Ford coming out with new Diesel in F150

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ford F-150 diesel coming in 2018 - Fox News
https://apple.news/AwtSZjte1Sjeowo_9HRcVzw

Man this is going to be tempting not to upgrade. I really like the new Nissan diesel so it may be a tough decision if I upgrade. Anyone have the new Nissan? What do you guys think of this new f150?

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toyota is suppose to be releasing a diesel. I think it's the same engine as a Nissan, but is suppose to have a 6 speed Allison trany.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ran my '06 6.0L F250 to 90K. Current '11 6.7L is @ 102K and I'll run it a while longer but it's my last diesel unless much of the complexity goes away. The MPG differential isn't nearly what it used to be. The fuel costs 20-50 cents/gal more than gasoline. The avg $200 oil changes when you figure in filters every other change start to really suck as well. I have my oil/filters done @ the Ford dealer and non-fuel filter oil change is ~$90, a fuel filter and oil change (every other @ 10K mi) is ~$300.

None of the new diesels from any manufacturers whether they're pickups, SUV's, or passenger cars are really "daily driver in-town" friendly. To run properly, you HAVE to get them up to operating temp. If you don't, they have reliability problems that start from the back (exhaust) and work their way forward. Example: Cold weather and short in-town trips = Frozen DEF leads to plugged DPF leads to EGR issues.

If a person can make a 20-40min uninterrupted cruise @ highway speeds every day then they're unlikely to have that trouble but 5-10min trips here and there around town don't come anywhere close to getting things up to operating temp. Your DEF doesn't defrost and you're DPF doesn't have a chance to complete a full regeneration cycle. Even when the weather is warm a 10min drive across town through traffic, stop signs, lights, corners etc doesn't allow for a completed regeneration cycle of the DPF even when the DEF is thawed. It's not strictly a cold weather problem its an "uninterrupted running time @ operating temp" problem.

Ford, Ram, GM, Volkswagon, Nissan, Mercedes, etc, etc, etc all have this same issue, I'm not singling out any brand.

While it may be written about, I'll be very surprised if Ford actually brings an F150 diesel to market.

- - - Updated - - -

Toyota is suppose to be releasing a diesel. I think it's the same engine as a Nissan, but is suppose to have a 6 speed Allison trany.

Pretty sure the Toyota will come with an Aisin tranny, not an Allison.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Half ton pickups with diesels are nice for fuel mileage but that's about it. It give people a sense of security that they can pull loads bigger than what there pickups brakes and suspensions can handle.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just don't really see the appeal of a diesel half ton. Sure they get better mileage, but doesnt higher fuel and maintenance costs negate that? Also, the amount you can pull with the diesel will be limited by the capability of the half ton. If your consistently pulling large loads you still want a 3/4 or bigger. I guess you can now put stacks out the back and "roal coal" with a half ton, so they will have that going for them...which is nice!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Half ton pickups with diesels are nice for fuel mileage but that's about it. It give people a sense of security that they can pull loads bigger than what there pickups brakes and suspensions can handle.

That!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like how diesels "idle" down the road - half ton diesels do too. There's something soothing about taking a diesel down the road.

that said my hemi never revs to stressful/loud levels pulling boats/snowmobiles either so I'm very happy I went gas a couple years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Four corner suspension on RAMs is the real deal. Its ability to load level makes me feel very comfortable pulling anything - even if the bed is piled high with stuff too. My 99 ram would hit the cushions and feel all sproingy - yikes.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sproingy is that in the English Dictionary? :;:rockit

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will believe it when I see it. I think it's pointless, personally. I have the ecoboost and it will pull everything I ask it to. If I ever step into a different pickup it will likely be a 3/4 ton. I disagree with kickem because I pull at the limit with my pickup and haven't ever felt unsafe. The suspension and brakes work flawlessly and are not under sized. I would move into a 3/4 ton to have a bigger anchor on the front of my rig. Hell, look at the 3/4 tons from not long ago and they weren't much more pickup in weight or capability, and it was fine for people to run them then. Problem is now men don't consider themselves men unless they have a 3/4 ton a 1/2 ton would do everything most people that have a 3/4 ton would ever need.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just seen the Comercial for this. Pointless if u ask me. Buddy has the dog 1/2 TON with diesel. It gets crazy good mileage but can't pull anything real heavy he says. Must be from the extra weight? I dunno I run a 3/4 ton diesel pulling a 5th wheel and big glass boat.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i grew up running the simple diesels of the 70's and 80's and hated all of them in the winter... pain in the ass pure and simple as well as a worry of what if... i was elated when ram came out with the 6.4 hemi and i believe i had the first 1 in the state... for loads up to 15k, you simply don't need it anymore, and with the initial cost, service cost, fuel cost, and blends or additives in the winter, i'm not sure you could make it pencil out...

but, there's a new generation now that needs to figure out for themselves if it's right for them...

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is Ford still going to use my recycled Busch light cans to make the body?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will believe it when I see it. I think it's pointless, personally. I have the ecoboost and it will pull everything I ask it to. If I ever step into a different pickup it will likely be a 3/4 ton. I disagree with kickem because I pull at the limit with my pickup and haven't ever felt unsafe. The suspension and brakes work flawlessly and are not under sized. I would move into a 3/4 ton to have a bigger anchor on the front of my rig. Hell, look at the 3/4 tons from not long ago and they weren't much more pickup in weight or capability, and it was fine for people to run them then. Problem is now men don't consider themselves men unless they have a 3/4 ton a 1/2 ton would do everything most people that have a 3/4 ton would ever need.

Bring you 1/2 ton to pull what I do with my 3/4 and have things go bad and will see what your opinion is worth. I pull at and slightly past and it handles it fine, until a bad suprise then it makes one go crap I maybe could have gone to a 1 ton.
That being said I bought my truck for pulling more that driving but use it for llonger travels.

- - - Updated - - -

But most of todays 3/4 diesel drivers you are correct about, myself and getting to be a few others are becoming the rare cases.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a 2004 Duramax that is pushing 350,000 miles. It is paid for and I see no need to change to a new one.... If and when I buy something else, it will be a gasser.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I doubt I'll buy another diesel. I loved my 07 duramax, but it was expensive to run, and honestly I just didn't need it. It was a pleasure to drive though. I know have a half ton with a 6.2 and love it as well. Does anything I need it to and the ride is awesome.

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the F150s, however would only get a gas engine. I've been running 3/4 ton diesel pick-ups since 2005 for pulling a 5th wheel. Once the camper is gone so will be the diesel. As previously mentioned the maintenance and higher fuel costs are the main negatives. Extreme cold is also a concern. I've never had fuel gel but it's in the back of my mind when we're well below zero.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 2004 5.9 cummins with manual 6 speed has 112,000 miles so that goes to show the amount of use, had 47,000 in 2006 when I bought it. Figure it will be lasting me a lifetime and have no plans of getting another diesel. IF I were to ever think about getting another 3/4 ton for a backup truck it will most likely be a gas, 1/2 ton would for sure be gas. Cost and maintence plus the things that can be done to gas engines these days for power and mileage it is just making sense.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55