DLVFD Tournament/Raffle

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
First time I seen the ole coffee can heater in use was at this tournament last year. Seemed like the old buggers had it figured out. I, too, got yelled at for tipping my sled up. I wasn't even sitting in it but my buddy heater was. Damn thing wouldn't stay lit. Our group of five was quickly nixed to three about an hour in. We left with an hour left of the tournament and went to the stri...church.

Always the best church service of the year! Thumbs Up

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
This here tournament separates men from dah girlymans. :;:thumbsup

The last two years during the tourney i was fishing perch by the 6 mile bridge area in a permanent style fishhouse. I was warm and small perch were biting in 40 feet of water. I sat and fished in my t shirt while watching tons of people freeze their tails off.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last two years during the tourney i was fishing perch by the 6 mile bridge area in a permanent style fishhouse. I was warm and small perch were biting in 40 feet of water. I sat and fished in my t shirt while watching tons of people freeze their tails off.

Yes, but did you walk half a mile tugging a sled, then freeze your feet off, while catching no fish?

Just kidding. I've done this tournament 6 or 7 times now, and have yet to catch a fish. My partner won a generator couple years back though. Parked in my garage now.

- - - Updated - - -

First time I seen the ole coffee can heater in use was at this tournament last year. Seemed like the old buggers had it figured out. I, too, got yelled at for tipping my sled up. I wasn't even sitting in it but my buddy heater was. Damn thing wouldn't stay lit. Our group of five was quickly nixed to three about an hour in. We left with an hour left of the tournament and went to the stri...church.

I am not an old bugger. Close, but not quite. Actually, my buddy showed me this trick, and he IS old.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, the wind.

No electronics of any kind. No shelters. I have tipped my sled up on end, and sat in the lee of it, and was asked not to do that. I said "but I'm likely going to die - DO YOU WANT THAT ON YOUR HEAD??", and they said "you can always leave".

they were not douchey about it at all. I'm kidding. But they won't let you even sit inside your sled. You can bring a chair, but you will likely end up standing up, so you can keep moving. Bring your warmest boots. Bring a heater (which will do next to nothing with the wind)(but the heater WILL neatly melt your line when the wind blows the line against it).

Bring a metal coffee can and some charcoal briquettes and some lighter fluid. And some paper to light it all. Trust me. Oh, and bring a hammer or a pry-bar or a hatchet. The holes will be considerably re-frozen by the time you start to fish.
You can use the seats on your flip over to sit on
Also I did catch a small walleye and the year before a friend of mine caught a perch so I made him take walk of SHAME, lol he was so pissed that he didn't even ask for a ride to the weight station a he did get his picture taken. I on the other hand indeed ask for a ride, after I got picture taken with my lunker the guy ask" is that a perch or walleye." I replied" this is an eye.l
" he grabbed and threw it on the pile of the other non winners.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm....maybe I missed something. It would seem a tournament would want to get sponsers to give free stuff away, like electronics, shelters, and other gadgets, NOT allowed in the tournament! Strange?!

Eyes R Bitin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got my tickets from a fireman at work. He said if you can't find a ticket you can mail a check to the FD and they will send you a ticket (or return your check if tickets are all gone). Address is DLVFD 621 College Dr. North Devils Lake, ND 58301.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like fishing near the tourney area to watch all the buzz. I also listen to the updates on the radio. Its just like im in the tourney except i stay warm and cant win.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm....maybe I missed something. It would seem a tournament would want to get sponsers to give free stuff away, like electronics, shelters, and other gadgets, NOT allowed in the tournament! Strange?!

There are many sponsors set up just as you go on ice.
Yeah..its kinda a good old fashioned ice fishing derby started 30 years ago. Somewhat evens the playing field for Beginner Joe or Josephine to try their luck.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
can a guy sip on some whiskey whilst freezing on the lake?

I can handle cold fairly well as I am super insulated, however if its a one hole day, with no electronic stimulation, the whiskey might be needed.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
can a guy sip on some whiskey whilst freezing on the lake?

