Gas Powered Ice Augers

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I overheard an elderly gentleman telling someone that gas powered ice augers scare the fish away whereas electric augers do not. Any experience or intel here?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t buy this either. Any noise from the gas auger is only heard above the ice. Below the ice I believe the sound is similar. Pretty sure I saw an underwater video of this once upon a time.

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve often felt drilling holes (use to always be a gas auger) would attract fish. It is uncanny how often you pull a fish out of a fresh drilled hole.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
a couple more weeks like this and all you will see is gas augers and two extensions.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember an older Northern fisherman who would go out a ways away from his setup and run a big circle around it smacking the ice with the blunt end of an axe. He said it got the fish moving and he claimed that he caught more fish that way. I laughed at the time but secretly I've been tempted to set up next to a big weed bed and try it to flush a few walleyes out Just in case it works.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven’t used a gas auger in about 4 years. About ready to toss on an extension for ease of drilling inside. I wouldn’t worry about the noise of either unless super shallow. Then you have to watch your foot noise too.

- - - Updated - - -

Up on LOW they have what’s called a “Bomber Bite”. Noise can trigger fish at times for sure.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me thinks old timer is hittin the medical pot heavy.... in clear water less than 20' if fish are present I've seen fish spook when guys "ream" a fresh hole,lazy man's way of clearing a hole I guess.loud music,generator etc will spook fish anything generating vibration.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what about that sparklie boat with a 300hp motor zoomin' in at 70 mph. Does it scare the fish or attract the fish??? Should we be coming in under power or with our electric trolling motors. Apply your ice fishing thinking to your soft water fishing, eh?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what about that sparklie boat with a 300hp motor zoomin' in at 70 mph. Does it scare the fish or attract the fish??? Should we be coming in under power or with our electric trolling motors. Apply your ice fishing thinking to your soft water fishing, eh?

apples n oranges,12 ,15 20"s of ice act as a sound deadener below the ice,surface shadows will spook fish in clear water under clear ice more than anything else.

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the responses. Its good to see that we can all agree on something for a change! :;:thumbsup

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When setting out on the ice and you get one of those sonic ice booms I never seen a fish jump out of a hole.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I started with pick ax and crow bar , probably why I haven't ice fished in years

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like everything with fishing there isn't one answer. I've experience both fish not caring about noise as well as fish scattering immediately with footsteps above them. Both scenarios seen on live scope recently. Depends on the day, fish mood, weather, lake clarity, depth, and probably magic.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 34
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11