Everything is JUNK!

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cannot believe the quality of products nowadays. Things used to be built to last. There was some pride in it. Now, if you buy new, you expect there to be problems. I bought a new Ford F-250 and talk about problems. Bought a new boat a few years ago, and it was back to the dealer 3 times before the initial issues were handled.

But it's EVERYTHING now! Everything is JUNK!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Totally agree, mass production has really diminished quality.

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know how many times I have said everything is JUNK lately! Feels like all I do lately is fix shit.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having to fix stuff is surely frustrating. That said, I'll take today's battery powered tools over dragging cords all over.

I'll happily take all of the 4-stroke mowers/blowers/trimmers/small engines over the old 2-strokes. I just finished putting a $12 carb on my 14yr old mower. 30Min and it's back to 1-pull operation. That's it's 2nd new carb. 8 bolts, 2-springs, 2 gaskets and I also got a new plug and a new air filter just because. Yes, carbs used to be re-buildable. For $12, I'm not taking another 60Min rebuilding diddly-squat.

Don't even get me started on the superiority of EFI over any form of carbureration.

My '11 F250 turned over 218K on the way home yesterday. Ford replaced the radiator and EGR under warrantee. I've replied both front hubs and auto-lockouts along w/ball-joints and Tie-Rod ends. I also had all the rubber hoses for the vacuum auto 4WD replaced. I'd happily load it up and tow whatever needed towed to wherever it needed towed right now with nothing needed except a fill-up before I hit the road.

Appliances however are absolutely not as durable as they once were. Fridges and freezers from the 50's and 60's still plugging along when new stuff is lucky to make a decade.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gone through three dishwashers in the last 4 years.

The replacement parts are unavailable.

Very upset.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a $80,000 travel trailer last fall to replace one I bought 20 years ago. I’ve been fixing something on the new one every time I use it. I hope it lasts 10 years.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a $80,000 travel trailer last fall to replace one I bought 20 years ago. I’ve been fixing something on the new one every time I use it. I hope it lasts 10 years.
Yup, very believable. We bought a nearly new, slightly used camper after the 97 flood. A couple bought it new and lived in it for 2 months. We had it for 3 years before the log cabin for 17 years. Then went back and bought a new camper the fall of 2019. What a disappointment. Wish we had our old one back.

Last edited:

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just talked to a buddy that had replaced all kitchen appliances 3 years ago, in one week the dishwasher, washing machine, and refrigerator all went out. Glad my fridge made it 20 years, boy I miss Sears

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gone through three dishwashers in the last 4 years.

The replacement parts are unavailable.

Very upset.
I too had this exact 3 in 4 dishwasher ordeal.
Purchased a higher end one from our local guys, and made sure to get the one with the most warranty available, we have had the service guy out 3 times for various issues, only cost us a couple hundred bucks the last time as the part was warrantied, the labor was not.... :mad:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Washer made it 5 years till it leaked all over then two weeks ago the dryer shit the bed. Slamming the door i guess isnt the fix when the computer is out. Bought a washer with little to no electronics and then dryer is as plain jane as you can get

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88