Drotto boat trailer latch

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My safety chain is on the same hook as my wench. I have bunks so I wouldn't hesitate pulling up and off the ramp. But if they were icy, I would stop at waters edge and secure it with wench and even all my straps. If I thought there was a chance of it not holding, I wouldn't care If I held up the pope 5 minutes. I just don't care if someone sees me as a "sota".

One thing I recommend is locking the release arm on it. I lost mine (stolen?) and was using a 1/2 inch wrench to release it from home, since it's only 1 mile to launch. Last fall, with icy bunks, she almost slid off at waters edge. back strap saved my azzzz!! Finally got serious on searching for a replacement on the internet and forked up $40 for what I could have made for nothing with some scrap metal. From now on I'll release it in the water only. I'll rig up a rope so my partner doesn't have to run up and pull lever, he can pull it from drivers seat.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
My safety chain is on the same hook as my wench. I have bunks so I wouldn't hesitate pulling up and off the ramp. But if they were icy, I would stop at waters edge and secure it with wench and even all my straps. If I thought there was a chance of it not holding, I wouldn't care If I held up the pope 5 minutes. I just don't care if someone sees me as a "sota".

One thing I recommend is locking the release arm on it. I lost mine (stolen?) and was using a 1/2 inch wrench to release it from home, since it's only 1 mile to launch. Last fall, with icy bunks, she almost slid off at waters edge. back strap saved my azzzz!! Finally got serious on searching for a replacement on the internet and forked up $40 for what I could have made for nothing with some scrap metal. From now on I'll release it in the water only. I'll rig up a rope so my partner doesn't have to run up and pull lever, he can pull it from drivers seat.

I run paracord I can reach from my driver’s seat. Works good

- - - Updated - - -

When I’m by myself I back close to the dock, jump in grab the cord pull it and toss it out. Start it up pull around to the side of the dock nobody can back in tie it up and rush back to the truck to get it out of the way. The drotto has simplified things exponentially

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have one. Love it. Buy one and don't look back. Won't ever be without one again.

Fish On!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I plan on getting one for my boat but I'm also doing a vinyl wrap....anybody know if it would tear up the vinyl ?

I guess I'd have to know more how the vinyl wrap. I'd think above the tow ring wouldn't be good. You can see marks on my boat. I'm thinking of waxing the boat and panels on latch really good. I'll take a pic and you can see for yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

20210303_110926.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20210303_110854.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

You can see scuff marks, but I have a heavy fiberglass boat. It will depend on the type of boat you have as to how much the guide panels contact your boat. On some its hardly at all.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

If i am reading this correctly - if i have rollers i should stop and secure. That isnt going to happen; wife has that all timed. . Were up the ramp and to the cleaning station. Next guy is already starting to back down my lane.

- - - Updated - - -

my old trailer had bunks - some ramps i didnt bother hooking anything up - and some you did - you just knew by the looks of them if you needed that extra insurance.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
my old boat with roller trailer, id get it in the water a bit before I hooked/unhooked winch and chain as a precaution. Not so far in the water that I would get my feet wet. My current boat on a bunk trailer I don't worry about it. unhook them before getting on the ramp since it is much less likely to slide on the bunks (unless the bunks are icy) if the drotto failed/wasn't latched. I have heard stories of dumb shits screwing around with other peoples drottos and pulling the lever so it isnt latched. In this case you'd be in trouble if you have a roller and are unhooked when you go to back down the ramp...

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was always very confident that the boat would never slide off my bunks. Now, after the icy incident, I'll be much more careful. If I had rollers, I'd inspect it every time before backing down and would never unhook anything until at least half way in water. I could see kids pulling the latch arm on the Drotto at its a curious item sticking out.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Short,
If you are driving the boat all the time and having the wife do the back in/ pull it out of the water, get a damn Drotto and she will reward you three fold. It will make her life way easier and that means yours also.:cool:

Fish On!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short,
If you are driving the boat all the time and having the wife do the back in/ pull it out of the water, get a damn Drotto and she will reward you three fold. It will make her life way easier and that means yours also.:cool:

Fish On!

She never gets out of the vehicle (she auto starts it so its blowing cold air while she is walking to her truck) - i never get out of the boat. My only issue is leaning over the bow to hook it - she has it timed as soon as she feels the small bumb of the boat she gives me 5 seconds to hook the safety on kill the motor and up with trim.

My story about boat ramps --- major storm we made the run from pelly to henniger come into creel - it was a complete shit show. About 30 boats trying to get to the ramp. I came in said no and ran up to the rocks i jumped off she took the boat (i hate lighting-hence that is why she stayed in the boat :) I started up the rocks and every asshole was on my back. You cant do that!!!! Then they blocked the wife from getting on my trailer. oh boy nd nice

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Short,
You won't have to lean over the front and hook shit up and crank anything. I found that sucks as a guy gets older and almost lands on your head on the ramp. Besides cranking from there sucks too. Just sit in your seat and when you drive up and lock in to the Drotto, you shut off the motor while trimming it up. Wave at the Mrs and away she goes. Nothing easier other than maybe having the Mrs clean the fish. lol

Fish On!

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
my question to you all -- safety chain

imo i need it going up the long ramp. Instructions state: We 100% recommend securing your safety chain and strap at the dry waters edge

- - - Updated - - -

i have a roller -- as that trailer is being backed i am nubbin foward a quick little boost of throttle i am up over the edge hooking up my main and the safety. I wont be a sota and stop at the waters edge. The next stop is once i am up and away from the access (well out of others way).

Visions of Akaline lake some years back when i seen a fiberglass boat hit the cement ramp midway when it wasnt secured properly when the guy went to pull it up the ramp.

- - - Updated - - -

is it 100 % fail proof?

As great as Drotto's are (had one for years - loved it) they are mechanical and anything mechanical is not 100% fail proof. There's only a metal tab holding the two sides of the "pincer" together and a couple springs. Take the extra few seconds and hook up the strap/safety chains before pulling out of the water. If you think taking a few seconds is an inconvenience to other boaters imagine the inconvenience of your boat laying on the ramp.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
short - insurance...

what i have learned from this conversation is my insurance is the second or two it takes me to hook the safety chain. I dont get in the water or try to crank the boat up from up on the bow - i merely peer over and hookit -shut down the engine trim and i am up the ramp. Not to many at the ramp as fast as I am.

- - - Updated - - -

As great as Drotto's are (had one for years - loved it) they are mechanical and anything mechanical is not 100% fail proof. There's only a metal tab holding the two sides of the "pincer" together and a couple springs. Take the extra few seconds and hook up the strap/safety chains before pulling out of the water. If you think taking a few seconds is an inconvenience to other boaters imagine the inconvenience of your boat laying on the ramp.

If i have to lean over the trolling motor and hook those two - which I already do - so i see the point of spending the extra coin for one

Becker

A lot of great info, thanks for sharing. I’m gonna order one and give it a try. This is my first bunk trailer so that will take some learning. Used rollers for 30 years and could load up pretty quick myself. I’ll have to find a secluded ramp somewhere and practice the off/on. Don’t want to be “that dumbass at the ramp”

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll add that the main reason I got one for my old boat (1999 Tyee 1850) was because the bow eye was mounted so low that I couldn't reach it from inside the boat. It was priceless on that rig.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76