Giant Paddlefish

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great fish.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but having weighed more than a fair share of paddlefish, I would say this fish is 60-70 pounds. I take it your length measurement was tip of the rostrum to tip of the upper love of the tail to get 71 inches?

Standard measurements for paddlefish are actually taken from the eye to the very center of the tail, because they are often times missing part of one of the other - the state record 130 lb fish was also probably measured in a similar manner.

Really? Didn't know that. The record is 74" I think. My guess is that would be put it at least 10 pounds lighter. But if measured as you say then that's completely different altogether.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really? Didn't know that. The record is 74" I think. My guess is that would be put it at least 10 pounds lighter. But if measured as you say then that's completely different altogether.

That's how the GnF measures the fish. It's hard to standardize length/weight measures if you have a bunch of fish without body parts - can really skew the numbers. Looking at KDM's fish, that's not too far from the OP fish. Both great fish no doubt, but for those asking that's only half of the state record.

Thinking about it further, 74" would probably be rostrum to tail, not the measure I explained beforehand.

- - - Updated - - -

This one weighed 65 lbs and I'm 5'10''. Don't have a clue on how long it was.

Screenshot_20161215-101655.jpg

If you're 5'10", I don't think 69-70 inches is far from right on the button. Did you get that one this year?

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is me. This fish WAS NOT harvested. We were trolling for eyes, and happened to have a 25 minute fight for this "monster" fish. We took a picture and a boat next to me to a picture and was released RIGHT AWAY.

Nice fish. Its getting to the point where you don't want a picture taken anymore knowing the photo police will come out and criticize and make plenty of assumptions.

Jesse Hauff

Look up the North Dakota state record and look at mine. They were both measured the same way. I'm 6 feet tall.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope Camoman, that fish was from 2013. The only one I've ever caught, though I'm headin' out tomorrow to see if I can get another one.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look up the North Dakota state record and look at mine. They were both measured the same way. I'm 6 feet tall.

I understand what you're saying Jesse, but the fact of the matter is just because they are nearly the same length doesn't put the fish in the same ballfield. The largest fish I've ever seen were actually on the shorter side. Example, 120 pound fish that was 48 inches standard measurement and a 96 pound fish that was 54 inches. That's just how paddlefish grow. Have a look at the two pictures and tell me what you think.

paddlefish10.jpg

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope Camoman, that fish was from 2013. The only one I've ever caught, though I'm headin' out tomorrow to see if I can get another one.

Weather looks gorgeous. Sounds like you're coming up just as I'm leaving. That's too bad. Good luck K. Been watching the fish jumping for a week now.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that sucks Ghost!!!! How's you paddledrinking trip been this year??

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Have fun drinking. Maybe try and catch a fish while you're there!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have fun drinking. Maybe try and catch a fish while you're there!

I'm going to chunk some lead when I'm there, but I figure someone has to cook for these DRUNKS I'm going with, so that's what I think I will be doing most. Got some Elk, Venison, eggs, bacon, and beans for starters. Whatever they bring will just put topping on the cake.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great fish.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but having weighed more than a fair share of paddlefish, I would say this fish is 60-70 pounds. I take it your length measurement was tip of the rostrum to tip of the upper love of the tail to get 71 inches?

Standard measurements for paddlefish are actually taken from the eye to the very center of the tail, because they are often times missing part of one of the other - the state record 130 lb fish was also probably measured in a similar manner.

That fish is definitely better than 60-70 but I wouldn't put it near 130 either. I bet it's closer to 90-95.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 42
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14