Ford did you really fk up the 5.0 -- wow

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i did not realize that ford followed chevy and started deactivating cylinders. and now the same fallout --- oil burning.

Dumb

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did it ever save significant mpg anyway?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really?? Those MFers....love the ol 5.4 L I hate 4 door pickups anyway, so I'll just keep driving my 03 till the tires won't stay on.
Not available since about 2010 or 2011.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
No as proven, deactivating cylinders didn't accomplish jack shit,neither did the engine shutting down at a stop,well GM had significant warranty claims on powertrain work,then GM reduced they're 100k mile power training warranty to 60k.

Now the standard engine on GM light duty trucks...2.7 4 banger.worthless for anything except getting groceries.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just picked up a 2023 F150 last week for my work vehicle, I so far love it, they no longer have that stupid engine shut down. Its the 5.0, seems plenty peppy, however I haven't pulled with it yet.
Back seat is big, ordered it with the longer 6.5 box, feels like a pickup.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 5.4 struggles pulling my 27 ft camper the way it is. It doesn't have the tow package. A guy needs to keep his eyes out for older trucks in good shape and snap them up!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So much is determined by the rear end and transmission that are behind the motor

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 5.4 struggles pulling my 27 ft camper the way it is. It doesn't have the tow package. A guy needs to keep his eyes out for older trucks in good shape and snap them up!
I'm not arguing, nor discounting what you say when I ask:

What does "struggling" mean to you? With that kind of load behind any gas motor pickup I'd expect to lock out Overdrive like you could on an '03 on the end of the gear-selector stalk, even if you've got 3:73's, the lowest gears they offered in a 1/2Tn F150 of that vintage.

So do you mean it shifts from 3rd down to 2nd sometimes? Can't maintain a certain speed? Or does your camper push your tow vehicle around?

I kind of have the same questions for the folks who are in what I consider the opposite camp, the one's who claim:

"You don't even know it's back there."

When towing this or that behind a given vehicle. Cripes, I can tell when I've got an empty AL snowmobile trailer behind a 3/4tn Diesel. It doesn't weigh much but the truck drives/rides starts/stops significantly different. I certainly don't strain anything towing my boat with the same pickup, but, I can sure as heck tell it's there, again, it rides/drives/starts/stops completely different.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just picked up a 2023 F150 last week for my work vehicle, I so far love it, they no longer have that stupid engine shut down. Its the 5.0, seems plenty peppy, however I haven't pulled with it yet.
Back seat is big, ordered it with the longer 6.5 box, feels like a pickup.
the sales guy told you that to make the sale. I bet it has it. He probably said run it in sports mode -- but still all the oil burnin stuff is still in the engine. GM Dodge all draink the koolaide.

Toyota said nay

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a 35ft overall camper --- my 3.5 i swar you did not know you were pulling a boat or a camper --- except for the fuel mileage went to shit. It had 6 gears and i swear the sob never shifted - it just sucked fuel

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33