Fish Guts

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last time I have ghts, I had 20 trees to plant. Dug the holes and dropped in some in each hole (luckly had got 10 eyes the day before and another 10 the morning of.) Otherwise it goes In my grass clipping pile. I live out in the country.

Thought I would give an update with a lesson learned. Was mowing the lawn this weekend when I notice that 10 or so of the trees I had place the fish carcases under appeared to have been incorrectly packed. They had what looked like sink holes. Upon going back and trying to fill them in, it was not in fact from piss poor compaction, but a mental issue of the planter. A (or multiple) coons decided they wanted the remains more than I thought the trees needed them. I had buried the remains 18-24 inches deep.

So I do NOT recommend placing these under seedlings. Maybe a big balled trees. I don't know if the trees that had the vermin issues will survive.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to raise a bunch of rabbits and when i butchered them I dug trenches between the row of cedar trees I had planted for the head, hide and guts. after the first year you could tell where I had buried them. I live in town now so the fish guts go in the freezer then in the trash.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I double-bag and put in garbage can. Doubt I could get the wife to let me put fish guts in the freezer...she's not a fan of crawlers in the fridge.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad made us bury them in the garden. Post hole digger worked good. I never use a fish cleaning station. Now I just put them in a dumpster. Usually the one at the ramp here in Yates. I hope it stinks bad so the drinkers don't stay too long down by the ramp.

Ha ha. I know all those drinkers. Fish gut smell wouldn't be the worse or the stinkiest of their problems.

I double bag and throw them in the garbage. Will start putting them in the grass clipping tote; sounds like a reasonable idea.

- - - Updated - - -

I ussually ask the guy next to the green button to push it

Agreed. Once the cleaning station is open, they get ground to a pulp.

What does everyone think is a good cleaning station? Any 'must haves?'

DarkWhiskey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I place the guts on a nob about 254 yds away from my front window hoping to catch a coyote wanting fish for supper or breakfast. Love country livin :;:rockit

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
fish cleaning station, in the winter the garbage right at my house.
The garden thing is good, but I am not going to save the fish guts from the lake and haul them home 85 miles to put them in the garden.
I have a farm friend the gives me all the manure I need for garden purposes, and it smells better!! ;:;barf

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 180
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84