Deer Rut 2018

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are not . There'll be lots and lots of corn and lots of beans still out for opener . Maybe by thanksgiving it'll be mostly off . Might wanna rethink strategies if relying on crops to be off

Uggghh. I know. Could not believe the amount of crops still up, but was happy to see plenty of farmers out making the best of it. Still, wishful thinking at best. Oh well, it's gonna be what it's gonna be and I won't be punching a tag from my house, so might as well see what happens! The big cool-down and the timing of opener has me pretty darn excited -- crops or no crops.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel bad for the farmers this has to be a frustrating year . Bad prices and now can't even get crop off . So that's first and foremost. But from a deer standpoint this crop standing is best thing that could happen . Give them some good to eat a little longer and save some deer from getting shot specifically bigger deer . December hunting will be phenomenal.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm looking at the forecast and it is pert near perfect for me for opening week. Gonna be a good time.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna be a long grind to Friday...fudge.......I want out of this warehouse....he he...then my vacation is week of thanksgiving...nothing can come fast enough....been 8 months seen last time Ive seen time off....thats what happen when you can't find good help now a days.
depsite the rain I tried scouting yesterday, saw on muley doe bedded down in the trees, think I didn't stay out long enough towards evening to see more movement because of the rain.
Pretty much hunting solo this year.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm taking Thursday and Friday off. Dropping kiddos at daycare Thursday morning, then right to the deer woods. Bow in hand through Friday AM, then back to the truck for orange and the Ought-Six. Sleeping in the truck until some tag is punched. Gonna be a cold one for that...ha!

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mulies are rounding up does here, saw 2 real nice ones each with their own set of does

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last day of work today, then I'm off the 6th-26th! :;:rockit
Bowhunt every day this week dark till dark, then try to fill
my ND any buck tag for a week.
Then it's off to the great white north for a week chasing
whiteys.
Come home for some turkey and keep trying to
fill my tags if things haven't gone well this week.
Good luck to you all, enjoy your November!

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last day of work today, then I'm off the 6th-26th! :;:rockit
Bowhunt every day this week dark till dark, then try to fill
my ND any buck tag for a week.
Then it's off to the great white north for a week chasing
whiteys.
Come home for some turkey and keep trying to
fill my tags if things haven't gone well this week.
Good luck to you all, enjoy your November!

SMH, always one guy that gotta rub it in on the amount of days off he gets....
Good luck.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother was out today and watched 2 120-130 class bucks fight. He said it wasn't a brawl but they went at it for about 5 minutes. When I was bird hunting Sunday I saw 2 decent bucks running with 6 does.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
FEC16635-EF79-4B73-B100-BA6794B1DE81.jpg9063FB06-D76C-4A39-A8A9-FD705679A162.jpgA9B056D5-B6CE-406E-B4ED-A256A25571A1.jpg
This guy was smelling things yesterday. Over all I saw little rut activity with muleys this weekend tho

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
By mid-Sept I thought if ever there was a year that the corn would all be off for deer season, this was it! Lots of heat, early maturation, I figured they'd even be saving a fair amount of $$ by having very little dry-down propane to buy.

WRONG!!!

I guess it's better than a tornado, straightline winds, or hail as sooner or later, there is a crop to harvest. Mother Nature must've decided she needed to leave ND's deer a lot more places to hide this season.

As far ahead as we were in GDD’s mid-sept, late sept-October kicked us in the nuts. Now with wet weather and little heat, the crop is holding on to moisture. Drying days are far a few between this time of year.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
mercedes-masohn-2.jpgthe-great-outdoors-is-where-we-all-should-be-today-44-photos-252.jpg69588369_10215501657879163_6984096588322832384_n.jpg
This guy was smelling things yesterday. Over all I saw little rut activity with muleys this weekend tho

Any particular reason you didn't just shoot the one in the pics? Maybe you didn't want to have to pack that fat slob outta where you photo'd him?

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any particular reason you didn't just shoot the one in the pics? Maybe you didn't want to have to pack that fat slob outta where you photo'd him?

He's excuse will be...ah...I want bigger.......;:;boozer

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
2018 deer.jpg

I'm getting pretty excited and anxious. I stuck this guy with an arrow a few weeks back and lost him. I think I hit a little too far back since he eventually quit bleeding. He's not the biggest boy on the block, but if I see him we have some unfinished business. Story: Was walking around checking camera's (of course without the bow in hand). Looked over and saw this guy staring me down. We stared at each other for a few seconds before I took the phone out of my pocket and took this picture. I calmly walked away and went to the truck to grab my bow and head back to where I saw him. The whole time I was walking back I thought there would be no way he was still there. Walked by once and didn't see him; figure he took off right after I walked away. Started walking back and there he was. Pulled back and let one fly. Rushed my dang shot and hit a little too far back. He was bleeding pretty good all the way through a corn field, but no more blood after he came out of the other end of the field. followed his tracks through a stubble field for about a quarter mile and lost those. I am assuming he is still alive.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88