Don't Leave In The Gut Pile

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm picky as hell and promise there's nothing "weird" or "off" about the flavor:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Excellent, dont think this video will make it to a vegetarian show...lol.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Remember when Mom would save all the deer hearts until end of season and then pressure cook them. Slice thin when cold and have sammy's with M W and a slice of raw sweet onion. Good. LB

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
My younger days cooking up hearts my dad would take a look during the pan fry process and give me "im gonna puke" look,family passed,all mine.deer liver is another story,strong pass here.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like deer liver and onions fried in bacon grease, buy I haven't had it for years because the liver c concentrates toxins. I stopped abruptly one day. I walked into a waterhole surrounded by dozens of large cottonwood in a sunflower fieldwhere I had permission to hunt. When I got there it stunk really bad. The insects and frogs in the water were dead, and in the trees many birds were dead. It's been years and I don't remember the chemical, but fields had to be posted first a week or ten days or something like that with notification. The sprayer had posted, but on boxes that blew away. I went home and showered and have not eaten liver since.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG,holy sheep shit,nasty shit,for many years i hunted south central Nebraska, my contact there was a commodity broker,we had several farms/ranches to hunt,most of these ppl passed early in life 50's,cancer,always suspected chemical fall out.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toxins are neutralized/removed from your blood by the liver. But residual toxins are stored in fatty tissues, not the liver itself.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gone and "magpied" gutpiles when the hearts are left. I was raised to waste nothing. Mama KDM does a gold medal fried heart that is so good, I'll give you one of them football injuries if you get between me and the table.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched that vid last yr. Was what I did with my deer heart, and will do again.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We don't care for the heart or liver. Couldn't eat it as a kid and tried them again later in life and no go.
So I left it in the gut piles and said the coyotes have to eat too.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet deer liver would make good catfish bait... or a great snack for any cats or dogs you have around the house. Sliced and dehydrated.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way back in the day they use to have a heart and liver fry in Cleveland on Saturday night of opening weekend. Great turnout and absolutely delicious cooked with onions.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just could never stomach the metallic taste of liver. Supposedly you crave it if you’re starving. Haven’t been there yet.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cooked up my deer heart tonight. Very close to vid posted but I do about 3 mins /side.
IMG_0996.jpeg
IMG_0997.jpeg
IMG_0998.jpeg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer heart are by far the tuffest to eat, I'm not sure of that is because the deer may have been stressed out because of being hunted. Give me some homemade head cheese over eating organs any day. I've eaten plenty of brazen pig heart stew in a slow cooker, tried the same recipe with deer honestly I couldn't eat it, the wild in the meat is such a nasty flavor for my palate. Perhaps I should have soaked the heart in a salt brine for a few days. Maybe next time

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer heart are by far the tuffest to eat, I'm not sure of that is because the deer may have been stressed out because of being hunted. Give me some homemade head cheese over eating organs any day. I've eaten plenty of brazen pig heart stew in a slow cooker, tried the same recipe with deer honestly I couldn't eat it, the wild in the meat is such a nasty flavor for my palate. Perhaps I should have soaked the heart in a salt brine for a few days. Maybe next time
Lol,lunk why sugar coat it,agreed tho not a fan of strong gamey flavor,just like ducks,i pass on divers,some guyz love em,been in duck camps that hang divers for 2 3 days before they process them,guts and all.

I wonder if muly's vs corn fed white tails makes a difference, I know farmland bucks vs northern Minnesota tamerac swamp bucks,night n day table fare.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84