly conduct and interference with rights of hunters

Erman will avoid jail time if he stays out of trouble for a year. He must also make a $250 donation to the state's poaching program.

He will not lose any hunting or gun ownership privileges.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75