Ford did you really fk up the 5.0 -- wow

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I take it out of overdrive. By Struggle, I mean it pulls hard. Luckily I only pull it about 3 miles to campground. I drive up a big hill though and on hot days I can't run the AC or it'll heat up pulling it just to the campground. I would say it works hard to get going, if that makes any sense. I'm guessing the 5.0 will be worse...?? no?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a 35ft overall camper --- my 3.5 i swar you did not know you were pulling a boat or a camper --- except for the fuel mileage went to shit. It had 6 gears and i swear the sob never shifted - it just sucked fuel
I have the 3.5 in my pickup and pulling my 18 ft fish house. It pulls it good, but I do know its back there and mileage running empty about 80 mph on interstate I get 17.5 to 18.5 mpg with no wind. If its windy 14.0 to 15.0. Pulling my fish house about 11 mpg.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I take it out of overdrive. By Struggle, I mean it pulls hard. Luckily I only pull it about 3 miles to campground. I drive up a big hill though and on hot days I can't run the AC or it'll heat up pulling it just to the campground. I would say it works hard to get going, if that makes any sense. I'm guessing the 5.0 will be worse...?? no?
Got it, thanks. I had an '01 and an '05 5.4L and can't say I ever saw the temp creep up on either of them in ~150K combined between the 2. You ever use a garden hose and get all the dust/bugs out of your radiator? Obviously don't do this when it's warm, just pick a nice day before you drive the truck or after it's cooled down to ambient temp and spray out any/all of the stuff.

I had a '17 Murano that never towed a thing and never left the pavement, just lots of Highway miles. It got warm on me twice then I sprayed out the radiator and it never happened again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33