Fishing Pontoon

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked at fishing pontoon today, and have a few questions for guys that have them. (Kurtr) The one I looked at had no rod holders on the rails, just a couple factory ones in the back. My concern is that if I put them on the rail, the tarp won't fit. Also, it has a 60 HP on it. How slow will it troll? It doesn't have a trolling motor on the front. I would put one on, how big should it be? If you have bow mount, how much is it in the way when not in the water?

Thanks in advance

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the few 'toons I've fished out of, removable rod holders are what most guys were using. Make sure there is a place to mount a rod holder close to the drivers seat. It seems obvious, but I've seen enough models that lack an adequate spot for one to make it worth a look. Trolling motors mounted on the front of the decks never seem for be long enough or strong enough for the large wind resistance of a pontoon. If you use one, I would make it removable from the mounting plate as those that are permanently mounted tend to be tripping hazards when boarding or dismounting the boat. Especially when carrying heavy coolers and other bulky items. Most 60 hp motors should be able to slow you down enough especially if you backtroll. A very long handle net will be worth its weight in gold as well. Leaning over the rail to net fish WILL leave a mark on your midsection if you get on a good bite. LOL!! Good Luck!!!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run the rod holders you hook on the rail they don't seem to get in the way of the cover but have only used it twice. Having a couple of.awsome bosses that let you put it in there building is nice. I have a 60 and back troll into the wind and can go.real slow. I put a drift sock out front for.boat control have used the electric only a few times. Pretty much everything I know is what Schilling has shown me and it seems to work good. If you want to check the set up out let me know. I am on my phone so sorry for the horrible typing

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
hey rowdie, i just made the switch last year and am really enjoying it... got a 20' g3 with a blue 90 and added an elite 7, 80# 60" terrova with i pilot on a puck, and some ram rod holders... most toons have either 7/8" or 1 1/4" rails, and you can get rod holder mounts for either and fit fine under my tarp with holders removed... 80# works well for me, but anything bigger, or for fishing current, i would go bigger... it is in the way when not in use, but comes off with 1 pin pulled... the head sits about 2' above the motor base unless it's really rough...

it is different than running a boat, but not alot... i thought i would get blown around bad, but is much better than expected... seems "planted" in the water even in the wind... for example, if you cut power, the bow doesn't spin around in the wind like a boats will... the storage is less than a boat, but the floor space, ride, and stability is incredible... the 90 pushes me about 24 with 2 people, 18 with 4, and trolls down to about 1.5 for pulling cranks...

my attitude about toons has changed 180 degrees... my next boat will be a 22-24 foot triple tube with a minimum of 225 horse with a wot of at least 45...

wish you were closer... would let you run it for a day to see what you think... good luck!!!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not exactly new at fishing pontoons. My dad bought one when I was 7 in the mid 70's. It was old then, metal pontoons, and we used into the 2000's. It leaked bad in the end, and was so rusted from the inside it couldn't be welded any more times. We had a 35 HP on it and could troll down to troll bouncers. I grew up thinking that was the only way to fish. In the 90's we rigged a tiller troller up front and drifted lindy rigs and jagged too. It pulled cranks really nice and I've been addicted for 20+ years now. It also sat very low in the water. Top speed was bout 15, but the last 15 years was 10 mph due to the leaking.

The mounts for rod holders on rails concern me with the tarp. Can some post a pic or link to the mounts they use? I'm guessing that to troll down for cranks and BB I'll have to pull a drift sock. I was thinking I could just pull it between the pontoons going forward. But I know a lot of guys go backwards. It sounds like the front troller will just be in the way when not in use. I may wait before I put one on to see hoe bad I really need it.

I wish I could design the whole floor plan.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
s7_022793_imageset_02hei127wid127-1.jpg

this is what i use... prolly adds 1/4" over the top of the rail with rounded phillips screws on the outside and available in 1 1/4" and 7/8" for different sized rails... it is a scotty mount and also fits ram rod holders... doesn't interfere with my tarp...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a guy who builds them to your specs. Price is pretty reasonable Chad Schilling and his dad have one. Buckley has had his for.a.year and loves it. He hasn't been able.to break it so it must be built like a tank. I need to change oil in the next few days so I will take some pics of the rod holders.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep that is exactly what I got to.
20140510_090125.jpg
Can kind.of see them in this pic

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
we're really looking at getting one too. I can't imagine anything more cool than drift fishing with all the grandkids in there and bbqing while fishing.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been thinking of getting a pontoon, what are some of the things to look for in a used one?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
if the pontoons dont leak and the floor is sturdy i would think you would be good to go. I got a 20' suntracker hold over new from dougs anchor marine in watertown and got a hell of a deal on it so looking for hold overs is a good way to go to.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
THANKS! That looks like it would work perfect!

- - - Updated - - -

s7_022793_imageset_02hei127wid127-1.jpg

this is what i use... prolly adds 1/4" over the top of the rail with rounded phillips screws on the outside and available in 1 1/4" and 7/8" for different sized rails... it is a scotty mount and also fits ram rod holders... doesn't interfere with my tarp...

THANKS AGAIN not used to the new site

- - - Updated - - -

There is a guy who builds them to your specs. Price is pretty reasonable Chad Schilling and his dad have one. Buckley has had his for.a.year and loves it. He hasn't been able.to break it so it must be built like a tank. I need to change oil in the next few days so I will take some pics of the rod holders.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep that is exactly what I got to.
image.jpg
Can kind.of see them in this pic

Thanks for helping me out. I don't want to make payments (for more than at most a year) so I'm in the 15K range right now, so it looks like I'll have to go used.

Do they hold their value like the older Rangers?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
not quite like a ranger:). I think you will be able to get some thing really nice in that 15k range just have to look around a bit if i hear of any smoking deals i will let you know

i just looked on dougs anchor marine and there is a 2013 suntracker about the same as mine for 16000 but i bet you could deal and get it down to what you want to pay

http://www.dougsanchormarine.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=318085&pov=4206232

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking about finding a set of floats and a deck or a pontoon that is bad up top. Then tearing it all off and building it how I want it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
not quite like a ranger:). I think you will be able to get some thing really nice in that 15k range just have to look around a bit if i hear of any smoking deals i will let you know

i just looked on dougs anchor marine and there is a 2013 suntracker about the same as mine for 16000 but i bet you could deal and get it down to what you want to pay

http://www.dougsanchormarine.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=318085&pov=4206232

I've been looking for a few years, and came across Dougs then. I sure would like to test drive them

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
they are about 1 mile from the dock on kampeska i would bet you could get a test drive.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 114
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41