Filet Wars

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a very "doable" feat with a Rapala HD electric and a set of Berkely slim blades.

Regarding the slim blades, one must alter them a litle with a dremel to get them to insert/remove properly from the HD Rapala. Matter of fact, anything other than the blades that come with the HD must be modified slightly. The HD has a slightly different retainer profile within the housing. It's a 2min fix on a set of blades with a dremel and the die grinding bit.

Still not going to use an electric knife. SO THERE!!!!!!!!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still not going to use an electric knife. SO THERE!!!!!!!!!

You took 12 years to get through college. I didn't expect you to learn anything quickly about fish filleting either. (grin)

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could never be victorious in "Fillet Wars" as I would lose time by asking the host to please shut the eff up a lot.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
You took 12 years to get through college. I didn't expect you to learn anything quickly about fish filleting either. (grin)

12 years? That's not too bad really.

I was in the same boat until I tried one; anyone that thinks they are faster with a fillet knife, I've got a 100 that says they aren't. And that goes along with end results; there is no meat left behind (unless there's too much alcohol involved).

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

It was 17 years to finish my education. However, during that time I learned there are several ways to fillet a fish or accomplish many various tasks. The Norwegian way, the Nodakangler way, and then the correct way. Feel free to chose for yourself which way you wish to go about finishing any task put before you. (Double Grin)

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was 17 years to finish my education. However, during that time I learned there are several ways to fillet a fish or accomplish many various tasks. The Norwegian way, the Nodakangler way, and then the correct way. Feel free to chose for yourself which way you wish to go about finishing any task put before you. (Double Grin)

17 years and you are done is pretty good! I have some questions; only a few pertain to fishing!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some questions too. However, the only answers I'm interested in is the ones pertaining to fishing. If you can give me the answers, I might be able to come up with the pertinent questions. However, if you asked me the questions for which I have no answer would they still be pertinent to the current questioning?? Similarly, if I gave you fishing answers, would that satisfy the pertinence for which you were asking the questions concerning fishing or not? Now, seeing as we've come this far in the discussion.........what was the question???

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some questions too. However, the only answers I'm interested in is the ones pertaining to fishing. If you can give me the answers, I might be able to come up with the pertinent questions. However, if you asked me the questions for which I have no answer would they still be pertinent to the current questioning?? Similarly, if I gave you fishing answers, would that satisfy the pertinence for which you were asking the questions concerning fishing or not? Now, seeing as we've come this far in the discussion.........what was the question???

Haha,

I guarantee you it wasn't a question about a queer fisherman.... :;:sorry

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone whos good at cleaning fish with a traditional knife would put BOTH of those 2 to shame. Seriously those electric knives make it easy, but not what I would call fast by any measure....

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just an example, but standard knife in a skilled hand will always be faster than an electric.

Electric = easy
standard = fast

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just an example, but standard knife in a skilled hand will always be faster than an electric.

Electric = easy
standard = fast

Not from what I've seen at LOW cleaning stations in the winters! ;:;rofl Can get some pretty good laughs watching these people from the big city try clean a fish with a standard knife.

I have a buddy who insists on cleaning with a standard knife as well. I'm finished and drinking beer while he's carefully cutting around the rib cages telling me how much meat I wasted. I can look at him through my rib cages they're so thin, and I'll say "yeah you can have that extra half millimeter of fish around the rib cage. I'll keep drinking beer."

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only advantages IMO for an electric would be bigger fish or fish with stout ribcages or if you were from Wisconsin and needed to burn through 100 walleyes a piece. I was up against a Hmong gal with an electric once who kept right up with me and did a fine job of not wasting meat, but that was only once. The noise at a busy cleaning station is about enough to drive me nuts.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
fascinating upside-down rib removal technique in Lyc's video

unfortunate that the fish has to be placed flesh down onto the slime pile to make it happen ;:;barf

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I clean fish with a standard knife and can tell you that a good electric will do a better job faster and waste much less meat than a fillet knife. I have long fillet knives also to get extra leverage and they just arent as fast.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been watching a few videos, just to get some comparisons. I will admit that for most amateurs, which is pretty much everyone on this site, an electric will get the job done quicker and nicer. But still if you watch some of the professional guides, or people working on fish boats, etc, not a lot of them are using electrics and they go pretty darn quick. I have both and more often than not I prefer to use a standard knife and I dont feel it slows me down much.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Google worlds fastet fillet and watch the guy do some salmon, pretty damn quick. A good knife in the right hands plus experience is fast and efficient. I have asked for a Leech Lake Knife for Christmas, until then I will speed along with my electric.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't see it for some reason. But, I cut my eyes into three boneless pieces. After the tail is removed, one of the remaining cuts/pieces involves removing the ribs whilst the filet is laying ribs down.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 42
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14