Don't Leave In The Gut Pile

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I too am not one of those guys thar can eat anything if its cooked right to them, now if you can season the shit out of it and make some jerky out of those pond dwellers I'm all for it. More power to them if they can, only proves that I would either go hungry or have to force myself to eat it. I've tried homemade blood sausage, liver and onions, beef tongue, chicken hearts and gizzard cooked in a soup, and lutifisk. But I will chow down some chitlins, head cheese, rocky mtn oysters if you have some.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gone and "magpied" gutpiles when the hearts are left. I was raised to waste nothing. Mama KDM does a gold medal fried heart that is so good, I'll give you one of them football injuries if you get between me and the table.
Care to share?...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer heart are by far the tuffest to eat, I'm not sure of that is because the deer may have been stressed out because of being hunted. Give me some homemade head cheese over eating organs any day. I've eaten plenty of brazen pig heart stew in a slow cooker, tried the same recipe with deer honestly I couldn't eat it, the wild in the meat is such a nasty flavor for my palate. Perhaps I should have soaked the heart in a salt brine for a few days. Maybe next time
I watched another vid where the dude pounded the hell out of it before frying which I recommend. I also slice into "nuggets" rather than the weird looking "pretzel" steaks. I can't figure why anyone wouldn't like it if they like backstrap.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well svn I am a big fan of brine seasoning my venison, perhaps the heart would have tasted better if it was soaked in a brine solution. I didn't prepare it was a friend who made it with other venison, And he doesn't season any of his meats other then salt and pepper.
Yes he also makes venison jerky for his favorite four legged pets, he is what you call a traditionalist when it comes to hunting.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just cleaned all the blood out of ventricles and soaked in water overnight. No gamey taste. Many just don't care for the texture.
I purposely try to neck shoot when possible so can recover the heart, and they pile up nicely when connect ;)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Care to share?...
Guys talk about shooting a deer and I'll ask if they took the heart. If they say no, I'll ask where the gutpile is located and go get the heart, and maybe the liver if it's a young deer. I'm not proud. Mama makes great meals out of both of those pieces. I have several friends that will keep the heart from their deer, elk or moose, just for me and I'm exceptionally grateful for it. Waste not want not. Just how I roll.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with that @KDM. My BIL feels the same about the deer heart!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys talk about shooting a deer and I'll ask if they took the heart. If they say no, I'll ask where the gutpile is located and go get the heart, and maybe the liver if it's a young deer. I'm not proud. Mama makes great meals out of both of those pieces. I have several friends that will keep the heart from their deer, elk or moose, just for me and I'm exceptionally grateful for it. Waste not want not. Just how I roll.
:) Umm...hoping for the recipe?...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
:) Umm...hoping for the recipe?...
This is Mama KDM talkin........ You are going to fry these like a steak, so First I cut off the top of the heart, about an inch or so down, to get past the harder valves at the top. Then going across the heart from top to bottom, I slice it into 1/2 inch slices, so you have big to small circles. Then I clean all the "hairs" and valve material out of the inside of each slice and cut the fat/tallow off the outside, mostly where the veins run down the outside of the top of the heart, so you have clean slices. I then salt each slice and sometimes add a light dusting of garlic powder to each slice. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet til it's hot, and just covers the bottom of the pan, then fry the slices like you do venison steak, flipping once to get them med rare, or just pink inside. and eat like a steak. If you prefer country fried style, you can dip each slice into a dredge of flour, salt and pepper, then fry in a hot pan until again, med rare or still pink in the middle and enjoy. This is how I started eating heart, then started leaving the flour off when our daughter didn't care for it that way. Either way is great!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's so awesome Mama K!! Thanks so much! Here's a tune for you!--KD will understand:

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been known to pilfer a heart or two in my day also.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always carry zip lock bags in the fanny pack.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84