Fort Peck

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll catch fish jigging, like 5575 said you have good days and bad. If the spot makes it possible drop a tipup or two in shallow for pike and lake trout just to not limit your opportunities. Having a chance at a laker makes things a bit more exciting.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Figured I'd dig up the old thread.

Finally going to make the Peck trip happen. Heading out there Feb. 20-24. Figure with the cold temps last week and this coming week, there should be good ice. Just reread everything already posted, and we will be drilling a ton of holes when moving, just to be continuously checking.

I think we will try to stick to the north end, access seems better and we won't have to wreck our stuff getting back into Hell Creek area. Navionics shows a ton of structure and some steep drops where we can try for lakers. Looking forward to it!

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want some more info go ahead and message me. I am not a very experience Fort Peck angler but been out there a few times. Two years ago we spent 4 days ice fishing around the dam area, stayed in the hotel there and had a good time at the bar across the road, it closes early sometimes though especially for food. We fished the north shore and got on the ice in Duck creek I believe. Took a Ranger and we drove all over but beware of driving over points or close to shore. The ice really thins out over shallow water where the sun warms the rocks underneath. While we were there two four wheelers fell through. It gets freaky driving over 150-200 feet of water on a foot of ice too. We set tipups all over and tried jigging and didn't have the best luck. The pressure was all over the place with a system moving in. If you want to find lakers look for underwater islands and humps that come up to about 30-50 feet deep with 100 feet or more of water nearby. We were able to mark a lot of them but had a hell of a time getting a bite.

For pike we set smelt in 8-12 feet and caught some nice ones up to 9lbs. Didn't catch a walleye the whole trip but we were mostly pike/trout fishing. It is a daunting lake to fish as there is so much structure and not many people fishing so its hard to draw any idea of what to do. The locals just seemed to spread tipups out on every point and drive around all day checking them.

We also fished Bear Creek Bay on the east side. We caught some nice lakers there fall fishing the year before and thought we could get to the same humps we caught them in open water but no luck with all the pressure ridges. The pressure ridges there open and close all day long and it could be easy to get stuck somewhere. We considered crossing the main ridge across the bay to get to the sunken islands as in the morning the gap was only a foot or so in some places. Lucky we didn't as during the day it kept widening and by night the pressure ridge had upwards of 6 feet of open water. We crossed some places where the ice was cracked through and the sheets moved a lot during the day.

I don't think we ever saw much more than 18" of ice with most areas about 12" or less. Best of luck and be safe out there, its wild country.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure the main lake is even frozen over yet, it has been much warmer out there. The satellite pic's have been a little cloudy the past few days, so its hard to tell, but it was open just a few days ago by the looks of it.

I've been wanting to get out there one of these years, but not sure it will happen this year again.

Last edited:

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
As of this past weekend it was wide open on the dam side. This image is from Jan 22

Capture.JPG

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
a lady i work with has family out there and has a pick of some one ice fishing where a boat looks like it would be a better option

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've read some reports from places out there that said the main lake is frozen. After the deep freeze of last week and this upcoming deep freeze, supposedly 5-6 days below zero, should be some decent ice. Back in the bays if nothing else.

Is the water really clear over there? Is there a lot of submerged timber and/or weeds?

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Water is not clear typically. West end where ice fished before was dirty water

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any info on a good starting depth for walleyes? Are they around the main lake points or back in the bays?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody seen the pictures of the massive walleyes they have been pulling out of ft peck? I heard they just broke the new state record and many other 16 pound fish have been caught. Sounds like they are targeting them off the back bay channels. I may to schedule a trip over there instead of Winnepeg!

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We are heading over there tomorrow after work!

Planning on fishing the north end though, probably spend a lot of time targeting lakers. As of 4 days ago, sounds like 4-5" of ice across the big part of the lake, 16-20" back in the bays. 10-12" of snow on the ice, causing some slush around cracks and ridges.

From what I've gathered, most of the bigger walleyes are caught in the southern part of the lake and back bays. Maybe we will get lucky and find some decent walleye fishing on the north end.

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are heading over there tomorrow after work!

Planning on fishing the north end though, probably spend a lot of time targeting lakers. As of 4 days ago, sounds like 4-5" of ice across the big part of the lake, 16-20" back in the bays. 10-12" of snow on the ice, causing some slush around cracks and ridges.

From what I've gathered, most of the bigger walleyes are caught in the southern part of the lake and back bays. Maybe we will get lucky and find some decent walleye fishing on the north end.

Please report back this thread has had me very interested!! Good Luck!!

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had an OK trip on Peck. It was definitely a learning experience and the conditions were limiting. But we caught some fish and finally figured them out a bit on the last night and morning. Big thanks and thumbs up to Ed at Lakeridge Baitshop. We rolled in after they closed, and we were able to reach him on his cell phone from previous conversations. He and (assuming his wife) opened the shop back up and we were able to fuel up the truck, get licenses, and bait. He gave us a lot of info on current conditions and places to watch out for. Then on our way out we missed the turn and he called me right away and led us right down to the landing. Stand up guy for sure.

