Custom rod building

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
So tomorrow is the big day and I am very excited to learn how to make my own fishing rods. Where do you guys get your supplies to make your own?

mudhole.com and dh custom rods is where I have ordered from. Aldo called st Croix a couple years ago and managed to get a couple ice rod blanks too

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I will build some of my lunker rods out of cherry handles

- - - Updated - - -

mudhole.com and dh custom rods is where I have ordered from. Aldo called st Croix a couple years ago and managed to get a couple ice rod blanks too

Thanks tikka

- - - Updated - - -

Also is a rod building kit a must to build rods

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I will build some of my lunker rods out of cherry handles

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks tikka

- - - Updated - - -

Also is a rod building kit a must to build rods

no on the kit. you can order blank guides handle and anything else you need individually.

for my first couple build I order complete kits so I made sure I got everything. after that I rarely order a kit unless somebody want a basic rod built.

I don't build my rods to be pretty. I build them to be functional.

I don't do any fancy weaves. I do use different colors of thread but hardly ever do anything but a basic wrap with 1 solid color or a tiger thread from mudhole.com.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much time does a person get into building say a 7 foot open water rod?
Is it a one day deal or can you do it in say 3 to 4 hours once you know what your doing?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The class tomorrow evening and all day Saturday which I am excited to learn.
Since I know how to use a lathe to make my own handles once I get going

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
i bought the whole wrapper dryer and tool combo from mud hole.

In terms of how long it takes it really depends on how you intricate you get with all the little details and making them look purdy.

I usually glue the handles on and let them sit overnight. Figure 1.5 to 2 hours of wrapping and positioning guides once you have the hang of it

I use prokote finish which needs quite a few hours to dry once applied but after it is applied i let them spin for anywhere from 12 to 24 hours depending on temperature.

As stated above i dont make pretty rods i make functional ones. I dress them up a little with the handle and threads i use but nothing completely over the top.

Auggie or Fishreaper may have different amounts of time into the rod but it really comes down to the individual building each rod.

I would say i have 4.5 to 5 hours into each rod between testing guide placement mounting and assembling handle(i don't make my own so that cuts out time) and wrapping guides and another 1 to 2 hours for finishing and final inspections and installing tip-top

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It takes me about 8 hours for a normal summer nothing special rod. It use to be closer to 12 hours, but I have a power wrapper. Ice rods can take 3-5 hours. Sometimes thread doesn't want to hold or walk up a guide foot right. Those nights are for playing video games and drinking beer. I've done some weaves and have 30 hours into those rods. I don't weave anymore.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
auggie do you have a pictures of the equipment you use in your work area just looking for examples of how to set up a future area.

JCNodak

Honored Member
This is crazy. I was literally thinking today and looking up information on rod building thinking it would be a fun little hobby. Quite spendy I am seeing.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
The startup supply kits from Mudhole.com go on sale frequently. I never bought the rod kits so I could have full customization over how I build rods. It can be an expensive and time consuming hobby. If you're like me, you are going to buy 3 of everything to see if you like it. You can build your own manual thread wrapped pretty cheap, but I do recommend a dryer or rig up some sort of your own with a slow rpm (~9 rpm) motor.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
auggie do you have a pictures of the equipment you use in your work area just looking for examples of how to set up a future area.
I'm out of town for a few days. I'll some pics next week. I have 2 foldable tables set in the corner of my basement. 1 has the wrapper/dryer the other has a few dryers. I have a few old night stands where the drawers are full of supplies. I store most of the supplies in Plano boxes.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have been reading up on using fly guides on a fiberglass blank and since fly guides and regular guides are not the same size as far as ID. My question is that a fiberglass blank is going to be heavier than a carbon blank as well as less backbone then the carbon blank of the same length and diameter. Would I be better off with fly guides of a say a 4 or 5 size rather than a 6 or 8 also should I go with a low profile guide rather than a high profile guide with the same ID. That way since I am using braided line and keeping the guides closer to the blank would give me extra backbone to the fiberglass blank. I like the fly guides because of the similarities of the recoil guides so with that what do you guys think

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have been reading up on using fly guides on a fiberglass blank and since fly guides and regular guides are not the same size as far as ID. My question is that a fiberglass blank is going to be heavier than a carbon blank as well as less backbone then the carbon blank of the same length and diameter. Would I be better off with fly guides of a say a 4 or 5 size rather than a 6 or 8 also should I go with a low profile guide rather than a high profile guide with the same ID. That way since I am using braided line and keeping the guides closer to the blank would give me extra backbone to the fiberglass blank. I like the fly guides because of the similarities of the recoil guides so with that what do you guys think

Use size 5, 4, and even 3 on the fly guides.

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
Looking at building a custom rod for myself this year, wondering if a 10 1/2" handle would be enough for a 7' rod? only had kits before, this time I wanted to choose my components.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you ever tried tying a fly guide to the tip instead of using a tip top?

I wrap my top guides
IMG_0279.jpg

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enjoy hobby as well. If you have a chance to take Chuck DeRemer's rod building class, it will not disappoint. The man is amazing! Just started turning my own handles from wood and cork. Good pass time when fish are not cooperating.100_4116.jpg100_3777.jpg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
4" Cherry wood tennessee style please

- - - Updated - - -

historical-photos24.jpg
This is one I purchased as well as this one to
Brazilian Cherry_151.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.customrodhandles.com/apps/webstore/products/category/1262813?page=1

- - - Updated - - -

The black single wire fly guide does the black finish wear off exposing the SS wire underneath

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88