Filet Wars

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can drink two beers in a 1:10 but clean two fish no way.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know I can be that fast but the quality might suffer. I honestly never use a "power knife" any more, I bought a Leech Lake knife a few years ago and absolutely LOVE using it even though it slows me down. I keep it really sharp and it zips right thru the rib bones like hot butter and I can get every ounce of meat off all the small fish I keep!;) Call me old fashioned but I just like the feel of a really good knife in my hand compared to an electric, I'll even use my old Gerber fillet knife before my electric. If I have a full family limit to clean I will break out the electric just so I'm not there for ever although I'm not impressed with the Rapala compared to the old American Angler my wife bought me 15yrs ago, the Rapala just doesn't seem to have the power my old one did.

Anybody have a Skinz It? That looks pretty darn slick!!! I've heard they are the cats meow and then some.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a very "doable" feat with a Rapala HD electric and a set of Berkely slim blades.

Regarding the slim blades, one must alter them a litle with a dremel to get them to insert/remove properly from the HD Rapala. Matter of fact, anything other than the blades that come with the HD must be modified slightly. The HD has a slightly different retainer profile within the housing. It's a 2min fix on a set of blades with a dremel and the die grinding bit.

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a very "doable" feat with a Rapala HD electric and a set of Berkely slim blades.

Regarding the slim blades, one must alter them a litle with a dremel to get them to insert/remove properly from the HD Rapala. Matter of fact, anything other than the blades that come with the HD must be modified slightly. The HD has a slightly different retainer profile within the housing. It's a 2min fix on a set of blades with a dremel and the die grinding bit.

The HD has incredible power and speed. It zips right through bigger fish from kill tournaments.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Rapala HD, but use the blades that came with it. May have to pick up a set of the slim blades and try your set up SDMF.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sdmf hooked me up with those thin blades for my cordless lithium ion rapala. It is a great setup and i have tested the blades and battery life alot. I was a loyal mr twister man too but no more cords for me. I am going to start cleaning fish in the boat.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thin blades are the bestest thing on the planet for panfish as well.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks SDMF. I'll be grabbing a set of Berkeley slim blades.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess when at the fillet table I am rarely in an extreme, haste makes waste hurry, if it takes me an extra couple minutes to BS, drink a blue yummy, and fillet my western ND dinks, I am fine with that.

Was a pretty cool video though.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll have to check those blades out too. I actually like cleaning fish and will always volunteer to clean the catch.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you clean fish on the water how do you keeping an identifying spot for the warden?

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll have to check those blades out too. I actually like cleaning fish and will always volunteer to clean the catch.

As do I. I usually don't take any fish other than the ones I have cleaned myself. Plenty of kids and picky adults eat my fish and would complain about bones. This way the only person to blame is me.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also love cleaning fish and take great pride in getting the fillets perfect with no waste. The Berkeley blades on my cordless knife are amazing. U have to try it.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, they weren't that fast.

I haven't timed myself; will have to try that sometime. With my American Angler without trying to be fast I suspect I'm pretty close to there speed. For WIW, caught my second tagged fish of the year today; 16 5/8 about two miles up the Grand. He is not going to be present for future research.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you clean fish on the water how do you keeping an identifying spot for the warden?

It is legal to clean fish on the water. U have to keep the guts and follow the rules is all.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year I cleaned 20 in 10 minutes and I wasn't even racing. I know this because thats how long it took the rest of my family to find their knives to help clean their fish. Had them done before they found their knives.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14