The lake had 11-12" of ice back in far backs of the bays, getting thinner the further out into the lake you go. Also 8-12" of snow on the ice. This combination led to a ton of slush on the lake. For whatever reason, Friday was the worst for slush, most of the snow got flooded and then froze Saturday-Sunday. Travel with ATVs with tires would be very easy now. Thinnest ice we fished was 4" about 1/2 mile out from the camel humps area around Duck Creek Bays. Water was clear about 8-10 ft visibility.

Wednesday- Got onto the lake around 830-900. Within the first 5 minutes and looking for a spot to park the Aluma Lite, I got stuck in a big slush pocket. Took us 45 minutes to pull the house back out. Ended up setting up in 18fow and put down some rattle reels for the overnight. No bites.

Thursday- We woke up right away to do some ice scouting. Tried to go NW towards the dam from Little Duck Creek Bay, found a ton of slush that we didn't want to pull the house through. Ended up going South from the Duck Creek Rec area, about a 1/4 mile out on a 16ft hump. Found some good stumps and trees on the side of the hump and parked the house there. Ice was about 10".
From there we headed out towards the area referred to as Camel Humps, a series of humps in between Little duck creek bay and Duck creek bay. We checked the ice very often as we were going, never found anything crazy thin, but it did get thinner going out toward the big water. We ended up trying for Lakers on some deeper humps around 50-60fow straight east of the camel humps on 4" of ice. No marks so we moved back onto a 22fow hump. Saw a few walleye on the camera, but tight lipped. Had a flag go up, ended up being a 10+lb laker, that I had up to the hole 2 times before he got off. After that we bumped around to some different areas scouting and went back to the skid house to fish the last couple hours before dark. No fish in the skid house.

Friday- We tried a point back in Little Duck Creek bay early morning, no fish. Then moved out to the camel hump area again and ended up settling on a long point on the south side of little duck creek bay in 16fow. Saw a ton of walleye on the camera but could only get 2 to bite, a 24" and a 17". Nice healthy walleyes. Also found a really thin ridge out from the point in 52fow that I tried for lakers for a bit. Had one up to the hole again before he got off and then had another chasing but couldn't get to bite. At the same time my partner was trying a different area and caught a 12-13lb pike. Then we moved back to the 16fow point for wallyes. Ended up catching 2 more pike around the 13-15lb range and one more around 5-6lbs.

Saturday- Tried the thin deeper ridge for lakers in the morning and caught one about 5-6lbs right away. Nothing after that. Then we spent the rest of the day bumping around the camel humps area trying to locate some fish. It was super slow and hardly saw anything. The wind came up and temp dropped. I settled on the same point we were on Friday, but up in 12fow. My partner was in 18fow on the drop off side of the point. I saw a ton of walleyes on the camera and caught 4, missing 3-4 other bites. By far the best period of the trip as far as aggressive fish. My partner only caught a 10lb pike and didn't see any walleye.

Sunday- We only had half a day to fish so went right back to the 12fow on the point. I caught 2 walleye right away, saw a lot of fish again. My partner was up in 11 fow and saw just a couple walleye, with one pretty nice one that wouldn't bite. Fish went away around 1030am, if we had more time I think we could've found them a little deeper on the point during the middle of the day.

All in all a big learning experience and we are looking forward to going back. Hopefully more ice next time and we can access more areas. Walleyes caught were about 50/50 on a smaller slender spoon with 1/2 minnow and full shiner on a 1/4oz chartuese jig. Lake trout caught on a green Storm 360 searchbait. The underwater camera was almost priceless, saw a lot more walleye with the camera then the flasher showed. It was surprising to see how many walleye were swimming around down there but would have 0 interest in your baits.
IMG_2608.jpg
IMG_2627.jpg
IMG_2639.jpg
IMG_2641.jpg

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^Thanks for the report. I would really like to try and get out there beginning of March and try for some lakers. You didn't try off the dam at all? It seemed like In-depth & Jason Mitchell both accessed and fished pretty much the same spot last year off the dam for lakers.

Grainbelt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heading that way on the 7th -10th, looking forward to it. Hope conditions are good for ATV traffic...

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would think the ice will only improve over the next couple weeks. Doesn't look like any warmer weather in the future, plus as I mentioned, a lot of the snow flooded and froze so the insulation of the snow is gone.

No we didn't try over by the dam. Wishing we would have, Ed from Lakeridge told us exactly where InDepth and Jason Mitchell pounded the lakers, but we felt we had enough spots to check out. Next time.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like you had a heck of an adventure! You put in your time and you'll get some dandies there in years to come!
I just had a great 10 days as well. I caught and released 9 fish 10-14 lbs in that time on two different trips up north and out west..great times!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40