I can handle cold fairly well as I am super insulated, however if its a one hole day, with no electronic stimulation, the whiskey might be needed.

I think it's against the rules but I witnessed more than a few season vets slipping a flask out of their inside pocket. The young group behind us didn't hesitate to pull out the bottle of fireball.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
dirty - please translate for us lay peoples

[h=1]Alcohol's effect on body temperature: hypothermia, hyperthermia or poikilothermia?[/h]Myers RD.
[h=3]Abstract[/h]A series of five experiments was undertaken in order to characterize the pharmacological effects of alcohol on the body temperature of the unrestrained rat. After a thermistor probe was fixed within the colon of each animal and its body temperature had stabilized, physiological saline. 2.0 g/kg or 4.0 g/kg of ethyl alcohol was given by intragastric gavage. A constant concentration of 20% was utilized with doses determined volumetrically according to the individual weight of the animal. The following observations were made: (1) At a laboratory room temperature of 22 degrees C, alcohol produced a dose-dependent decline in colonic temperature. This fall was enhanced when the rat was placed in a chamber with an ambient temperature of 8 degrees C, but reversed into a hyperthermic response when the ambient temperature of the rat was elevated to 36 degrees C. (2) If the rat was exposed for one hour to either a warm (36 degrees C) or cold (8 degrees C) ambient temperature beginning at the time of the intragastric gavage with alcohol, the body temperature of the animal correspondingly decreased or increased, respectively. The magnitude of the shift in the animal's colonic temperature depended solely on the dose of alcohol given, i.e., thermolability was enhanced to a greater extent by the r.0 g/kg dose than the 2.0 g/kg dose. Exposure of the rat to a high or low ambient temperature prior to intragastric gavage with alcohol also affected the body temperature displacement as well as the direction of change. (3) Following the 4.0 g/kg alcohol dose, the animal's colonic temperature could be controlled precisely by varying the ambient temperatures in the 26 degrees C--32 degrees C range of thermoneutrality; in fact, within limits, the rat's temperature could be held constant at any predetermined level. (4) Pretreatment of the animal with 6.0 ml of a 50% solution of glucose given subcutaneously failed to attenuate the poikilothermic effect of intragastric alcohol administered in a dose of 4.0 g/kg. (5) Comparisons of the effect on body temperature of equipotent doses of sodium pentobarbital (25 mg/kg), administered intraperitoneally, and alcohol (4.0 g/kg) given by gavage showed that either a high or low ambient temperature elevated or lowered the colonic temperature of the rat at an identical rate and magnitude. It is concluded that alcohol acts acutely as any other anesthetic agent to abolish all thermoregulatory control functions. Thus, the physiological mechanisms for the dissipation of body heat as well as those for heat production are incapacitated by the drug. Clearly, alcohol is a poikilothermic agent, and thus, the decline in body temperature observed in the animal typically kept at a laboratory room temperature of 20 degrees C--24 degrees C represents the result of a cold challenge and is not due to a postulated "hypothermic" effect of alcohol.

- - - Updated - - -

my crude attempt:

alcohol doesn't just screw up your ability to stay warm in cold temps - it also screws up your ability to cool off in hot temps?

i.e. it turns you into an amphibian?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You walk out like a homeless person, stand around and freeze like a homeless person, and then get drunk later like a homeless person.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea but you "feel" warmer for a short time. that's all I care about, I don't worry my self about things 30 minutes in the future. I live in the now, instant gratification baby.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty much nailed it, Guy. Looks to be completely dependent on ambient temperature but seems to reduce the ability for the body to adjust high or low. I believe it needs to be tested in the field. Juan, Guy and I will send a bottle of canadian mist and a thermometer. Please report the results.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea but you "feel" warmer for a short time. that's all I care about, I don't worry my self about things 30 minutes in the future. I live in the now, instant gratification baby.

this belongs in the child support thread

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
is the GPS in a phone considered an electronic device and then banned?

- - - Updated - - -

Is the contest area known in advance?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 182
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 82